Ares Games

Thread: WW1 Solo players announcement

Default WW1 Solo players announcement

WW1 Solo players announcement.
    A new generation of Solo Charts is being tested.
    Testers needed.

HERE

Xoliul

Hey i might try this, thanks. My girlfriend doesn't nearly have as much of an appetite for this game as I do, so I'd really like to try solo. I'll get back to you once I try!

Happy to give it a try Joaquim. I see at the top of your chart it says A - B - S, should it say A - B - C ?

Thanks, Trev.
    This chart is to be used with decks, A, B and S. They have the same set of manoeuvres at different speeds.

I'm up for a try out as always Joaquim. Did the PDF arrive ok?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Correction!!!
    It just did arrive, Neil!!

Thanks!

Thanks, Peter.
    After WW1, I'll change the charts for WW2.
    It will take a difference approach.

Has it printed ok?
    Unfortunately I have printer problems and couldn't check.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Correction!!!
    It just did arrive, Neil!!

Thanks!

Printed fine for me. I'll give it a run tonight.

I've printed it in A4 and the cards were smaller than they should be. Tomorrow I'll try again with measurements.

Smile

I am a bit involved at the moment as I am leaving at 2 pm tomorrow for 3 days (Sat, Sun, Mon) at Cancon with Zoe. I will see how things are next week after I land & de-brief & if I can assist then I will send you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I am a bit involved at the moment as I am leaving at 2 pm tomorrow for 3 days (Sat, Sun, Mon) at Cancon with Zoe. I will see how things are next week after I land & de-brief & if I can assist then I will send you a PM.
    Thanks, Barry.
    Good trip for you and Zoe.
    Have fun.

Apologies. I'll see if I can get the size right and re-send. Neil

I've printed it in A4 and the cards were smaller than they should be. Tomorrow I'll try again with measurements.

No apologies needed, my friend.

I'll see if I can give this a try Sunday; I haven't done solo gaming yet, so it should be interesting.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I'll see if I can give this a try Sunday; I haven't done solo gaming yet, so it should be interesting.
    Karl
    Thanks, Karl.

Ok, I flew 3 SpadXIIIs vs 4 Albatross D Vas. It was a great battle. 1 Albatross shot down, 1 Spad shot down, 3 damaged Albatrosses left the board. The only problem I see is that AP fly off the board too easy. I gave them each a free pass to stay on the board. I was playing on a double mat so it wasn't a small area to fly in.

This was my first solo game. I might have made some mistakes. I did ignore AP rudder jams. For engine damage I rolled a die and substituted the rolled card for a stall.

One of the Albatrosses stayed out of the battle for an hour or more, but then joined in for one pass and flew off table. I gave him a free Immlemann but he flew off the board again later.

I assumed if a plane was not closing but was less than 1 ruler and either parallel, or facing the opposite direction, use the lower section for moving away? Not sure what to do when planes are stacked.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 01-24-2014 at 05:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Ok, I flew 3 SpadXIIIs vs 4 Albatross D Vas. It was a great battle. 1 Albatross shot down, 1 Spad shot down, 3 damaged Albatrosses left the board. The only problem I see is that AP fly off the board too easy. I gave them each a free pass to stay on the board. I was playing on a double mat so it wasn't a small area to fly in.

This was my first solo game. I might have made some mistakes. I did ignore AP rudder jams. For engine damage I rolled a die and substituted the rolled card for a stall.

One of the Albatrosses stayed out of the battle for an hour or more, but then joined in for one pass and flew off table. I gave hin a free Immlemann but he flew off the board again later.

I assumed if a plane was not closing but was less than 1 ruler and either parallel, or facing the opposite direction, use the lower section for moving away? Not sure what to do when planes are stacked.
    Thanks for the test, Peter.
    I think that you made something wrong, because the tables are made to make the AI planes move always in the direction of the closest enemy plane.
    But not to worry. Let's make a pre-flight check.
    Are you using the Template to see what facing the enemy plane is from the AI plane?
    You can find it here:

http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html

The four first tables are for being used if the enemy plane is 1 ruler or less from the AI plane.
    If the enemy plane is stacked over the AI plane use the 4/5/6 aspect if the enemy plane is in the right side of the AI plane or the 7/8/9 aspect if the enemy plane is on the left side of the AI plane.

The 12/1 and 6/7 aspects if the enemy plane is more than a ruler away from the AI plane are used to close in or turn in the enemy's plane direction.

The 8 remaining tables will give the AI plane a chance of dogfighting the enemy plane and do manoeuvres that the player won't be always expecting.

Can you give me a short description of how you played an entire turn, please?

Four more decks to try here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...946#post268946

The next obvious C and D and the E and I. Also the E+ for my personal amusement.

I see that the original charts had an option for near the board edge. Do you still use that? I didn't.

I have the direction template, works easy enough. Pretty sure I used the correct tables for each plane.

Maybe it was how I flew the Spads. 1st two sets of cards I had them fly to their right and close to the edge, then turn back in. The AI of course came to them. Some of the AI off board moves were when they were trying to Immelmann. To get at the enemy sometimes you have the AI turn away, straight then Immelmann. This put a few off board. I think by starting with my planes near the edge it became difficult to get the battle back to the center as I seemed to always have one of my planes near the edge.

I'll try again with more manueverable planes for me so I don't go near the edge as much.

I never let an AI plane leave the board unless damage or wounds triggers its retreat.
    If a manoeuvre dictates that it leaves the table, I'll change it to the less damaging manoeuvre possible to the AI.
    I tend not to use the edges of the table when playing solo so that AI planes have enough room to manoeuvre.
    Try it again Peter and let us know how it went.

I did do that the first time a plane reached the edge. The next time I let them go because of wounded pilot, engine damage and high plane damages. Next time I'll use the Split S instead of normal Immelmann if it will keep them in the battle.

I really enjoyed it. I am working to start a solo campaign and like your new AP charts. I hope to start early war and progress to the end.

Thanks for the great work on the new charts!

I never let an AI plane leave the board unless damage or wounds triggers its retreat.
    When flying solo missions, I use a "floating" table in which the edges are not clearly defined. Unless a pilot wishes to cut and run, I treat the table edge like a cloud and plot their return to the table.

The charts look great, Joaquim. I'll be giving them a "go" this evening, and I'll get back to you tomorrow.

I have been using some solo rules but I cannot remember where they came from. They are posted in my album in the badly spelt Manover Album. I find they work great , the nose, left, right and rear refer to the target aircrafts position from a firing line taken from the AI aircraft.

Ps if anyone knows the author please let me know so I can thank him.
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 01-24-2014 at 00:56.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

I did ignore AP rudder jams..
    A good option for rudder jams is after you plan your maneuvers next turn roll for the AI to see which direction is jammed & then replace any turns to that side with straights, or reroll their maneuvers.

If a manoeuvre dictates that it leaves the table, I'll change it to the less damaging manoeuvre possible to the AI.
    Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    When flying solo missions, I use a "floating" table in which the edges are not clearly defined. Unless a pilot wishes to cut and run, I treat the table edge like a cloud and plot their return to the table.
    I use both of these, just depending on what the maneuver(s) are that take them near/off the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I like that. I'll go with this and only have planes fly off if pilot wounded, plane badly damaged.

Just finished a 4 Albatross V vs 3 Se5a. No one flew off board, only one came close. Se5as shot down 3 Huns while losing one. Remaining Hun flew home. He was the best pilot from last night too.

Does anyone give AP ace skills?

Yes In our OTT campaigns AI pilots can gain ace skills or start with them already attributed.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Gonna give these a bash next week when swmbo is not home!

Just finished a 4 Albatross V vs 3 Se5a. No one flew off board, only one came close. Se5as shot down 3 Huns while losing one. Remaining Hun flew home. He was the best pilot from last night too.

Does anyone give AP ace skills?
    Yes, Peter.
    I tend to use the same AI pilot that demonstrates skill, give him a name and use him again and again.
    You can use the ace abilities with AI pilots also making a few adjustments in some.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Gonna give these a bash next week when swmbo is not home!
    Please do.

Yes, Peter.
    I tend to use the same AI pilot that demonstrates skill, give him a name and use him again and again.
    You can use the ace abilities with AI pilots also making a few adjustments in some.
    I will keep track of my enemy Jastas pilots. It will be fun watching some of them gain experience and ace skills returning again and again as an arch enemy with hatred and admiration.

One thing I'm still a bit fuzzy on. When two planes, one AP, are right next to each other, (1/2" apart) either parallel or facing opposite directions, what chart do you use?

Thanks,
    Peter

I will keep track of my enemy Jastas pilots. It will be fun watching some of them gain experience and ace skills returning again and again as an arch enemy with hatred and admiration.

One thing I'm still a bit fuzzy on. When two planes, one AP, are right next to each other, (1/2" apart) either parallel or facing opposite directions, what chart do you use?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Hi Peter:

You can deal with this in two ways:

You choose the best chart for the AI pilot or;
    You roll a die.

Thanks Joaquim. I did a combination of both. Since I knew my plot, I picked the best two for the AP and roll off. Was just wondering what others(you) did.

Thanks again for the new charts!

That is one of many of the enjoyable aspects of keeping a roster of AI pilots alongside your own. Developing rivalries, flying against old enemies, seeking to avenge fallen comrades, seeing them rack up kills & if any of them can make ace.

If you check out my AAR's you'll see David Draker & Tim Smith most notably return again & again. Draker was shot down & has spent a stint in the hospital, but is due to return alongside his wingman Smith soon...

In the next week or two I'll start up my solo campaign. I have a good idea of a story line to introduce later on, just have to start it up.

In the next week or two I'll start up my solo campaign. I have a good idea of a story line to introduce later on, just have to start it up.
    Nice! I'll be waiting for your story to unravel.

Major changes in some charts and new charts added.

Here!

Peter (Teaticket) was kind enough to clean the new Charts so that they are much readable and can be printed in half a page.
    Here they are:

Solo chart for decks A G J* S T
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1779

Solo chart for decks B J R
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1780

Solo chart for decks C
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1781

Solo chart for decks D U
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1782

Peter, we would love to have a post of yours here to be able to give you much deserved REP!

Peter (Teaticket) was kind enough to clean the new Charts so that they are much readable and can be printed in half a page.
    Here they are:

Solo chart for decks A G J* S T
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1779

Solo chart for decks B J R
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1780

Solo chart for decks C
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1781

Solo chart for decks D U
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1782

Peter, we would love to have a post of yours here to be able to give you much deserved REP!
    Thanks Joaquim. We're not done yet. I have not seen the L, M, O and Q decks. I'll get the F, N P, G*, H & K to you early next week.
    Should I list V in with the A, G, J*, S & T chart?

Peer

Thanks Joaquim. We're not done yet. I have not seen the L, M, O and Q decks. I'll get the F, N P, G*, H & K to you early next week.
    Should I list V in with the A, G, J*, S & T chart?

Peter
    Yes, please, Peter.

New decks uploaded:

Solo chart for decks E I
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1786

Solo chart for deck E+
    This is a deck with a 90ş turn left and right to be used by those that feel that the Nieuport 11 Bebe has a slightly better turning ability than the Albatros DII and DIII.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1787

Solo chart for deck D+
    This is a deck with two 90ş turns left to be used by those that feel that the Fokker Dr.I has a better left turning ability than the Sopwith Camel.
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1788

Soon the other 5 charts. Once again, thanks Peter.

Thanks awfully old chap for all the effort you have put in.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thank you for your kindness, Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 16:09
  2. Announcement: Official Unofficial Aircraft Stats
    By Zoe Brain in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-05-2012, 14:47
  3. Game announcement/Mission orders
    By Anav in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-10-2011, 12:31