Ares Games

Thread: 1,2,or3 cards.

Default 1,2,or3 cards.

I know this has been around the block a few times but this is a slightly different use of the cards for campaigns or one offs. Classify each pilot as novice, experienced, or ace. A novice plots 3 card, experienced (at least one kill), plots 2 cards and the ace (5 kill) pots only one card. Whadda ya think?

Like the idea of aces having an advantage, but I think it might slow down the game a bit having someone taking time out every card.

How about a tailing advantage / disadvantage - as in novices cannot tail, experienced tail as per existing rules, aces can change second and third cards whilst tailing? That would limit the number of times the game turn would be slowed down, but give aces a much enhanced chance of tailing successfully over multiple cards.

I think you could have some mileage in that idea Brian. It would certainly give the Ace an edge in those close up and personal bits of the action. I have also been toying with adding another attribute to Aces. That of stealth attack. A better than average chance of catching his opponent napping if attacking from the rear quadrant.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I think you could have some mileage in that idea Brian. It would certainly give the Ace an edge in those close up and personal bits of the action. I have also been toying with adding another attribute to Aces. That of stealth attack. A better than average chance of catching his opponent napping if attacking from the rear quadrant.
    Rob.
    The stealth attack idea also seems like a good one. Maybe both as additional "Ace" skills, rather than a generic Ace rule?

Our group certainly thinks tailing is almost useless because you rarely (in game terms) get the chance, and when you do the ability to swap cards rather than the idea of replacing rarely enables a tail of more than one card duration. I seem to recall a few accounts (historical and fictional-with-real-experience - like WE Johns) of "aces" doggedly staying on the tail of lesser pilots - so I think boosting their ability to do so makes sense.

Allowing an ace to change all cards whilst tailing over multiple turns would, I think, be too much of an advantage - so how about:

Ace Skill - Good At Tailing: During a turn where the Ace is tailing an opponent he may change any number of his three planned manoeuvre cards (within the limits of the rules i.e. still no illegal moves) in order to continue to tail. To change a card, the ace must still be in a position to tail. At the end of the turn take three recovery tokens

That would seem to fit in (roughly) with existing Ace skills, and would limit the ability's impact on consecutive turns of tailing
    Last edited by Archidamus; 02-08-2014 at 13:53.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 74
    Last Post: 03-09-2018, 15:51
  2. ACE CARDS.
    By phililphall in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 23:37
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 11:08
  4. other cards?
    By radzak in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3