Ares Games
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Salute 2014 - Game On!

Default Salute 2014 - Game On!

I should be getting official confirmation at the end of the week (apparently organisers just waiting for entrance badges to turn up) but we are now on the Salute games list - http://www.salute.co.uk/salute/salute-2014/games/

So, it's stand up and be counted time. Looking through my earlier thread (and PMs) on this, we seem to have F.O. Kyte (Rob), Boney10 (Chris), Skafloc (Neil) and myself as definites, and a handful of 'possibles' for running this shindig. Anyone else want to take one step forward? It would be useful if you could do at least an hour or two which will allow us all time for a quick gallop round the show. Neil is also bringing his WoG UK Wing stand which will set the table off nicely.

The cunning plan: I'm thinking 3 rolling WW1 games throughout the day, an early war game for starters, followed by a marine game - sub hunting with a scout airship and using anything Shapeways/Skytrex/Red Eagle/SRAM makes that has floats - and finishing off with a late war bash - Camels, Snipes, D.VIIs, D.VIIIs (if they are out by then). Any comments/suggestions gratefully received.

Mr Manley Sir, can you give Ares another poke please, see if you can get anything out of them?

Can whoever manages the website, sticky this please?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Stuck sir, and as soon as I can contact JohnBiggles I can let you know for certain about my attendance.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Myself and Ajay who attended Colours with me are hoping to be there Gunners - alot depends on SWMBOs next surgery but early indications are I might get away with it !!

Cheers Rob

Do you still want me to bring the Staaken float plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Cheers Rob
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Do you still want me to bring the Staaken float plane?
    Hell yeah! Have you got a card/stats for it?

Booyah. Zeppelin 1 is on the way.

Hell yeah! Have you got a card/stats for it?

Well, if i finally make it to salute, i'll definately be up for the subhunt. For want of a better term, anything with floats, floats my boat, can i use a catalina or a sunderland...

Don't mention Sunderland Si.
    Rob.

Only if you have a WW1 variant....

Quote Originally Posted by Twisted_terrain View Post
    Well, if i finally make it to salute, i'll definately be up for the subhunt. For want of a better term, anything with floats, floats my boat, can i use a catalina or a sunderland...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Stuck sir, and as soon as I can contact JohnBiggles I can let you know for certain about my attendance.
    Rob.
    I see you sir!
    I shall commence negotiations....where is it by the way?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

I live close and can make it - I can help run stuff with pleasure but only have WWII stuff. Have enough stuff to run a BoB try out game on the side though (have a wing of Hurries one of spits and a couple schwarm of 109s plus bombers - attack on the London docks would seem appropriate
    But happy to help with wwi

Rich

Just once I would love to attend a convention in England. You guys seem to make convention into such a holiday.

I see we not the only WoG table at salute, another group called Shadow a Warriors also doing WGF, be interesting to meet them and maybe get them on the Drome

I agree Chris.
    Nothing like spreading the message at large through satellite groups.
    Rob.

Do you want to put on a WGS too? Or we just sticking with WGF?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I see we not the only WoG table at salute, another group called Shadow a Warriors also doing WGF, be interesting to meet them and maybe get them on the Drome

I should be getting official confirmation at the end of the week (apparently organisers just waiting for entrance badges to turn up) but we are now on the Salute games list - http://www.salute.co.uk/salute/salute-2014/games/

So, it's stand up and be counted time. Looking through my earlier thread (and PMs) on this, we seem to have F.O. Kyte (Rob), Boney10 (Chris), Skafloc (Neil) and myself as definites, and a handful of 'possibles' for running this shindig. Anyone else want to take one step forward? It would be useful if you could do at least an hour or two which will allow us all time for a quick gallop round the show. Neil is also bringing his WoG UK Wing stand which will set the table off nicely.
    The cunning plan: I'm thinking 3 rolling WW1 games throughout the day, an early war game for starters, followed by a marine game - sub hunting with a scout airship and using anything Shapeways/Skytrex/Red Eagle/SRAM makes that has floats - and finishing off with a late war bash - Camels, Snipes, D.VIIs, D.VIIIs (if they are out by then). Any comments/suggestions gratefully received.

Mr Manley Sir, can you give Ares another poke please, see if you can get anything out of them?

Hi Steve,
    I shall come, Wing Commander in tow,
    I am collecting quite a bit of Early (1914-15) stuff, mostly British, do you want me to bring it along for the early game?

JB

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Hi Steve,
    I shall come, Wing Commander in tow,
    I am collecting quite a bit of Early (1914-15) stuff, mostly British, do you want me to bring it along for the early game?

JB
    I think we will probably have enough early stuff. I shall however be tapping Rob or Chris to see if they have anything exotic.

Do you want to put on a WGS too? Or we just sticking with WGF?

Neil
    What's with this WW2 stuff? Not a very gentlemanly form of combat, all rush, rush I'm happy to drop the late WW1 game in favour of a WGS so long as someone wants to run it and bring the kit (translation: I haven't got much painted up)

Ill have 2 Moraine BB's 2 seaters for Brits as we'll as an early Aviatic C1 for the Germans

It was just with two tables doing WW1, we might get some more interest with a WW2 game. Happy to run it and bring the stuff but I'm happy either way WGF total or WGF and add 1 game WGS.

Neil

I think we will probably have enough early stuff. I shall however be tapping Rob or Chris to see if they have anything exotic.

What's with this WW2 stuff? Not a very gentlemanly form of combat, all rush, rush I'm happy to drop the late WW1 game in favour of a WGS so long as someone wants to run it and bring the kit (translation: I haven't got much painted up)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

I have BoB WGS stuff and happy to run participation games with it, or just help anyway.

Rich J

Somebody has obviously been loose with their talk in the Mess again Chris, and it wasn't me.

Name:  Waitresses.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  51.4 KB

Kyte.

Rich can you bring your stuff on the off chance and I'll help you run the game. (lot of stuff to bring on train but don't mind it would be Pacific stuff).

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
    I have BoB WGS stuff and happy to run participation games with it, or just help anyway.

Rich J

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

Can do.

Now that John Biggles has organized my transport for me, is there anything special that you would like me to supply on the day?
    Rob.

Oooh the magic word - someone mentioned Sunderland's....

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Oooh the magic word - someone mentioned Sunderland's....
    No they didn't Chris. I assure you Sunderland was never mentioned. Step away from the computer please everyone.There is nothing to see here.
    Someone put a blindfold on Neil, erase these posts, or change the name to Newcastle and everything will be O.K.
    Rob.

It was just with two tables doing WW1, we might get some more interest with a WW2 game. Happy to run it and bring the stuff but I'm happy either way WGF total or WGF and add 1 game WGS.

Neil
    The other table hasn't got the spiffy Wings of Glory banner we will have though, but as I said we can do a WW2 in the afto.

Somebody has obviously been loose with their talk in the Mess again Chris, and it wasn't me.

Kyte.
    Sadly, age hasn't been kind to them, the banner will be a lot smarter (and less wrinkled).

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

An idea for the WWII game would be to get an aerial shot of the East End and print on on vinyl (something I keep meaning to do anyway) and have a 'you are here sticker on it' - the game can take place above us.
    Should get some interest at least. I'm presuming the games are participation games. We could just have a rolling game and feed players in as they want to play and they leave when they get shot down or leave the table. We can bring bombers on in a rolling manner. Punters play the fighter cover and the RAF

Just a thought.

That's great Rick all good games follow the KISS principle.

Neil

An idea for the WWII game would be to get an aerial shot of the East End and print on on vinyl (something I keep meaning to do anyway) and have a 'you are here sticker on it' - the game can take place above us.
    Should get some interest at least. I'm presuming the games are participation games. We could just have a rolling game and feed players in as they want to play and they leave when they get shot down or leave the table. We can bring bombers on in a rolling manner. Punters play the fighter cover and the RAF

Just a thought.

If Rob brings his banner we'll have two squiffy banners!

Neil

The other table hasn't got the spiffy Wings of Glory banner we will have though, but as I said we can do a WW2 in the afto.

Sadly, age hasn't been kind to them, the banner will be a lot smarter (and less wrinkled).

canon_loco

Hello guys, I write from Italy, poked in the English wing, at the fair of S I will be there, "stand MALOMA," I speak little English, but if I come to greet me only pleasure, our little stand is the Napoleonic Alan ... (canon crazy)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

Got a 40's picture of London Docklands ready to be printed on a 4x3 mat
    Name:  docks use 1.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  249.0 KB

Let the fun begin... I can do cards for the participation punters to use, pilots etc, odd one with ace skills maybe so they get a card at random when they join in the fun. My idea would be to have the game as ongoing so people join in and go when shot down. We could try and get a prize (or make a certificate to look like a log) for the player with most kills during the afternoon.
    Name:  Fiske-Logbook--26-July-7-August-1940LG.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  83.7 KB

Kyte.
    I Have a flying helmet. whisk and wet celery, if you can arrange the waitresses

Got a 40's picture of London Docklands ready to be printed on a 4x3 mat
    Name:  docks use 1.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  249.0 KB

Let the fun begin... I can do cards for the participation punters to use, pilots etc, odd one with ace skills maybe so they get a card at random when they join in the fun. My idea would be to have the game as ongoing so people join in and go when shot down. We could try and get a prize (or make a certificate to look like a log) for the player with most kills during the afternoon.
    Name:  Fiske-Logbook--26-July-7-August-1940LG.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  83.7 KB
    I think for a mat like that, I might just find the cash to start WGS! Awesome!!

RichJ.
    That sounds and looks awesome, ooh I love toy planes. (I mean historical renactment via miniature representation.)

Well done Rich, looks like you've volunteeerd to organise WW2 for us

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

Well done Rich, looks like you've volunteeerd to organise WW2 for us
    Kinda looks that way

Kinda looks that way
    Well done that man.
    Kyte.

Default Good news, bad news I suppose

The good news is that the confirmation of our table at Salute has finally arrived along with entrance badges. The bad news is - there are only 4 badges. I've asked someone I know who is a member of the South London Warlords to see if he can scrounge a few more, but I am not at all hopeful.

Here is what I suggest: we count up those of you who are willing to put in a fair amount of the day at the table (with breaks of course), buy enough badges to meet the demand less the 4 we have, then split the cost of the badges between all of us. Advance badges are a tenner each. Therefore if we get 4 more badges it will be a fiver each.

Who is up for this?

I'll man the table all day...if you will fly me over (and back)!

Count me in, seems a fair way to go. Don't mind divying up the cost.

If I make it to salute this year, I have no problem giving a hand, however I don't want to leave anyone in the lurch, and would prefer to play by ear.
    P.S. Am trying to resist placing order with redeagle, can I wait til April or even tomorrow, you lot and ure damned sub hunt!

Well I'm driving the legendary WingCo Kyte down from the midlands, and I don't play anything but WoW, so apart from lunch and tea/coffee I'll be there all day.
    That said, a fiver aint insurmountable

I am with John Literally. I would pay a fiver to get in anyway.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 02-13-2014 at 12:16.

Sound good to me

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

If the WWII is a goer then I'll be in it.

If the WWII is a goer then I'll be in it.
    See post #35 & 37 my friend - you are organising WW2!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Rich
    Sorties Flown

See post #35 & 37 my friend - you are organising WW2!
    Just making sure it was going ahead though as there still seemed a bit of debate

The good news is that the confirmation of our table at Salute has finally arrived along with entrance badges. The bad news is - there are only 4 badges. I've asked someone I know who is a member of the South London Warlords to see if he can scrounge a few more, but I am not at all hopeful.

Here is what I suggest: we count up those of you who are willing to put in a fair amount of the day at the table (with breaks of course), buy enough badges to meet the demand less the 4 we have, then split the cost of the badges between all of us. Advance badges are a tenner each. Therefore if we get 4 more badges it will be a fiver each. Who is up for this?
    Me and Ajay are Salute virgins (oo-er) so our commitment will likely be less than usual as we will want to take it all in & wander about. Deal us out for the head count as far as the tickets go - we will of course come and blow someone out the sky at some point & say hello to all - and I will have a package to hand over to Neil

Mickowenuk's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Mick
    Sorties Flown

I shall be attending, and look forward to a few games and meeting you all.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Salute 2014 - stand up and be counted
    By Guntruck in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-26-2013, 09:57
  2. Anyone going to Salute tomorrow?
    By Guntruck in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 15:00
  3. Salute to Thomatchef!
    By Nightbomber in forum Officer's Club