Ares Games

Thread: Flight of the Giants in my hands at last!

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Default Flight of the Giants in my hands at last!

Flight of the Giants game review.

I have just received my mail order Flight of the Giants expansion set today. I ordered it from www.worldatplaygames.com. These are very friendly and helpful people to deal with. The cost was US $26.35 and shipping was $4.95.

With the snap rip and crinkle of removing the cellophane I am greeted with the unique smell of new game! I notice the sticker on the front identifying this as an English version, an apt reminder of how international this project is. That is just awesome to think about.

My first impression, beyond a very becoming outer artwork, is that the same fouex canvas finish in a high quality box that I have come to expect from Nexus heightens my expectations. The box is the same size as the others and looks quite becoming on my bookshelf.

Now for the real meat of the matter.

Upon opening the lid, I am presented with the rulebook, six aircraft organization cards of the same size and type as DOW. There is a sheet of damage counters which includes a variation of casualty markers, two packs of movement cards and four sheets of bomber aircraft cards.
    The rule book is well laid out with clear instructions and beautifully presented graphics. There are several scenarios to try. It should be remembered that this is an expansion set only. No basic rules are provided as this is not a stand alone game. With all the information provided, Nexus would not have had any room to fit it. This is obviously well researched and well thought out to continue in the theme of a fast fun game system. To steal a phrase, it is full of gaming goodness!

Regarding the damage counter sheet, it is obvious that this genre of the game is focused on aircraft resource management, the crew being the primary concern. With each aircraft having around 30 or more damage points, they have some staying power. The likelihood of special damage or crew loss issues becomes more prevalent. These rather than point loss are probably going to have decisive results. As such I notice some special crew damage counters. I will have to play the game before fully understanding their function.

In FOTG, the movement cards are special and range from “XA” to XD” and have 13 movement cards in each. The card packs included are two “XA”, one “XB”, one “XC” and two “XD” sets. I have noticed the actual movement distance on these cards is comparatively small. This is because the 'Footprint' of the bombers is a lot larger and evens out. More on that in a minute. Also included is a pack of “B” damage cards, a set of 44. Plus there is a set of 12 bombing card markers. Lastly, there are 6 target marker cards.

This brings me to the aircraft cards. I was surprised by these. They come on four sheets of heavy paper, with both sides printed with aircraft. Each side has a large and a small bomber. That is two large and two small per sheet. At four per sheet, there are a total of 16 individual and different aircraft represented. There are 7 aircraft types of various paint schemes as follows.
    Felixstowe F2A, two
    Handley Page 0/400, two
    Coproni CA4, two
    Zeppelin Staaken RVI, two
    The above being the larger bombers.
    Friedrichshafen G111, three
    Caproni CA3, three
    Gotha G V, two
    The size of the large bomber cards are 82mm long and 110mm wide. (3 3/16"x 4 5/16")
    The smaller bombers are 67mm long by 82mm wide. (2 10/16"x 3 6/16")
    If I had any reservations about any aspect of the game it would be this. While I like the design and the efficiency of the aircraft cards, I believe them to be a little flimsy and subject to damage with play. Personally I may create a laminated set for my own use but I am probably one of few who have the resources to do so. Maybe laminating the actual cards would be an answer. Regardless, I am very pleased with the variety and attention to detail provided. I look forward to flying them.
    Another nuance with this system is that for each aircraft, there is an organization card, tracking crew movement and availability. Is that machine gun manned or not? Is it jammed? That can be quite a job to track and this is a very nice tool.

I hope this information is helpful. One thing is for certain, the aircraft minis will be higher priced, so I for one am building the Coffers to purchase a set as soon as they are available.

I just posted a related thread regarding the minis for this game. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1852

I hope it helps.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Snowy; 08-05-2010 at 13:47. Reason: Update

Thanks for the info, a well written report. I too am looking forward to the Gotha and Caproni miniatures. For your next assignment we want you to investagate why cats and penguins are mentioned so frequently on this site.

Thank you for that comprehensive report, Snowy.

If the sets have reached the U.S.A., why haven't they reached the U.K. yet? It is nearer to Italy.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

David, if it makes any difference, I have not seen any other providers advertise this yet. I think this company may import directly. I bet if not now, they will be available shortly in your area.

Nice review, but after the minis I just can't go back.
    How do you mix them without it looking really, really odd.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

Michael,
    I was lucky enough to have salvaged this one a while back from a bunch of scrap metal.
    There are some great looking paper models out there.
    Short of that, take a picture and paste in on card and put it on a stand. It would look a little more normal.
    Good luck!
    Attached Images  

Does anyone play with a mixture of cards and minis. Normally the thought wouldn't cross my mind but with FotG so many new types of missions become possible (relatively cheaply) I wonder how it would work?

p.s. Thank you for the great game review.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for that comprehensive report, Snowy.

If the sets have reached the U.S.A., why haven't they reached the U.K. yet? It is nearer to Italy.
    Just another of the great mysteries of the Nexus. I'm importing stuff from the States. No staying power I'm Afraid.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Can't wait to try out FOTG.
    Must get on and build my Friedrichshafen G111, from Reverisco.
    Was a bit disapointed when it arrived as there was only one crew member, a machine gunner and no pilot, posted an e-mail to Reverisco but they didn't even bother to reply.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Can't wait to try out FOTG.
    Must get on and build my Friedrichshafen G111, from Reverisco.
    Was a bit disapointed when it arrived as there was only one crew member, a machine gunner and no pilot, posted an e-mail to Reverisco but they didn't even bother to reply.
    Don
    I've got a bag full of them. Send me a reminder of your address, and I'll pop one in the post. It's O.K. I found the address in my address book of all places. Look out for the postman with a huge parcel.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 07-23-2010 at 04:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I've got a bag full of them. Send me a reminder of your address, and I'll pop one in the post. It's O.K. I found the address in my address book of all places. Look out for the postman with a huge parcel.
    Rob.
    Rob, that's excellent news your'e a real pal.
    Could I be cheeky and ask for another machine gunner aswell as there are 2 MG positions.
    Don

Could I be cheeky and ask for another machine gunner aswell as there are 2 MG positions.
    Don[/QUOTE]

Single or double guns?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It is my understanding that the U.S. supplies the U.K. for this product, so it ships across the Atlantic, then back again to get to the U.K. But the rest of Europe doesn't have that problem.

Of course I could be wrong about all of that...

Don
    Single or double guns?
    Rob.[/QUOTE]

A single MG would be fine.
    Thanks again.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    It is my understanding that the U.S. supplies the U.K. for this product, so it ships across the Atlantic, then back again to get to the U.K. But the rest of Europe doesn't have that problem.

Of course I could be wrong about all of that...
    Sounds like the logic employed by Nexus to me. I expect when it arrives here it will go via Milton Keynes. most things seem to these days. This is why I cut out the middle man and buy from the States direct. At least that is what I have done with Crossfire Booster. Ordered last night. Received E-mail today to say it had shipped.
    Knocks spots off any other supplier I have ever dealt with excepting Heron Games who can beat that .He actually shipped the same day I ordered on one or two occasions.
    Rob.

Erin, thanks for the review! Nice to see that pretty green Gotha again, too.
    best regards
    Aris K.

Quote Originally Posted by Burt View Post
    Single or double guns?
    Rob.
    Thanks again.
    Don[/QUOTE]

No prob. They are in the post. Should arrive Monday.
    Rob.

Thanks again.
    Don
    No prob. They are in the post. Should arrive Monday.
    Rob.[/QUOTE]

The crew for my bomber arrived safely today.

Thanks v much.

Don

Thanks v much.

Don[/QUOTE]

My pleasure Don.
    Rob.

Thanks for listing the card sizes! Since I use card sleeves I was hoping (but not really expecting) to find sleeves to fit these cards -- doesn't seem like it.

Anyone have any luck with laminating?

Cheers,
    KW

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

James, I am in the process of making a set.
    Go to the office supplies type stores and have them do it for you. It is very reasonably priced.
    The two things to keep in mind, when you have them laminate, use the type that sticks to the paper. That way when you cut them to size, they will not 'Shed' the laminate.
    As well as this, invest in a sturdy exacto or stanley knife. Use a metal ruler and take your time cuting. It is real easy to miss the cut.
    I have used the same technique for making some of the special damage cards. It works great!
    Good luck!

Thanks Erin, I have some printing to do this week, so I'll take your suggestions with me!

Cheers,
    KW

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Flight of Giants
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 218
    Last Post: 09-28-2010, 09:24
  2. Flight of the Giants quality control issues
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2010, 19:44
  3. Flight of the Giants hands on sneak preview