Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War League Rules, Master Edition

Default Wings of War League Rules, Master Edition

Hello, All

I'm looking for a pamphlet the title is "Wings of War League Rules", put out by Charles Stout III and published by Don Bonner. I've done a search and could not find it in the forum. If some one has a link to the site where I could obtain it, I would appreciate it. I've also looked in the file section as well. Thank you for your help.

Tom

I don't know if those rules are on this site, but I found them here

http://gamingforacure.webs.com/files.htm

Thanks Larry, that was just what I was looking for.

Tom

Me too. Thanks Larry.

If you find the rules on the site could you post the rules here? We are trying to get some leagues going here in Maryland. Picked up a few younger players and they are meeting on Wed now.

Since these July posts, those rules have been posted to this site here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=434

Thanks Larry...couldn't seem to find them on GfaC website...already have the Traverse City rules from here though

Perfect! Thanks!

You can get the latest rules at our web site.

Traverse City Wings Of War League

Quote Originally Posted by MayorJim View Post
    Thanks Larry...couldn't seem to find them on GfaC website...already have the Traverse City rules from here though
    The original rules were The Wings of War League. When Don finally posted them here, we added the Traverse City to the title so everyone would know where they came from if they wanted to ask questions. Sorry for the confusion.

Hey Charlie are you guys going to put the rule book back in book from? Everyone I made a copy for loved it that way as did I.

I know you have nothing better to do with your time. So I thought I would ask.

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Hey Charlie are you guys going to put the rule book back in book from? Everyone I made a copy for loved it that way as did I.

I know you have nothing better to do with your time. So I thought I would ask.
    It's still on this site in the House Rules Section of WWI files. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=434

I probably wont do it in the small book format again. Hard to read for us pilots who are long in the tooth.

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post
    It's still on this site in the House Rules Section of WWI files. http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...do=file&id=434

I probably wont do it in the small book format again. Hard to read for us pilots who are long in the tooth.
    I'm with you on that one. Just everyone I'm recruiting is a lot younger then me and love the look of the book form. I'm trying to pull in the high-school group and you know how they like everything smaller, cameras, phones, etc.

I printed my copy and put it into plastic sleeves and then into a 3-ring binder. My printer couldn't handle the color graphics, but b&w was fine.

Our rule book that is kept on site is also in the sleeves. The other advantage LGKR and I found to printing it in the larger format was that when the group decided to add or change a rule we could correct it on the appropriate page or add a new one without having to reprint the whole thing.
    We just make the corrections, and print new pages for the group too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Me too. Thanks Larry.
    Did you want to use the Traverse City League rules for the WoW GTA Tournament Day on Feb 26th Bruce?

I've got a quick question. In the league rules it seems you cover everything but what decides the victor. How many missions must be won to win the war? Or do we set a set number of game days. We can come up with something ourselves but sense we're using your league rules I thought to run it by you guys first. Looking forward to your input.

Tom
    P.S. Our 1st mission is this Monday at Austin's house.

I've got a quick question. In the league rules it seems you cover everything but what decides the victor. How many missions must be won to win the war? Or do we set a set number of game days. We can come up with something ourselves but sense we're using your league rules I thought to run it by you guys first. Looking forward to your input.

Tom
    P.S. Our 1st mission is this Monday at Austin's house.
    In our group there is a core group of die hard players and then there are those who play when they can. So we have never really ran a campaign that has specific end. Our league nights are just part of a never ending campaign. We do tally up the final scores at the end of each 4 month season and name an Ace of Aces as well as who made into the Killer Elite (those with 30 victories or more).

Quote Originally Posted by LGKR View Post
    In our group there is a core group of die hard players and then there are those who play when they can. So we have never really ran a campaign that has specific end. Our league nights are just part of a never ending campaign. We do tally up the final scores at the end of each 4 month season and name an Ace of Aces as well as who made into the Killer Elite (those with 30 victories or more).
    Thanks Don, sounds good to me. We will talk about it on Monday.

Thanks Don, sounds good to me. We will talk about it on Monday.
    One thing I was going to mention; Our score board keeps track of number missions flown, victories and KIA/MIAs. I created spreadsheet that does the math for me every week. First you need to get the total average of victories vs missions displayed as a percentage. Then do the same for KIA/MIA. Now subtract the KIA/MIA percentage from the victories. This give the pilots their rating. As for being eligible for the top ace spot at the end of the season a player needs to have flown at least 25% of the total number of the most missions flown. This stops someone from playing one league night and winning the season.

One thing that Don didn't mention is that our players fly for which ever side strikes their fancy in each game we play. Although we will occasionally have a series of flights that are linked (like recon and bombing missions, or Don's Aerodrome Defense) most of our game nights are filled with 2 or 3 one off games. Don and I have been careful to have a game league that is more about friendly compitition and fun and less about who wins and loses. In our case the war never ends and the focus is on the experiances of the pilots in the moment.

Some of our players prefer certain aircraft so they always fly for one side or the other. Our players really enjoy tracking their various pilot's exploits (on both sides of no man's land) and we all cheer when a pilot crashes, survives and gets home to fly again, and moan the loss of a intrepid pilot to the dreaded explosion or occasional collision. Lastly I am greatful to him for taking over as Flight Commander here ever since I was moved to a working schedule that causes me to be unable to attend very many game nights at the moment. Our group continues to grow and change so we must be doing something right.

I hope our League rules help you out!

Thanks for the advice Charlie and Don. I will try to keep things loose as we are forming our group now. Say a prayer for us, for a good turn out this Monday.

Tom

Similar Missions

1. Welcome to the Wings of War Aerodrome
    By zMaint in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 83
    Last Post: 02-18-2021, 01:41
  2. Dawn of War: What optional rules do you use?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 04:16
  3. League Trophy for Bixby's Wings of War
    By Bixby in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2010, 21:07
  4. Repaint Contest - Win a Wings of War or Dawn of War box set!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 08:30