Ares Games

Thread: The Handley Page that Feeds You? [Bob's Card Model Kit Review]

Default The Handley Page that Feeds You? [Bob's Card Model Kit Review]

Pardon the shoddy attempt at a "clever" title. I figured I had to follow suit after Kashirigi's excellent review of the Fiddler's Green Gotha. With that out of the way, here is my sub-par review of another card model biplane bomber!

After receiving the Flight of the Giants box, I really wanted to get some miniatures on the table. Being a fan of card modeling instead of buying minitaures (Between bicycles, motorcycles and photography, I have enough expensive hobbies already, so when it comes to gaming, I'll cut whatever costs I can! ), I've built a few gaming models before, but nothing this small. As such, I figured I'd build the free one before paying for kits.

The model is available at Bob's Card Models free to download PDF files, but he seems more than happy to accept donations for his hard work. The website is here: http://www.bobscardmodels.com/

Instructions are present, but being an engineer, I disregarded them completely. I only had to hide my shame and go read them a few times.

The kit goes together pretty easily after being printed at 50% on 110lb cardstock. It is quite obviously designed to be constructed at twice the size, so I made a few modifications. For the struts, I wrapped 22 gauge craft wire in the paper and then stuck the ends of that under the surface of the wing (wire bent at a 90 degree angle towards the inside of the wing). This construction method has made the entire wing structure extremely sturdy, and I will most likely be using this method again. furthermore, a couple of details are just too fiddly for me to deal with (the rear gunner's hole I just replaced with a flat black sheet, I omitted one of the struts holding the engine up, and there's some rigging detail I just flat out didn't want to bother with). Additionally, I made the guns out of black cardstock from scratch.

That said, I'm relatively happy with how the model came out. Most definitely not "showroom" quality at this scale, but it should be more than adequate for the tabletop. Perhaps a more experience small scale card modeler would have better results, but it's good enough for me!

The scale seems to be close enough when shrunk by 50% (or more appropriately, just doubling the DPI in The GIMP and printing with Irfanview - seems to have better results than scaling in an image by 50% and printing at the same DPI as the original image). The length of the fuselage comes out to about 5.25" or so, which seems to be on par for 1/144 scale.

Sadly, I'm still experimenting with mounting solutions, so she's not quite ready for the tabletop. However, the hard part's done!

Additionally, now I'm curious how hard it would be to get custom laser engraved acrylic. I'd love to have transparent bases the size of the cards with all the fire arcs on them. I'm hopeful I will be able to get most of the FotG planes on the table soon enough. Sadly, unlike the standard WoW bases, they're not standard across all aircraft in either shape or fire arc, so I'm assuming manufacturers will be less likely to bring a product out (especially in light of the fact that 1/144 scale models of a few of these aircraft aren't exactly accessible).

Anyhow, here's a few more thousand words with a Dr.1 and DH.4 for scale reference.

Wow. She looks good, and huge! No wonder the Arabs were impressed. Thanks for the link, I expect various 0/400s will start popping up in no time . You mention wanting to get all the Giants on the table...so you know of a Caproni kit? Most others seems to have been produced at some point or another, even if SRAM's R.VI seems to be a very rare find.

As for bases, well, from the FoG preview pics it seems there's just the two sizes (big and bigger) so getting some custom-made should not be too complicated. The fire arcs and data could be printed on transparent labels, glued to the base, and sealed with some varnish or another medium? There's a photoshop option (and most other such programs should have one similar) that allows you to select and manipulate one particular colour wherever it is on the image- scan the cards, select the red fire arcs and markers, and you're set.

The real question is: will we all buy some 1/144 mechanics to move around on the wings?

best regards
    Aris K.

Very nice job -- I'm impressed!

Cheers,
    KW

Quote Originally Posted by Akosion View Post
    You mention wanting to get all the Giants on the table...so you know of a Caproni kit?
    Here's what I've found... If people want to fill in the blanks, I won't complain! In fact, I might do the complete opposite of complain!

Handley Page 0/400: Should seem obvious at this point...
    Gotha: Fiddlersgreen (Reviewed on this website)
    Caproni Ca.3: http://ecardmodels.com/product_info.php?products_id=720 (No idea about quality, I may pick it up and see if it works at half scale)
    Friedrichshafen Giii: Reviresco has a cardstock/metal kit

Zeppelin Staaken: ???
    Caproni Ca.4: ???
    Felixstowe F2a: ???
    Curtis H12: ???

The Staaken and the Ca.4 are the ones I'd like on the table the most. For some reason, the boatplanes just don't speak to me the way the other bombers do.

Thumbs up The Handley Page that Feeds You? [Bob's Card Model Kit Review]

Martin!

When the Col. get back from vacation you might ask him about a base for that monster! have you looked at the Aerodrome Accessories section. He has a few WW2 bombers there. Maybe you could persuade him to add some WW1 bomber bases!

Rich

Thanks for the link to the Ca.3! Some other intriguing models there.

SRAM did a 1/144 scale R.VI in resin, but it might be a bit too fragile for gaming. It builds up well: http://www.internetmodeler.com/2004/...on/Staaken.php .

I just got the Langton 1/200 scale Felixstowe and it looks great in the box. The struts are photoeched, so might not stand up to heavy handling- but there's only one way to find out. The hull is about the same length as the DH4, the wingspan significantly wider. Until it's built I won't be sure it gives the right "giant" feel.

best regards
    Aris K.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

OMG!!!!!
    This model is soooo big....
    Aprox 8¨ of wing span and more I guess....
    Its so damm big

Realy a giant....

I will be looking into making bases for the Giants, it will depend on how much interest there are in them.

I would be interested in your bases, so you have my vote!

Cheers,
    KW

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    I will be looking into making bases for the Giants, it will depend on how much interest there are in them.
    Col.

I would be interested in a base or two for the Fredrichshafen GIII if my construction goes ahead OK.
    How many expressions of interest would you need for a base to be commercially viable?

Don

I only need around 10 bases of a type to be ordered to make them up, but price falls back in line with my other products at around 25 bases.

What kit are you using for the GIII?

I only need around 10 bases of a type to be ordered to make them up, but price falls back in line with my other products at around 25 bases.

I will need only a couple of bases.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Bruno_Stachel
    Sorties Flown

I'll need a couple for Friedrichshafen GIIIs at the very least. More if I can get my thumbs to behave and successfully complete any of the card models.

I'm very surprised there are so few bomber miniatures (either model or gaming piece) available in 1/144 compared to the range of fighters.

Reverisco

Must get on a finish it now, when I get back from Italy

Don

I would be interested in a few of the bases. Especially if they would be of the same quality as the WWII bases appear to be on the website's store. Those things look sharp!

Perhaps set up a pre-order list for each plane, and once it reaches 10 or 25, everybody pays and then the order gets sent out? I'm suspecting some planes will be more popular than others.

Similar Missions

1. Zeppelin Model!!!
    By LazyEyedPsycho in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-28-2017, 09:32
  2. Model Production
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-30-2010, 00:54
  3. Oh my Gotha [Fiddlers Green Kit Review, pic heavy]
    By Kashirigi in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 18