Ares Games

Thread: General question about the basic rules.

Default General question about the basic rules.

I don't really know if this is even an issue but... I知 new to WoW and have only purchased the Famous Aces box at this time. I知 presuming that Watch Your Back & Burning Drachens introduce new rules (amongst other things) so, baring in mind that there are inconstancies in the rules from one release to the next (or so I gather. Please correct me if I知 wrong) would anyone care to recommend which one to get next? I can see from elsewhere on the WWA that a lot of people are putting a lot of effort into compiling a definitive set of rules but, until such time as post the fruits of their labours, what痴 the next best thing?

Not much difference in the Rules available between Famous Aces, and Watch you Back.

With Burning Drachens, you do get new rules introduced. Most dealing with Ground Fire from Machine Guns and AAA, as well as targeting ground targets with Machine Guns from your aircraft, and of course, the Balloons are introduced. Altitude rules are given which take into account the Balloons in play, and Anti-Aircraft fire.

If I had to choose between Watch your Back and Burning Drachens, it would be Burning Drachens for me.

There is a either a File in the File section, or a thread on here somewhere which details the different Maneuver and attack cards which come in each of the boxed set.

For extra rules, get BD. The rub is that you will need to get either WYB or a Deluxe set in order to get the B damage deck which is need for almost every two-seater in the game as well as a hand full of scouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    For extra rules, get BD. The rub is that you will need to get either WYB or a Deluxe set in order to get the B damage deck which is need for almost every two-seater in the game as well as a hand full of scouts.
    Remember, that's not the case any more. Flight of the Giants also has the B deck.

Pick up Burning Drachens and Flight of the Giants and you will have everything you need for your gaming experience. Unfortunately only 2 of the maneuver decks in Watch Your Back are currently available outside of that set, but the E and F maneuver decks are somewhat odd mismatched airplanes; they're hard to pair up for one-on-one dogfights. So, I wouldn't worry about it unless you have to have everything, in which case you'll buy all of them anyway...

So, rules wise the logical next purchase for someone new to the game would be WYB before BD? Or am I wrong? With regard to the learning curve, does it matter much?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cundall View Post
    So, rules wise the logical next purchase for someone new to the game would be WYB before BD? Or am I wrong? With regard to the learning curve, does it matter much?
    Rules-wise, there should be no added rules in Watch Your Back. It includes an identical rule book to that included in Famous Aces. If you're looking for added rules, Burning Drachens offers altitude, anti-aircraft, and balloons (including balloon barrages, but not zeppelins); Flight of the Giants offers multi-engine airplanes and expanded bombing rules.

But I would not recommend you buy any set for the rules. You can usually get them on-line without a problem:
    http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed...eidm=24&esem=4
    They don't yet have the rules up for Flight of the Giants, but I assume that oversight will be remedied in the not-too-distant future.

I'd go for BD next, others have stated most of the reasons already, WYB is only really needed if you want the card 2-seaters (the B-deck can be simulated by halving the damage number).

You can download the BD rules and the miniatures rules from this site, but BD includes many counters and other material required to use the rules it adds properly.

Not to blow my own trumpet, but I've got a compilation of all the rules to date (except FOTG) in the files section which might be of use to you.

The three must have sets would be FA, BD, and now FotG. There is also a really good thread about this subject as a Sticky in the Gen section of WWI.

Defintely get Burning Drachens next, if nothing else for the altitude rules alone. But BD has other new rules which are a must for advanced play. Enjoy!

Scott

I played my first game yesterday so I have a bit more of an idea of how it all works. (I've got to say that I've never had so much fun with a board game ever. It's brilliantly simple and addictive.) A big "thank you" to everyone who posted. The opinion and advice is most welcome and has given me a few things to think about.
    Last edited by Tom Cundall; 07-18-2010 at 08:36.