Ares Games

Thread: They called them Spitfires...

Default They called them Spitfires...

The one and only:

Well now. That's damn cool. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for sharing Joaquim !

Terrific, isn't it ?

Reminded me of when I was a kid; my brother and I were watching the film Battle of Britain when my step-mothers friend came in. She watched for a few moments at two youngsters engrossed in a film and just casually said ...."I used to make those".... Two young heads snapped round !!
    Apparently this quiet unassuming little old lady used to build the wings of Spitfires during the war

Thanks for posting this great video footage!!!

Thanks for that footage Joaquim.
    Did you notice the Spit being armed near the start of the film seemed to have a secondary roundel near the cockpit. I have never seen that before.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Damn, I came cross a link about a week ago that led me to actual German gun camera footage. FW190's and ME110's taking out B17's and a tenacious Fw190 pilot dogfighting with a Mustang. It really put it into perspective especially when you saw the FW pilot walk his fire along the wings and fuselage of the B17, devastating.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Damn, I came cross a link about a week ago that led me to actual German gun camera footage. FW190's and ME110's taking out B17's and a tenacious Fw190 pilot dogfighting with a Mustang. It really put it into perspective especially when you saw the FW pilot walk his fire along the wings and fuselage of the B17, devastating.
    Is it this what you wanted to find?

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...382#post260382

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Did you notice the Spit being armed near the start of the film seemed to have a secondary roundel near the cockpit. I have never seen that before.
    Rob.
    I saw the footage twice and couldn't find that Rob. At what minute and second is that frame?

Fantastic. Im glad we have WoG to play, because i really dont think that I would have the nerves and the spirit to lead a flying machine, at high altitudes, at high speed and chasing another person on the same situation, possibly killing him.
    Thanks

Nick

Thank you for posting that film, Joaquim, and for the other link. The Spitfire with the secondary roundel is at 4:14 into the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Rob.
    402 RCAF Squadron Spitfires were marked with a red maple leaf in a white circle near the cockpit. That might be what it is.

An example and explanation (?): Johnnie Johnson's Spitfire - Revisited
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 13:31
  2. Pink Spitfires
    By jbmacek in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 14:57
  3. Sixteen Spitfires
    By FrankJamison in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 14:30
  4. Aussie Spitfires