Ares Games

Thread: Siege of Malta: 1940 Redux and 1942

Default Siege of Malta: 1940 Redux and 1942

This year's Marscon Wings of Glory game was a success. I had six players in the first scenario plus me running AA fire and three players including myself in the smaller, second scenario. I reprised models and ground terrain from last year's Siege of Malta scenario I ran.

The first scenario represented 1940, from where the legend of “Faith”, “Hope”, and “Charity” arose as the lone defenders of Malta.

The defenders set up their planes: two Gloster Gladiators and one Hawker Hurricane recently brought to reinforce the island.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0804.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	120961

The Italians set up their attack: one SM.79 Spaviero bomber, one Macchi C.200 fighter, and one CR.42 biplane that my friend Dwight had recently purchased.

Name:	IMG_0805.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	120962

The SM.79 cleverly turns to avoid the bracketed AA fire put up my the Maltese gunners. It might be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire, however, as the SM.79's flight path goes toward the defending Gladiators.

Name:	IMG_0807.jpg 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	120963

The bomber and fighter exchange fire to little result.

Name:	IMG_0808.jpg 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	120964

The CR.42 and Gladiator square off. The Hurricane...just sort of wanders off.

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	120965

The SM.79 gets trapped by AA fire concentration (and was hit by one on the next turn)

Name:	IMG_0811.jpg 
Size:	202.5 KB 
ID:	120966

The majority of the fighters get into a furball that results in the CR.42 being shot down by a combination of fire from a Gladiator and the Hurricane. Somehow (I can't tell by the positioning of the planes in this photograph), the Hurricane also took an engine hit that limited his movement.

Name:	IMG_0814.jpg 
Size:	199.8 KB 
ID:	120967

The SM.79 shoots down a Gladiator, but get distracted in his bombing run on the docked ships and ends up releasing his bombs a turn too late.

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	120968

The Macchi C.200 strafes one of the Maltese AA batteries to some effect.

Name:	IMG_0816.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	120969

The Italians then fly off back to Sicily. The results of the battle are as follows.

English and Maltese
    • “Faith” and “Hope” (Gladiators) shot down
    • several Maltese AA gunners killed in strafing attack

Italians
    • one CR.42 shot down
    • SM.79 took several hits, but was still flyable

This would be an Italian victory except for the poor bombing run (the Italians also did poorly in bomb accuracy the last time I ran this scenario)

The second scenario represented 1942. George Buerling, known alternatively as “The Knight of Malta” and “Screwball” squares off againsts a pair of Reggiane Re.2001's. This was an opportunity to play with one of the new planes (the Spitfire Mk.IX piloted by Buerling – even if it is the wrong variant and paint scheme). I am playing the Spitfire, and even though it is clearly a superior plane, I am not confident in my odds.

Over the Mediterranean, Buerling approaches the two Falco II's from behind, who each break left and right.

Name:	IMG_0820.jpg 
Size:	209.5 KB 
ID:	120970

We discover that the new planes are fast enough to get out of the trap the Reggiane's had planned. The Spitfire cruises across the sky of play.

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	120971

Buerling and the Italian pilot engage each other at short range. The Italian player draws a dreaded explosion chit amongst the other damage counters he draws. I draw an engine hit which precludes me from moving fast.

Name:	IMG_0823.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	120972

After much maneuvering and circling, the Spitfire and Falco finally engage each other head on.

Name:	IMG_0826.jpg 
Size:	192.8 KB 
ID:	120973

The engagement ends with Buerling shooting down the second Falco.
    [IMG 0827]

Name:	IMG_0827.jpg 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	120974

The results are as follows.

English
    • Buerling limps his engine damaged Spitfire back to Malta (13 out of 18 points of damage taken)

Italians
    • Both Reggiane 2001's shot down. One from an explosion, the other from an accumulation of points

The results outside of the game are as follows: introduced three new players to the game, fueled the buying habits of two other players, everyone had fun, and I got to test out one of my new planes.

Very well, David, this is interesting scenario. I like Gladiators and SM.79 is just sweet. I must remember this mission for our game events. Thank you for sharing

A very interesting couple of actions Dave. It looks as if by the time I start my Malta campaign, all the action will already be over.
    Where did you get those superb B&W aerial photographs of the ends of Grand Harbour?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    A very interesting couple of actions Dave. It looks as if by the time I start my Malta campaign, all the action will already be over.
    Where did you get those superb B&W aerial photographs of the ends of Grand Harbour?
    Rob.
    They are actually printed off the Google Maps satellite view of Valetta Harbor in 2013. Better than these photographs, the files section even has maps that are suitable for printing on a large scale, thanks to PonchoLatour.

They also look good Dave, but I like your B&W better from an aesthetic point of view.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like you had a lot of fun, great photos with easy to follow narrative, thanks for posting.

Great AAR & superb pictures

David

I need a Malta harbor piece in August. Could you send me a link or a file for what you used!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    David

I need a Malta harbor piece in August. Could you send me a link or a file for what you used!

Rich
    Hi Rich,
    Check your PM for file access.

Cheers,

dave s

Thumbs up

Interesting 1940 match up & excellent to see what the new "Fast" Spitfire could do before that engine damage slowed it down!

Similar Missions

1. Malta under siege.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-20-2014, 15:56
  2. Battle for Malta.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-28-2013, 16:05
  3. War over Malta.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6