Ares Games
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fire and jammer rudders

That's right, they did add the smoke+smoke when they printed the RAP.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I'd prefer that they stack.
    Or explode!

I always stack.
    Methinks our Jovial Oberst is a bit bloodthirsty this evening chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I always stack.
    Methinks our Jovial Oberst is a bit bloodthirsty this evening chaps.
    Rob.
    An elegant solution. And one I am adopting post-haste.

I am also planning on doing nothing to agitate Herr Oberst.

I like that too, stacking fire is the way to go....go down in flames anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Quick question: Should this allow a pilot to voluntarily choose an illegal move? We've played it this way a few times. A pilot risks damaging their kite, but can also pull off impressive maneuvers.

Any thoughts?
    When illegal card is opened, it's immediately replaced with streight, and, in addition, A card is drawn?

Jammed rudder forces you to play illegal move, O.K. And in other situations, above could be solution.

Only exception should be made with Immelman turn, which should have it's mandatory sequence (but illegal move should be still punished with A card).

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    When illegal card is opened, it's immediately replaced with streight, and, in addition, A card is drawn?

Jammed rudder forces you to play illegal move, O.K. And in other situations, above could be solution.

Only exception should be made with Immelman turn, which should have it's mandatory sequence (but illegal move should be still punished with A card).
    With a jammed rudder on both sides, you still have the option to side slip or try an overdive to put out the fire.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    With a jammed rudder on both sides, you still have the option to side slip or try an overdive to put out the fire.
    Rob.
    Perhaps this is a newbie mistake, but the rules seem to say that you cannot side slip with a rudder jam
    http://issuu.com/aresgames/docs/wgf0...k-en_np_web/18

...the rudder of the airplane is jammed. .... The airplane cannot choose maneuvres to the left (manoeuvres that have an arrow pointing left in the lower right corner of the card) for the next turn.
    If I recall correctly the decks I've seen have that arrow for side slips.
    Am I missing something?

Sorry Fox, it is I who must be wrong on that one.
    I thought I had read in one of Andrea's posts that this was allowed.
    Must be my failing memory again.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    No shooting while on fire would take away the temptation to keep maneuvering and fighting while on fire. If you can't do damage one will minimize one's own damage taken.
    I agree...Fly'em around and burn them down!

I don't want the game tooooo realistic as it will take the fun out of it for me. I like the rules as written.

Smoke seems to be pooh poohed....I thought it was important as its the stepping stone to fire?

We have been playing with smoke + smoke = fire since Ares published the rule change, and it has caused fire three or four times in the last few games - but I like the idea of restricting pilot's ability to fire if flying straight when smoking (or at all when on fire), and will suggest we try that at the club

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I like using altitude. It gives less maneuverable, like the SPAD, some options in a fight by using the vertical. The power dive can be used to get you out of trouble fast. One of my favorite tactics is to gain altitude and fly over a furball, out of gun range due to altitude, and split S, and dive if necessary, behind an enemy aircraft. Quite often it catches your enemy by surprise because he is preoccupied with the aircraft he is engaging at his altitude.
    You have just described the essence of Boom & Zoom tactics... something invented in no small part thanks to the SPAD's incredible diving ability.

Flying the SPAD without altitude rules is kind of pointless... as it was the first plane with the speed and strength to be a true vertical fighter and in the real world, changed the face of air combat tactics once this was understood.

I <3 SPAD

Steve
    Last edited by surfimp; 05-29-2014 at 08:06.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    Flying the SPAD without altitude rules is kind of pointless... as it was the first plane with the speed and strength to be a true vertical fighter and in the real world, changed the face of air combat tactics once this was understood.
    Good point. Controlling the vertical allows one to engage/disengage at will. To overlook this can be fatal... as noted by a certain Captain Spock: "He [Khan] is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

And the SPAD is one of the fastest climbers in the game... combined with its great speed, if you use some creative 3 dimensional thinking you can really torment most Central Powers planes with relative impunity.

Quote Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
    I <3 SPAD
    I can not play SPAD XIII. It is just too fast for me and I can not estimate right turns. I can Fly almost all other WWI aircraft, but I have never won a game with SPAD XIII. If you can play SPAD XIII well, you have my respect

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I can not play SPAD XIII. It is just too fast for me and I can not estimate right turns. I can Fly almost all other WWI aircraft, but I have never won a game with SPAD XIII. If you can play SPAD XIII well, you have my respect
    The SPAD turns the same to the right as to the left, unlike the rotary engined planes like the Dr.1 and Camel. But since it's so fast and turns so slowly, I have better luck doing Immelmans and Split-Ss, combined with climbing and diving.

When flying the SPAD, I look at the table in terms of long straight passes with reversals, and use turns mainly to line up each pass, as opposed to the Turn-and-Burn planes like the Camel and Dr.1. With the speed, you can come though, hit hard and then bank and dive away. Once out of gun range, climb for altitude again, do another reversal, maybe a turn to line up, then rinse-repeat.

When it all works it's great fun!

P.S. - Playing the SPAD without altitude rules wouldn't be fun (or historical) and would be a huge disadvantage for the plane. I would choose Camel or Dr. 1 in that scenario
    Last edited by surfimp; 05-29-2014 at 10:49.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Missions

1. Fire
    By Nick_ace in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 13:23
  2. to fire or not to fire?
    By von munchalot in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-01-2012, 01:22
  3. fire
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Rules Help