Ares Games

Thread: Torpdeo rule update

Default Torpdeo rule update

A few questions about the torpedo rules has prompted me to put a quick reference sheet in the house rules section (awaiting moderation) that hopefully clears up the grey areas.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Can't wait to read them. I surely would have use to it in the channel battles

Quote Originally Posted by calm View Post
    Can't wait to read them. I surely would have use to it in the channel battles
    Be careful with your dates; the Germans got functional torpedo bombers late in the game. Post BoB for sure.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Be careful with your dates; the Germans got functional torpedo bombers late in the game. Post BoB for sure.
    Karl
    Indeed Karl. But them I will use bombs for those battles

File is up in the file section. Bombing is no different from the official rules but I have posted a see through bomb card for more accuracy when using the ship target cards.

Will get them right now, thanks

Thanks, Neil.
    Hopefully, I'll have a chance (and space) to try this out soon.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Got a quick couple of questions ...
    If a torpedo's center dot overlaps a ship's near-miss or hit zone, but the torpedo doesn't detonate (either because the wrong-colored dot was up, or it was a contact torpedo at less than 30 degrees) what happens next? I'm assuming that if the angle was less than 30 degrees for a contact torpedo, it harmlessly deflects off the side of the target ship and is removed from play. But what if an Axis magnetic torpedo directly overlaps a ship's hit zone when the torpedo's black dot is up? Does the torpedo pass under the ship, or is it a dud and is removed from play?

And since I'm asking questions, I've got one on the bombing rules ...
    In your air-to-ship rules you posted in the files section, you have a table which indicates the "Direct Hit Bomb Damage Card Penalties and Bonus", as follows:
    Height 8+ ... No special damage ..... -3 bomb cards
    Height 7 ..... No special damage ..... -2 bomb cards
    Height 6 ..... No special damage ..... -1 bomb card
    Height 5 ..... Normal damage
    Height 4 ..... Draw 1 Special damage card (SDC)/bomb dropped.
    Height 3 ..... Draw SDC+1 bonus SDC/load, discard 1 SDC/load then apply retained SDC damage.
    Height 2 ..... Draw SDC+2 bonus SDC/load, discard 2 SDC/load then apply retained SDC damage

But in some of your more-recently posted ships, you indicate a different damage system. For example, on the Ark Royal damage sheet, you state: "For each bomb or torpedo hit draw a D damage chit. If the chit shows any special damage then draw a special damage card. Do not reduce this damage for armour."

Which is the correct way to determine bombing damage? I have to admit I prefer using the table you have in your posted rules book because the height at which the bombs were dropped affects the amount of damage, encouraging players to dive in close to the ship even it it puts them more at risk of getting shot.

Thanks!

-- Eris

Apologies I'm amending the bombing rules and the d damage chit addition will be an optional rule only used if aircraft are not using height, ie during solo play or simplified participation game at shows..

The better choce close in was not for more damage but to simulate hitting what you're aiming at better. Hence drawing more cards and picking the best one.

Thanks for reading these and putting up the questions. Have you play tested them yet?

FYI, I did a bit of play testing and posted my thoughts in your original thread about the air-to-ship rules, here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...757#post272757

Similar Missions

1. Do you use the Aim optional rule?
    By Ginarley in forum Polls
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-02-2018, 14:30
  2. Does "Overlapping Airplanes" rule cancels" Line of Sight" rule?
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 16:01
  3. Update
    By Volant Gun in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 05:36
  4. +1 Rule
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 08:00
  5. Most Current Rule set?