Ares Games
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Early War Campaign

No kill, it's -1 per wound modifier so -2 in this case - that sound ominous !!

I haven't rolled yet waiting for confirmation. When I get home today I will, with shaky hand, roll the bones. I will wait until I finish the write up though, I love the suspense.

Dave I know limited ammo is not in the optional rules bit but are you OK with my using it for my games. I'm trying to stick to the aircraft required and always, well 99.9%, to the game parameters.

Signed: Hopeful
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Or even the 38 - 40 Age group..... Have trouble remembering half the rules most of the time!
    Whew i thought I was the only one

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Very worried now about how I play the campaign
    Play it to enjoy it . As long as everyone sticks to the OTT house rules we can all have a fun time shooting, or being ,shot up.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Dave I know limited ammo is not in the optional rules bit but are you OK with my using it for my games. I'm trying to stick to the aircraft required and always, well 99.9%, to the game parameters.Signed: Hopeful
    For me it's an issue of conscience, if you're gaining an advantage using a house rule or mechanic that others wouldn't benefit from by playing by the standard rules then I'd rather you didn't do it - but it's up to you - having said that if your rule/mechanic balances itself out then go at it !
    We all play slightly differently (vive la difference) which we all accept, for example: my altitude rules give me some advantage shooting between levels, but I've also missed as many shots due to a restriction on stalls and sideslips (and it's very frustrating!). I also shoot peg to peg so my shooting opportunities are less but equally it can be easier for me to slip away. There's a balance in those rules.
    What I don't think is acceptable, and I'm sure most would agree, are house rules that all but guarantee kills or go towards enabling such. There's no challenge or respect in that and little point either.
    I'm thinking that your Lewis may be a little too restricted (you'll have to play it to be sure) but other than that both sides have limited ammo so there should be balance there.

Dave I know limited ammo is not in the optional rules bit but are you OK with my using it for my games. I'm trying to stick to the aircraft required and always, well 99.9%, to the game parameters.Signed: Hopeful
    For me it's an issue of conscience, if you're gaining an advantage using a house rule or mechanic that others wouldn't benefit from by playing by the standard rules then I'd rather you didn't do it - but it's up to you - having said that if your rule/mechanic balances itself out then go at it !
    We all play slightly differently (vive la difference) which we all accept, for example: my altitude rules give me some advantage shooting between levels, but I've also missed as many shots due to a restriction on stalls and sideslips (and it's very frustrating!). I also shoot peg to peg so my shooting opportunities are less but equally it can be easier for me to slip away. There's a balance in those rules.
    What I don't think is acceptable, and I'm sure most would agree, are house rules that all but guarantee kills or go towards enabling such. There's no challenge or respect in that and little point either.
    I'm thinking that your Lewis may be a little too restricted (you'll have to play it to be sure) but other than that both sides have limited ammo so there should be balance there.

I've never ran out of ammo, came close to it. I just thought it lends another slant to when to stay and when to go. (ie ammo or no ammo).

Question So who is up to write the next scenario?

'mornin Chaps.
    With September approaching like a Freight Train I just wondered who is due to post our next Early Doors Scenario?

Rob should be up next. The list is the 5th page on the rules thread, Scenario Running Order.

I've never ran out of ammo, came close to it. I just thought it lends another slant to when to stay and when to go. (ie ammo or no ammo).
    It wasn't the amount of ammo but rather how quick it runs dry ie the opportunity to catch someone re-loading comes round quicker but having seen what you said happens in your games it obviously isn't an issue for the Tommy pilots !

It is indeed I chaps.
    Be ready to receive something very different, and on a totally different scale from that which has gone before in several ways. I am running my test scenario tomorrow.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Will there be G&T involved? (Ground attack on Trenches)

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sorry Peter - straffing trenches isn't G&T, it's actually a Rum do (although my chaps will wine about it if they have to go near those *%$&#@$ rifle-firing trenches again!)

No such luck Peter. You will have to raise your game this time.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    No such luck Peter. You will have to raise your game this time.
    Rob.
    So you think I have to raise my game huh? Might be tough as I'm spending half the month in your neighborhood. Time will be tight but we'll see what your scenario has to offer.

Oh quite true, the nasty blighters. I need a few more Rumplers to shove it up'em, as I heard a quaint English Sergeant once say.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It wasn't the amount of ammo but rather how quick it runs dry ie the opportunity to catch someone re-loading comes round quicker but having seen what you said happens in your games it obviously isn't an issue for the Tommy pilots !

Found an interesting tidbit; a Bristol scout that could fire vertically with a wing mounted Lewis. Definitely not a foster mount. Apparently a spring held it down unless one wanted to reload; then he could reach up and pull it down. I believe the aircraft was flown by Charles Gordon Bell since the picture appears with text about him and the photo is from late 1915.

Another interesting tidbit was apparently some of the scouts had a wing mounted Lewis on a swivel so they could shoot it different directions. This was later discarded as the gun wobbled too much when fired.

Quote Originally Posted by WWIflyingace View Post
    Found an interesting tidbit; a Bristol scout that could fire vertically with a wing mounted Lewis. Definitely not a foster mount. Apparently a spring held it down unless one wanted to reload; then he could reach up and pull it down. I believe the aircraft was flown by Charles Gordon Bell since the picture appears with text about him and the photo is from late 1915.

Another interesting tidbit was apparently some of the scouts had a wing mounted Lewis on a swivel so they could shoot it different directions. This was later discarded as the gun wobbled too much when fired.
    Very interesting info Chuck.
    I don't suppose you could post any pictures?
    Rob.

Bell was the highest scoring Bristol Scout pilot with 5 kills between Sep & Nov 1915 when ill health forced him back to Blighty, The two 10 sqn aircraft he used to gain these victories are numbered 4688 & 4675. He was OC central Flying School at Upavon & it's said he helped train McCudden. Bell was invalided out of the Army in 1917, joined Vickers as a test pilot and was KIFA in France Jul18.

Very interesting info Chuck.
    I don't suppose you could post any pictures?
    Rob.
    Wish I could, but there is a big copyright warning stating any reproduction is strictly forbidden.

Sorry...

Wish I could, but there is a big copyright warning stating any reproduction is strictly forbidden.

Sorry...
    No probs Chuck.
    It's not your fault.
    I have just come across a funny thing in Jaynes' mentioning a Bristol Scout with Top wing double Lewis firing.
    Rob.

Yes, I know the plane. I based one of my shapeways models on it and used it in the campaign for a while, but I removed one of the guns because too many people seemed to have a problem with it. I used it as a 'B' gun; I went with the idea that the pilot used the arrangement so he wouldn't have to re-load so often. I never did figure out the serial number. RNAS planes flew with double gun arrangements much like the Nieuport 17s with one gun on the fuselage firing through the propeller arc without sync gear and one on the wing quite often.

Thanks for the extra info Chuck, as we are trying to get Mrs K. rigged up with aircraft that suit her. She insists on Bristol aircraft being from the city herself. So to fill all the gaps we may have The Bullet, the scout, and the Biff.
    Three aircraft of note.
    Rob.

In my readings the Scout was sometimes called Baby, but I think the plane actually named the Bristol Bullet was a racer built after the Great War ended. I certainly have enjoyed gaming with my Bristol Scouts, hope Mrs. K enjoys whatever Bristol she 'flies.'
    Last edited by WWIflyingace; 09-28-2014 at 07:53. Reason: first reference to 'Bullet' should have been 'Baby.'

Thanks Chuck.
    Rob.

Exclamation The Bristol Bullet Fighter!

In my readings the Scout was sometimes called Bullet, but I think the plane actually named the Bristol Bullet was a racer built after the Great War ended. I certainly have enjoyed gaming with my Bristol Scouts, hope Mrs. K enjoys whatever Bristol she 'flies.'
    Actually the Bristol Mc1 Monoplane fighter was built in 1916 & was nicknamed the "Bullet".
    Because the authorities had a "thing" against monoplanes only 115 were built & they flew mainly in the Middle East & the Balkins.
    In fact it was superior to most of the aircraft in use then on the Western Front.
    Shuttleworth have a replica Bullet flying at their air shows & there is one in a museum in South Australia.
    Pic of the Shuttleworth one attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Bristol Mc1 Bullet.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	145086

Thanks for sharing, she is absolutely georgous!!

Irea

Good morning, Wingman.
    That's a great photo. Thanks for finding it for me.
    Kyte is kindly going to paint me up a plane but it will have a 'Bristol Red' nose.
    Eileen

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Actually the Bristol Mc1 Monoplane fighter was built in 1916 & was nicknamed the "Bullet".
    Because the authorities had a "thing" against monoplanes only 115 were built & they flew mainly in the Middle East & the Balkins.
    In fact it was superior to most of the aircraft in use then on the Western Front.
    Shuttleworth have a replica Bullet flying at their air shows & there is one in a museum in South Australia.
    Pic of the Shuttleworth one attached.
    Ah, a monoplane. I've never been into monoplanes; they just don't intrigue me like the biplanes do. But it is a very nice photo and I at least know what the wwI bullet really is...

Oh, and I am partial to the red nose myself...

Very nice. Too bad it was not on the Western front. I'll have to get one or two of these anyway.

Ah, a monoplane. I've never been into monoplanes; they just don't intrigue me like the biplanes do. But it is a very nice photo and I at least know what the wwI bullet really is...

Oh, and I am partial to the red nose myself...
    Maybe it is time you bite the Bullet and get one then Chuck.
    Rob.

Very nice. Too bad it was not on the Western front. I'll have to get one or two of these anyway.
    Are you going to be the one to tell Mrs. K. that she can't fly it on the Western Front then Pete!

Rob.

Are you going to be the one to tell Mrs. K. that she can't fly it on the Western Front then Pete!

Rob.
    I don't think so. I'll let gully_raker do that. I'm sure one or two snuck over to France. There always seems to ba an exception to any rule.

Exclamation

Rob.
    I am pretty sure there were at least a few in France so Eileen will be good to go.
    Check out the Wiki article on the Bullet, it is rather extensive & should give all the details you need!

Make sure you get the right link: one refers to the racing biplane of 1920 (Bristol Type 32 Bullet) I'm familiar with and the other the monoplane (Bristol M.1) refereed to by gully of wwI.

Lightbulb

I went back & checked out the Wiki article & it does not appear any actually fought with a squadron in France but there were some used in training squadrons in the UK as well as those in the Middle East etc.

Maybe Eileen can say she was allocated one to evaluate in combat in France.

After all it is a Game chaps!

I always get that one mixed up with the Morane Saulnier N which the RFC designated the Bullet too.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks for all the input chaps.
    it seems that all I need to do now is get the aircraft and paint it up.
    Rob.

I've been thinking of suspending hostilities in December, ie not having a scenario that month and moving them all back a month. This is to primarily allow the 'Box Heads' time to catch up with the Entente as they are currently lagging way behind ! Is this a good idea ? Let me know your thoughts please.

Sounds like a plan Dave - that would enable some catch-up (or, for those of us up-to-date, a Christmas Truce )

I am almost done with my Zep. Should have it done this coming week and play the scenario same or the next. Current scenario I probably should put off till after the Zep so I have the same sequence as everyone else. Those without Zeppelins might not play September's scenario either way.

Sorry for dragging but my trip two week to the UK has grounded my solo flights. At least I got to fly at Doncaster! Whatever you decide I'm good with. I'll be back on track next week though.

Good idea Dave. I am guilty of not being upto date but time has just slipped by since June , is it because we re getting older that the yyyyears seem shorter ?

Good idea Dave. I am guilty of not keping up to speed with the AARs but time has just flown by since July. Are the years getting shorter as we get older?

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    Good idea Dave. I am guilty of not keping up to speed with the AARs but time has just flown by since July. Are the years getting shorter as we get older?
    No Paul, we are just taking more and more onto our shoulders.
    I am quite happy to take some of that strain off the rest of our merry band by having a short leave at Christmas. Get some quality time with your families. We are in this for enjoyment, not to stress out about deadlines. I gave that up eight years ago when I retired.
    A very good suggestion Squadron Leader.
    Rob.

Cracking idea Dave. New job is taking its toll as with only me there they want me to work just about full time.

Hoping to get 5+6 done by the end of this month though.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I've been thinking of suspending hostilities in December, ie not having a scenario that month and moving them all back a month. This is to primarily allow the 'Box Heads' time to catch up with the Entente as they are currently lagging way behind ! Is this a good idea ? Let me know your thoughts please.
    That would suit me fine Dave as I will be doing my annual Christmas visit to daughter Jenny's in Queensland from mid December.

Hope to be able to catch up with Carl_Brisgamer & perhaps Doug as well.

Sounds like the majority approve so I will move the schedule back, Baz has the last of this year in November for Jul16; Neil will open the new year with Aug16.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Death From Above Campaign: An Air and Ground Campaign
    By rkwright in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2014, 09:53
  2. early aviation
    By itchy in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2014, 02:10
  3. Christmas comes early.