Ares Games

Thread: over-dive questions

Default over-dive questions

Cheers!

is the straight card in an over-dive (stall-dive-straight) an steep maneuver? I'm guessing it is, since it suposed to be a second dive, and if it is stadar rules apply and (1) the plane can not play another steep maneuver (say a stall) after it, (2) nor can play an imelmann card after that straight.

Am I right?

The straight after an overdive is a normal non-steep maneuver.

The overdive sequence does not change it into a steep maneuver.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

thanks for your anwser Sven!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    The straight after an overdive is a normal non-steep maneuver.

The overdive sequence does not change it into a steep maneuver.
    is that on the rules-book or has this beeing discussed elsewhere?

I'm not questioning your knoledge about it, but I'm wondering what is the logic behind this? I mean: if a (simple) dive is an steep maneuver shoudn't an over-dive an steep maneuver too? I mean it's a longer, faster (according to the last rule-book planes that is shoot at while over-diving is harder to hit because it's moving faster), and presumably sloping down coloser to 90º angle... shoudn't it be even more streessing for the plane's structure than a regular dive? -- hence, beign an steep maneuver too

thanks again

From a rule point of view it is just a straight, even if you loose height with that. It could not be a steep maneuvre, since it follows a steep maneuvre...

From a simulation point of view, this allows such maneuvres as a climb just after the overdive, using the energy from the overdive itself. On the rest - well, judge yourself and make a more precise house tules if you want to!

thanks Andrea!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    From a rule point of view it is just a straight, even if you loose height with that. It could not be a steep maneuvre, since it follows a steep maneuvre...

From a simulation point of view, this allows such maneuvres as a climb just after the overdive, using the energy from the overdive itself. On the rest - well, judge yourself and make a more precise house tules if you want to!
    Makes sense. Thanks Andrea!

It could not be a steep maneuvre, since it follows a steep maneuvre...
    Except that the Over Dive maneuver its self breaks the steep - steep rule I actually think it works well just as written.

Is it possible to execute an Immelmann after an overdive? If so, this could be a lot of fun to try on an opponent.

Are there any prohibitions for given plane models regarding overdives?

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    Is it possible to execute an Immelmann after an overdive? If so, this could be a lot of fun to try on an opponent.

Are there any prohibitions for given plane models regarding overdives?
    Yes, the straight of the over dive could be used as the straight before the Immelmann.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, the straight of the over dive could be used as the straight before the Immelmann.
    Great. Thanks.

What do you envision the angle of the straight to be? If the plane can, subsequently, execute an Immelmann, is it pulling out of the dive at the end of the straight?

I envision that the plane is in the very steep part of the dive on the Dive card and is slowly pulling out of the dive (but still losing altitude) through the Straight card, coming back to level at the end of it.

on a further question:
    does the hard-to-hit/moving-fast-target rule applies both during the dive (2nd card) and the straight (3rd card) or only during the dive (2nd card) part of the full maneuver? (I'm guessing that it doesn't applies during the 'stall' (1st card) since the plane is actually moving slow at that time)

I think it's during cards 2 & 3. That is where your plane has most momentum.

*goes off to look at rulebook as a reminder*

rulebook says the plane is hard to hit while over-diving, but doesn't especify if it is during the whole maneuver, during the dive, or during the dive-straight

Whole maneuvre.
    the boss has spoken!

Quote Originally Posted by Gallo Rojo View Post
    rulebook says the plane is hard to hit while over-diving, but doesn't especify if it is during the whole maneuver, during the dive, or during the dive-straight
    Whole maneuvre.
    Not according to the game's Rulebook:

"An overdiving airplane is harder o hit. If the airplane has been shoot after the dive or the straight of an overdive (see page 15), the owner may choose to ignore a single damage card per turn, immediately after drawing and seeing it." (Wings of Glory Rulebook, page16)

it specifically mentions the dive and the straight but ignores the stall part of the whole maneuver

if overdive is a nose-down dive, faster than a regular dive, I don't see how is it possible that the whole maneuver is not a steep maneuver.

Since stalls do not derive from airspeed and can occur at any speed I would stay as per the Rule Book ...
    As mentioned above, it is during cards 2 & 3 the A/C has the most momentum.

Karo 7

The rules say that a plane on altitude 1 can't perform an overdive and that a complete overdive maneuver reduces the altitude two times for one level (1x on dive, 1x on straight). So, shouldn't the rules say that a plane under altitude 3 can't perform an overdive, because every plane below altitude 3 is going to hit the ground through an overdive?

I suppose that technically a plane on level two could overdive, straight, stall. He would then have landed.
    Might take an Ace to pull this off Florian!
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Karo 7

Seems like a Launchpad McQuack action. Serious: the rule should be: a plane below altitude 3 can't perform an overdive, correct?

Seems logical to me Florian.
    we will just have to wait for the Powers that Be to adjudicate on the nuances of this rule.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quoting from the Italian Rule Book at page 16:
    "Se a causa di una picchiata un aeroplano dovesse trovarsi sotto quota +1, ciò equivarrebbe a schiantarsi al suolo, e tale aeroplano sarebbe quindi eliminato dal gioco."

That would loosely be: If due to an overdive an airplane were to be under Flight Level +1, that would be crashing to the ground, and the airplane would then be eliminated from the game.

Although I personally like Rob's sequence (overdive, straight, stall), this would actually require some Ace's abilities indeed ...

So, unless introducing some sort of HR, this might answer to Florian's question.

Similar Missions

1. Dive speed bonus?
    By 'Warspite' in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-18-2013, 04:39
  2. When does dive bombing start?
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 08:56
  3. over-dive question
    By Black Bishop in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 2