Ares Games

Thread: AAR - Solo Mission - Into the Mud

Default AAR - Solo Mission - Into the Mud

Hello all – Here is my first AAR for a solo game I played this afternoon. Was a real nail-biter. Enjoy:

The Senario was “Into the Mud” from the Burning Drachens Rulebook, using the 2 player variant. I played the German Player and used the AI rules for the allies player. I proxied the models I had but used the stats per the scenario: German – Pfalz D.IIIa; Allies – Nieuport 17

His orders were to locate the enemy trenches and soften them up for the ground troops. Skies are clear and enemy flights in the area are supposed to minimal. Should be a straightforward mission, except he'll have to watch out for those AA batteries behind the lines.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	185.5 KB 
ID:	122578

As he entered enemy airspace he swung to the right with his idea to make a sweeping run from right to left.

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg 
Size:	198.9 KB 
ID:	122579

Approaching the trench line he turned left and drew the fire of the AA battery. Luckily the AA shot was wide of the mark – but the pilot was a bit unnerved.

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	189.9 KB 
ID:	122580

He caught a glint of light to his right and looking that way caught a glimpse of an enemy Nieuport approaching from his two o'clock. He decided to focus on his mission, just do his damage and bag out of there as quickly as he can.

Swinging along the trench line he drew some ground fire – jamming his rudder to the right. He strafed the first trench to no effect but after straightening out was able to get two more shots at the first trench – causing 2 points of damage. He took more fire from the first trench – which caught his fuel tank starting a fire – those guys are either really good marksmen or really lucky. He was out of the arc of the MG but did take some ground fire from the middle trench. He took a shot to the arm (pilot wounded) and knew he would have have a tough time with any tricky maneuvers. The Nieuport was approaching from his six but he was still out of range of his guns. He executed a stall maneuver in an attempt to get some more strafing shots and managed to silence the AA MG with 5 damage, but not before taking 3 damage from the MG at close range. This time, the trench soldiers must have had their head downs and did no damage.

So at the end of turn 3, he was wounded, his rudder was jammed and his plane was on fire but he had taken out the AA MG and done some damage to one of the trenches (7 points).

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Size:	150.5 KB 
ID:	122581

The fire didn't seem to be too bad (0 damage this turn). He continued along the line of trenches and got one more close range shot at the trenches causing 4 damage to the far trench. The two trenches fired on him but to no effect. He did a stall and then banked left away from the trenches to avoid the AA battery behind the trenches to their right flank. As he banked away the trench fighters got another lucky shot and jammed his rudder again – to the left this time. The Nieuport was gaining on him but still out of range.

So at the end of turn 4 he had 3 damage and had scored 11 points.

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	122582

The fire flared up a bit (2 damage) – he was hoping it would burn itself out soon. The right trench took another pock shot that missed before he pulled an immelman – knowing he wouldn't be able to pull that off and shoot with his wounds, but knew he wouldn't have a target anyway. The Nieuport opened fire on him causing 3 damage. As he headed back towards the trenches he silenced the right trench (1 damage). They returned fire but to no effect. The Nieuuport flew past and couldn't get another shot off.

End of turn 5 – 8 damage, 12 points

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	122583

The fire finally burned itself out without causing any more damage. He banked right and fired to full effect on the far trench silencing it(3 damage)! He got some return fire from that trench but to no effect. With all three ground targets taken out – time to head for home!!

End of turn 6 – 8 damage, 15 points

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	122584

The Nieuport turned to pursue knowing he was trying to bug out. He got a shot off that missed but then closed to close range getting two shots off heavily damaging the Pfalz (7 points). He knew now that he was in trouble (only one more point of damage left).

End of turn 7 – 15 Damage, 15 points

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg 
Size:	176.0 KB 
ID:	122585

It was now a race to get to friendly territory for the wounded German pilot. Just as he was about to leave the territory the Nieuport got into a kill position on his five o'clock, opened fire and the Pfalz spiraled to the ground in a ball of flame.

Name:	IMG_0148.jpg 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	122586
    End of game – German plane destroyed (minus 12 points) but 15 points of damage to the ground targets = +3 points. German player wins ! (although the poor pilot probably wouldn't agree).

Solid first entry... nicely done! First time, however, that I've seen a D.VII proxy for a Pfalz!

Thanks Christopher! I picked it because the design on the wings was a similar pattern, but I know what you mean!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland19 View Post
    Thanks Christopher! I picked it because the design on the wings was a similar pattern, but I know what you mean!
    Trade in my Pfalz d.III for a Fokker D.VII?! Yes, sir! Of course, sir! Right away, sir! You know what's best, sir!

I just realized I posted this in the wrong thread - should be in the WWI thread. Sorry I am such a Nube a this!! Can someone tell me how I can move this to a different thread?

thanks!

Excellent first try, Joe.
    Send a PM to Flash, or 7eat51 or Oberst Hajj and one of them will move this thread to the right place. But don't worry. You're in the right place.

Nice AAR Joe. I enjoyed reading it.

Very nice first AAR Joe, shame about your aircraft, hope he survives but mission accomplished, well done. Great photos, looking forward to more.

Good job on the AAR Joe - see you got it back where it should be !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks Everyone. I still can't believe he was only card away from escaping off the map! And thanks to Eric for moving this to the correct location!

May I add my compliments to the others Joe. That was a very well composed AAR. The photographs were clear and enhanced the story line.
    All in all a first rate effort.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nice AAR. Keep 'em coming.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Well done Joe!
    Excellent job for a first AAR.
    Even though your pilot gave his life(?) for the Fatherland he completed his mission.
    His parents will be sad but proud.
    However he may just have survived.
    You could roll a Dice using the "Over the Trenches" Rules or ask Sven to roll for you.

Thanks for sharing this AAR! The great thing about solo games is, that they tend to be really nerve-stretching more frequently than thought .

Just saw this and very good report and pictures of your solo run.

Similar Missions

1. Solo-Mission Kampagnen
    By Marechallannes in forum German Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2013, 01:18
  2. Solo Mission 1: Interception
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2013, 10:37
  3. N. England & Scotland Solo Mission 3:Le Rebond
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 14:19
  4. Solo Mission 4: Luftaufklärungsauftrag (Air reconnaissance Mission).
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 05:12
  5. First Solo Mission Duel
    By bliss_infinite in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-04-2012, 11:56