Ares Games

Thread: Matt in Canberra, reporting for duty

fledermaus

Talking Matt in Canberra, reporting for duty

Hi all

I've been lurking for a while now, but given that I've just finished my first WGF game (solo, but hey, a game is a game) I thought I'd better report for duty.

I first saw this game at Wintercon - unfortunately, only as I was leaving! It was right in front of the door, but I went left instead of right, so didn't see it til the last minute. I only had time to snap a couple of pics on my phone and to make a mental note to 'google that plane game'.

Quickly picked up the Rules and Accessory Pack from Milsims (OK, not so quickly - I looked everywhere for WWF stuff rather than WGF, because..wait for it...I liked the old font). The Fokker v Sopwith starter box was out of stock, so I picked up two Spad XIII Coadous and two Albatros D.Va Udets. And then I sleeved the cards, put the boxes on the shelf and forgot about them for a while.

Anyway, the games are slowly piling up in there, but my time to schedule games has taken a hit from work, study, and family. However, I made a resolution for the new year to make more time for gaming, even if it meant playing solo. I started googling for (more) (expensive) solo games...but wait a sec, didn't that plane game have solo rules? Five hours later (nothing is easy with a five and seven-year-old 'helping'), here I am.

I'll post a report of my first game (prob later in the week - off to Sydney tomorrow), but briefly, I took the D.Vas against the Spads using the Basic rules, the latter on autopilot with the Tyneside / Hatfield / Mather advanced A-SPAD-XIII table. There was a lot of shooting, mostly at me. I won't give away the ending yet!

Name:  wgf1.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  215.7 KB
    "Your mother was a hamster *click* and your father *click click click* ...MERDE!"

Cheers
    Matt

G'Day Matt,
    Welcome aboard and Happy New Year.
    BdiR

My number is 02 6248 0542. I'm in Downer.

Glad you liked Wintercon - will you be at Cancon?

On behalf of the Squadrons based here in the U.K. welcome to the Drome Matt.
    Do pop into the Officers' Mess to introduce yourself to the Chaps and bag a few free beers as befits a new pilot.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Welcome to the 'drome Matt & happy new year from a soaking East Sussex in England today - look forward to seeing your AAR & hope you get the chance for more games and planes in 2014 ! Check out the Over The Trenches sub-forum for some solo game action RBs rules

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

mnmweaver

Welcome Matt!

I'm new to the game as well and have been having fun figuring it all out. This site is very impressive from the helpful members to the extensive subject matter and files. It 's a great community.

Best Regards,

Mark

Welcome, Matt, from the Eastern United States! Looking forward to seeing the results of your first scrap.

Welcome from Italy Welcome aboard

Attilio

Matt,
    Welcome from Vancouver Island, Canada. Probably the closest part of Canada to Australia. If you need opponents, and no-one is close by, try a Skype game.

Alastair [Doug], in Toowoomba, is a local afficianado of web gaming.

Mike

Hi Matt, welcome from England. Happy New Year.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Thumbs up

G'day Matt & welcome to the drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW!

Mate do try to make Cancon. Zoe & I will be there all 3 days doing demo games.
    We even have Steel Rat from Canada coming over again to join the fun.
    I will be doing some WW2 games while Zoe has a break.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Matt, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Welcome Matt, good to see you here, pop down the mess for a beer or two, from Bristol UK

Welcome Matt, don't worry about playing solo, there are a lot of us here, so you in good company.

Welcome Matt. There are several players in Canberra, perhaps you can get a few games with them?

Enjoy the hobby

Dave

Welcome from the central part of the U.S., Matt.

As Dave mentioned, OTT is a great campaign and the solo rules are very accessible and enjoyable. The Final Months rules thread has links to most anything you would need.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/for...r-the-Trenches

fledermaus

Thanks all!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-30-2011, 21:12
  2. My Wings of Glory matt
    By Mike George in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2011, 07:48
  3. Play Matt Problem
    By Canuck in forum Hobby Room