Default Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 2: Hubris

hubris
    noun
    1. excessive pride or self-confidence.
    synonyms: arrogance, conceit, conceitedness, haughtiness,
    pride, vanity, self-importance, self-conceit, pomposity,
    superciliousness, feeling of superiority;

July 29, 1915

I guess that what really hurt me the most was not the fact that my actions or lack of them cost us so many men and helped the enemy during this battle. What hurt me the most was the words of Oberleutnant Schultz, his last words to me, before he left, those last words in front of every pilot in our squadron. "I hope this third kill makes you happy, Leutnant Joachim Lisbon, I hope that this kill balances all the men we lost with this failed mission and you unwillingness to follow my orders." And he left. And all of them one by one left until I stood alone in the briefing room, the crickets outside singing my misfortune. And it all started so quickly and unexpectedly.

We've received a call from the HQ. We were needed at the front. Several British planes were working as spotters for the artillery in a preparatory bombardment that surely was the softening for an Entente assault. The planes were protected by scouts. "Forget the scouts," said Oberleutnant Schultz, as we ran across the field, "I'll take care of them, go for the spotter and take him down as fast as you can", and I nodded as I jumped into my Eindecker. And in a matter of minutes all the squadron scattered in pairs, trying to find the spotters. We were lucky. We found a spotter with his two French scout protectors quickly. And before they saw us we were over them.

They were circling over the objective. We fell upon them, Oberleutnant Schultz pointing at the spotter and I giving him back the okay.

They kept their formation and I was able to see the co-pilot of the BE2c sending mirror signals to the other side of the trenches. Coordinates to pinpoint their fire. We had to be quick on it.

Oberleutnant Schultz fired against one of the Saulniers, trying to put him down quickly but not only his long burst was out of target as he jammed his weapon. Tough luck!

So he cut right trying frantically to unjam his weapon and the BE2c kept its patterned flight over his target. Alone I tried to put myself in the best position.

I wasn't able to foretell the spotter maneuvers so I went for a change of tactics. Oberleutnant Schultz still kept trying to unjam his machine guns. I tried to protect him, but he kept pointing at the BE2c.

In an fluid movement we both turned left and faced one of the Saulniers.

The French fired against Oberleutnant Schultz making minor damage.

And I fired back, making also small damage but harassing him for the lapse of time needed for Oberleutnant Schultz to escape.

And then his weapons were again clear. I went for a immelmann and he pointed his monoplane against the other French scout.

And while my manoeuvre was spot on to get me behind the first scout, Oberleutnant Schultz maneuver was off spot, probably because he kept pointing at the BE2c.

The second scout fired against him, but miraculously missed his plane and by the way the pilot was operating his machine-gun, it was jammed. I, on the other side...

... put some serious damage in the wings and fuselage of the first French scout.

Oberleutnant Schultz was quick about turning around and I thought that I should turn against the BE2c, but I was tailing the Saulnier N and it was so close to break apart that I kept following him.

We both fired and we both connected against the Saulniers. I distinctly saw that I had injured the pilot but I needed a little more time to put him down.

The BE2c dived below me, still on his target. I felt, more than saw Oberleutnant Schultz bullets hitting it and trying to get him out of his mission, while I kept my eyes on my prey.

I let loose a long burst connecting again.

And with a stream of smoke, the Saulnier dived to the ground. My third kill! Then I looked around to give my full attention into my real target that was below me. The BE2c. And then I saw it. The artillery barrage. Hitting perfectly our lines below me. An inferno of fire, smoke and dirt.

And while it sank in me what really happened, the spotter plane went up and parallel with me and hit me with his machine gun at close quarters.

It raked my plane viciously and the hunter became the prey.

Oberleutnant Schultz fired against the spotter plane but to no avail. I looked back and behind his glasses there was a hard gaze that made me shiver inside.

I made a reverse to escape the machine gun and Oberleutnant Schultz kept trailing his target. The remaining Saulnier seemed unwilling to return to the combat.

Oberleutnant Schultz hit the BE2c again, doing more damage, and at this moment, the courageous pilot seemed to quit from his mission to escape into his lines.

Then I got close to Oberleutnant Schultz and I saw his fury. Against me. And I understood. Below us a sea of fire and death and our mission failed.

I made another reverse - I was getting good at it - just to see both enemy planes escaping.

We gave chase - half-heartedly - for a brief moment.

And then he gave sign to retire. I felt sadder and sadder as we were returning. I had let my growing hubris blind me to what was important. The next day, I would read about our losses and I would know that some of them, a fistful or a thousand were on me.

Scenario briefing:

1. Solo rules for the Entente.
    2. Both German planes controlled by me.
    3. The BE2c must make a complete 8 shaped route over the target (six left manoeuvre cards followed by six right manoeuvre cards).
    4. If the BE2c does its 8-shaped manoeuvre and leaves the game table on the Entente side, the Entente wins.
    5. If the BE2c does its 8-shaped manoeuvre and is shot down before it leaves the game table the game is a draw.
    6. If the BE2c is hit during its 8-shaped manoeuvre roll a die. On a 1or 2 it tries to escape, rolling in the solo manoeuvre table the next turn per solo rules. After that it must again start his 8-shaped manoeuvre.
    7. If the player planes shot down the BE2c plane before it makes his mission, the Central Powers win.
    Last edited by Blackronin; 01-15-2022 at 03:24. Reason: Tidying it up.

Glad you put it here Joaquim. It makes a super read old chap.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Wings of War and Glory - Chapter 1: First Blood
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-23-2016, 08:16
  2. WGF & WGS: Mixing Wings of Glory coastal mat with the Sails of Glory mat.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 09:27
  3. Compra de Wings of War e Wings of Glory
    By Nick_ace in forum Brazilian Wing
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 13:44
  4. Svět deskových her - hraní Wings of Glory (Wings of War)
    By Ladinek in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:51
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53