Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 8: Dangerous Dance

Default Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 8: Dangerous Dance

December 28, 1915

Night is falling. I'm tired of guarding my plane. It's cold and I'm shaking for hours. Finally the truck arrives. Thorsten, Tobias and Sven jump from it. Thorsten grab my arm with friendship and a big smile in his face. "When the soldier you sent arrived at the 'drome and told us you were here and well we almost kissed him." I laughed loudly filled with pride for having such good comrades. "Help me load the remains of the plane and let's get to the mess. I'm starving."

We were on patrol. The air was so cold that it almost was solid against my nose and cheeks. My first flight after being freed from bed. Rita had left the 'drome to visit her parents and spend the Christmas with them. We stayed. The High Command was afraid that the French would try a surprise attack during Christmas. They didn't.

We saw them from afar. Six in two by two formation. I decided to invite them for a dance. A dangerous one since we were half their number. But we had better planes and superior training. Or so I thought.

I've turned hard left, trying to take them from their side and escaping their initial fire. My men followed me. Throsten just behind me and Sven following him closely. It was Sven's first fly with me, but Thorsten told me he was reliable.

We faced the two Saulniers on the left.

They fired both at me making some damage in my Eindecker.

I fired back and I saw Thorsten bullets targeting the same French plane I was firing against. He damaged it. I didn't.

Then we turned hard right, trying to escape their fire and put them in our cross-hairs.

Thorsten was at the receiving end of the fire of three French planes. But the damage was negligible...

Then we fired back. The three of us concentrating our fire in one of the French planes. I could see it shaking with the punching of the bullets.

We saw it went down. But as nobody found the wreak of this Saulnier we weren't given this kill. Ah well, we would have to decide to whom it would be assigned so it wasn't so bad...

Then we lost ourselves in the confusion of planes crossing each other's paths. For some moments after the first Saulnier went down I thought that this would be easy.

Two Saulniers fired again against Sven making little damage.

Sven fired back, cool under fire. That was a good trait for a fighter pilot.

Then we were behind the Frenchmen and we split directions. I made a reverse, changing my direction and putting myself in danger for a moment.

Thorsten fired against one of the Saulniers and a line of smoke erupted from the French plane.

We had put ourselves into a better position than the Frenchmen and we were in control of the combat. Or so I thought.

I've fired a short volley, but failed to make significant damage and my weapons jammed...

I tried to maneuver to an open space while I tried to unjam my machineguns.

Then the smoking Saulnier fired against my engine, but I seemed to be very lucky because I saw no damage being made to the plane's engine.

At the same time, Thorsten fired a perfect volley that downed the French squad leader immediately.

The French plane went spiraling down...

Then things start getting worse since I not only had the weapons jammed as a trail of smoke start sprouting from my engine.

We had reduced the difference in numbers but damage was starting to weight heavily on my plane.

I felt more bullet eating away fabric from my plane as I was being once again targeted by another Saulnier.

Then to make things worse, Sven jammed his machine-gun.

I finally managed to unjam my guns.

Just to be shot at again by a different Saulnier. They seem to be taking turns to shoot at me.

And then Thorsten managed to jam his weapon. Things were getting ugly.

My plane was filled with holes and I was trying to approach my men to signal them the retreat.

And in doing that I took some more damage. I was reaching the limit of damage that my plane could absorb.

But I fired back hitting the Saulnier squarely with a solid punch.

I was time to start leaving the grounds still in one piece...

My men understood my signs. They were aware of the state my plane was.

Sven fired a perfect burst that must have wounded one of the French pilots.

One of the Frenchmen seemed to be trying to leave also. That was good in the present circumstances.

One of them faced me. They were aware of the state my plane was and were trying to take me down at any cost.

The wounded French pilot was still able to fire at Thorsten.

The other one fired at me and hit me but my plane was still willing to fly.

Thorsten fired back, but only managed to jam his weapon.

I've done some damage to my assailant, but not enough to put him down.

We tried to move away. The three of us.

But the wounded French pilot was out for revenge... He fired at me. And that was more than my plane could stand... I start to lose height quickly...

I went down looking for a free strip of land to crash land my dying bird...

My men kept trying to escape.

And I saw them pulling away while I broke almost all the rest of my plane in a frozen field. The French had won the battle... they circled above me for some minutes. I hid for a while and then went looking for help.
    Last edited by Blackronin; 03-24-2016 at 03:59. Reason: Tiding it up.

These adventures still make good reading, even the second time around Joaquim.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    These adventures still make good reading, even the second time around Joaquim.
    Rob.
    You're most kind, dear Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 5: Synchronized
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-24-2016, 02:35
  2. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 4: Young Hawks
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2016, 01:41
  3. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 3: Hide & Seek