Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Sunderland in 1/200" scale

Default Short Sunderland in 1/200" scale

Yes the elves were getting restless this month so we broke some new ground/wood/water! Lots of great color schemes and details for this one!

Card patterns ready for action!

Now to the wood pile!

Hell, yeah!

WANT!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Me also!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I have an F-toy's 1/144 Sunderland but than that would be an easy thing. Nothing like what you do. Have to see your pictures and be amazed at another project performed by the elves.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Looks like I better make a few more . . .
    And you're surprised, why exactly
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Looks like I better make a few more . . .
    Oh! Yes.
    Rob.

Wow!
    Sitting myself in my observation chair and waiting.

I was thinking that a Short Sunderland would be O.K. for Elves, but I want a proper 1:200 length one please Clipper.
    Rob.

So it begins!

The elves are out doing some more logging for more wood . . .

With all the things you do I am surprised there is not a wood shortage in your area.

I'm getting excited already Dave, and it does not look Short at all to me.
    Rob.

All looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    With all the things you do I am surprised there is not a wood shortage in your area.
    He's in *ARIZONA*, for cryin' in a bucket -- there was a wood shortage *long* before he showed up! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    He's in *ARIZONA*, for cryin' in a bucket -- there was a wood shortage *long* before he showed up!
    Oh really?! I've been told a story of a man and several dozens of elves that in the late 1890's arrived to Arizona with a strange mechanical chainsaw, metallic claws and big paper plans of strange flying contraptions that he held dearly against his bosom.
    Some say he was named Arizona Dave, others say he had a fever in his eyes and would look at things and say "it will fly" in a low scary voice.
    Some say the elves would bring him carefully chosen pieces of wood and they would work in the night.
    Some say he came from the North - some say he didn't.
    Some say he could carve mechanical birds with his teeth.
    Some say the Indians came asking him for the feathered serpent.

And if someone tells you a smaller story I swear to God they are telling you a lie!

I am so impressed Joaquim! We do though have forests to the north, Flagstaff is well forested and to the north and east we have ample petrified forests! And some of my best friends are feathered . . .

"I know things about pigeons, Molly", he told her while he built an oregami of a strange plane that was without ever been.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post

"I know things about pigeons, Molly", he told her while he built an oregami of a strange plane that was without ever been.
    No Molly it is not just my fevered imagination whispered Dave, it surreal aircraft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deltapoints-dali-delta-757-300x200.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	121010

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 01-24-2014 at 07:32.

Getting back to the project shelf, remember these? Gotta have something to do while the resin cures . . . wings get shaped

Then the resin model becomes the carving pattern for the wood fuselages . . .

Carve x 4! Maybe I should mold this one too . . .

Maybe . . .

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Oh really?! I've been told a story of a man and several dozens of elves that in the late 1890's arrived to Arizona with a strange mechanical chainsaw, metallic claws and big paper plans of strange flying contraptions that he held dearly against his bosom.
    Some say he was named Arizona Dave, others say he had a fever in his eyes and would look at things and say "it will fly" in a low scary voice.
    Some say the elves would bring him carefully chosen pieces of wood and they would work in the night.
    Some say he came from the North - some say he didn't.
    Some say he could carve mechanical birds with his teeth.
    Some say the Indians came asking him for the feathered serpent.

And if someone tells you a smaller story I swear to God they are telling you a lie!

When I was young, I watched the Sandringhams operating on Sydney Harbour.

All the Sandringhams were civil conversions of former Royal Air Force Coastal Command or RNZAF Short Sunderlands. The Sandringham Mark 1 used Bristol Pegasus engines, while the later marks of Sandringham used Pratt & Whitney "Twin Wasp" engines. They were used by Ansett Flying Boat Services on the Sydney (Rose Bay) to Lord Howe Island scheduled service until 1974.

Nice clips Zoe.
    Quite whets my appetite for the addition of the Sunderland to my Malta Squadron.
    Rob.

While All-white with cammo top was common in Coastal Command from 1942, earlier planes sometimes extended the Medium and Dark Sea Grey to the fuselage.

Name:	short-sunderland-flying-boat-02.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	128413

Name:	1302-Profili-a-Colori-con-dida1.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	128415

Name:	Short_Sunderland_Mk_V_ExCC.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	128414

Thanks for that Zoe.
    The Eastern Med Camo 1941 is just what I wanted to see.
    Rob.

Thanks Zoe so many cammo's to choise from.

Once again great info for you. Again the reason to be here...great people with great information and knowledge.

Ooh oh pretty

Well, there are lots of drawings of Sunderlands... But why the bottom?

This is the best I could find of an image for a card:

Name:	Sunderland_MkI_img_3418.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	133495

This is NM-V of 230 Sqn, 1940

Source: http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/short-sunderland-mk-i

Mike

Well the postman just delivered me a surprise from Surprise. (Clipper will get the joke)
    What can I say Dave! Two superb Sunderlands and two Mosquitoes for my Malta Campaign. I now have almost every aircraft which served there.
    Thank you so much Dave. my cup runhneth over, and for once it is not G&T.

Name:	DSC_5199.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	120.4 KB 
ID:	135730

Rob.

Rob,
    Squadrons and crews for the planes?

Mike

Glad they made it, I sent 6 boxes that same day, UK, Austraila, and other remote places : ) Yours is the first to report in . . .

Excellent gift that you've received, Rob. Dave is the most amazing person!
    Now you'll have 3 Short Sunderlands! lol
    From lackness of anti-submarine and observation planes to a complete armada!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    When I was young, I watched the Sandringhams operating on Sydney Harbour.

All the Sandringhams were civil conversions of former Royal Air Force Coastal Command or RNZAF Short Sunderlands. The Sandringham Mark 1 used Bristol Pegasus engines, while the later marks of Sandringham used Pratt & Whitney "Twin Wasp" engines. They were used by Ansett Flying Boat Services on the Sydney (Rose Bay) to Lord Howe Island scheduled service until 1974.
    I just picked up on this post Zoe & it brought back great memories.
    When Judy & I were first married she had a girl friend who had married a Met Officer who got posted to Lord Howe Is. & we were invited to visit & stay with them.
    We flew there & back in Sandringhams which apart from Ships was the only way to get there!
    They were great to fly in with a huge amount of leg room. The arrival & departure times were rather extreme as they were geared to High Tide inside the Reef.
    I remember on the return flight at some God forsaken hour were were given a Sausage Roll & a Cream Bun with our Coffee. The food on the way over had been great!

I can really recommend Lord Howe as a Tourist destination as it is a beautiful & unspoilt place.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Rob,
    Squadrons and crews for the planes?

Mike
    The Malta Crews are unidentified, but the Squadron is 652 F.A.A. (Bulldogs) and the theatre is the Western Med Mike.
    Rob.

And here is the bird in all its 1940 Western Med glory. Straight out of Gib on its way to Malta thanks to some sterling work by Clipper.

Name:	DSC_5217.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	136656

Name:	DSC_5218.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	136657

Name:	DSC_5216.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	136655

Name:	DSC_5214.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	136654

Name:	DSC_5220.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	136658

Rob.

That's just a bit good Rob
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thanks Steve.
    However, I don't want to have to seat a set of four guns in a block on a convex surface ever again.
    Rob.

Thumbs up

Sweet Maestro, very sweet! Rob once again my hat is off to you. That new painting station has paid for itself already!

Rich

Once again, excellent, Rob!
    Exquisitive.
    You're putting me into shame...

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The Malta Crews are unidentified, but the Squadron is 652 F.A.A. (Bulldogs) and the theatre is the Western Med Mike.
    Rob.
    OK.
    NM-V is identified above as part of 230 Sqn. Was it transfered to a different organization for the Malta campaign?

Mike

Piece of cake Rob. Holes 2 up 2 down side by side parallel insert rod (cut to length) and Bob's your Uncle.

So that said maestro if I get one would you do mine for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Thanks Steve.
    However, I don't want to have to seat a set of four guns in a block on a convex surface ever again.
    Rob.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Very nice job there, Rob.
    I'm sure it will have the Regia Marina shaking in it's boots.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    OK.
    NM-V is identified above as part of 230 Sqn. Was it transfered to a different organization for the Malta campaign?

Mike
    It was in my world Mike. 52 squadron was the Bulldogs in our WWI campaign.
    In the RAF/ FAA reorganization in the 30's 52 was transferred to the F.A.A. and like several other Squadrons given a 6 in front of its original designation. This is my Swordfish half Squadron on Malta, but because of the odds and sods that washed up there in dribs and drabs, I am making a temporary squadron out of any FAA aircraft that arrive. This fits in with the spirit of the real events on Malta but gives me an imaginary squadron to fight with, alongside the actual squadrons and flights that were historically present.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Rob

What decals did you use?

Rich
    They are "Shed" decals Rich.
    Rob.

Nice job with the painting and the plane. Both of your work is excellent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Sunderland found
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 14:50
  2. Sunderland crash site
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-28-2013, 12:22
  3. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 12:59