Ares Games

Thread: Solo Rules Questions

Default Solo Rules Questions

Hey Folks,

How do you handle the following situations? I have been making calls on the spot, but I would very much like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

1. When an AI plane takes rudder damage, and the next turn, the rolled moves include the prohibited turns?

2. When an AI plane fails a morale check, or is going to bug out for another reason, and the remaining cards for the current turn do not make sense in light of getting off the board as quickly as possible?

3. When looking up a sector on the AI maneuver charts, but the directions/angles don't exactly fit? For example, assume one of my planes is at 3:00 to the AI plane, and I am flying somewhat parallel, but slightly angled toward the AI plane such that if we both continued to fly straight, we would eventually cross each others' path - multiple maneuvers/turns away. When I look at the AI chart, I have 2-3 o'clock coming in, but the associated turns make sense if my plane was flying perpendicular to the AI plane. The reality is, if I follow the AI charts, the AI plane will turn toward a non-occupied sector after the next maneuver or two, because my plane wasn't staying in that sector. I am noticing these types of situations in which I don't know what part of the chart I should roll under, i.e. which part makes the most sense.

More questions to come ...

Firstly: Be the I in AI - Do whatever is best for the aircraft !
    1. Rudder damage: Depends on the situation - generally: If it's just one substitute with a straight; if there are multiples &/or it make sense to do so, go the other way !
    2. Morale or Bug out: Treat it like special damage - its affects are felt in the next turn !
    3. Directions/angles don't exactly fit: Refer you to 'firstly' above - however, in the example given, if your aircraft flew straight on and the AI turned toward where you had been he would then be behind your aircraft and on the next turn should be turning in behind you, or at least trying to. Personally I probably wouldn't count that situation as 'closing' as you're not pointing at the AI so that would only leave 'moving away' option.
    I play a predictive game myself - if an aircraft will be in another zone after playing the first card of his move then I plot for that; most useful with passing aircraft eg 12 to 6 o'clock but helps track those on the limit eg 2 to 1 o'clock.
    Bottom line - Do what you feel's right & makes sense Eric.

Hi Eric.
    I also use the rule, if any plane gets rudder damage one card for each turn it has in that direction is taken out, with the exception of the Camels tight turn because the torque should be able to take it around anyway.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Same as. Rudder damage take a straight, stall or opposite turn, whichever feels right. I get the closing/away bit confused so I always move the AI the way I would have turned if it comes out wrong. In the end if it looks and feels right you've done the right thing. For moral and bugging out, any card that takes it away from the enemy and closer to home is valid. Again if it feels and looks right it is.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

I agree with guys comments above, I always look to see where the three cards will take the AI plane, if it looks like a stupid move I look at the next sector my aircraft is flying into and choose that one, it seems to work. As for bugging out I choose the cards for the AI and head for the nearest table edge to get off as fast as I can. As for rudder, I change the card for straight or opposite turn, depending on which would be best for the AI.

Not much to add to what the others already said. I like to be flexible & make judgements on the fly based on what makes sense mostly.

#1 For rudder jams I generally replace with a straight, or perhaps a turn the opposite way.

#2 I don't let the AI planes flee until the next turn (you're commited to your 3 moves)

#3 When it comes to reading the AI clock, if the normal result is wonky based on positioning & (which happens sometimes in scenarios like you describe), I instead give him the advantage of basing his move on a predictive of which clock facing I'm moving to, or will be moving through for him to intercept & apply the roll to that, which ultimately yields a usable series of moves.

If this helps:

I've been playing with my advanced solo charts, that I upgrade from the amazing Richard Bradley's solo charts.

You can find some of them here (cleaned by Richard Bradley):

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1039

And the fast drawn charts made by me here:

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1240

I've always wanted to add better reflexes to the AI player in some situations where was easy to get the AI plane under my cross-hair. During my three last scenarios I tried a couple of things that worked out very well. They are easy to use and don't need any change in the charts. So, without further introductions my optional Solo Rules:

Optional Solo Rules for the Advanced Solo Charts

1) Enemy plane is less that 1 ruler from AI plane from any facing and clearly closing: Use table 6/7 - Closing
    2) Enemy plane is less that 1 ruler in the 12/1 arc of the AI plane and is not clearly closing or moving away and moving to the left side of the AI plane: Use table 10/11 - closing
    3) Enemy plane is less that 1 ruler in the 12/1 arc of the AI plane and is not clearly closing or moving away and moving to the right side of the AI plane: Use table 2/3 - closing

I hope that these changes will reduce the strange movement that in some cases the AI plane does when faced with enemy planes very close.

If any of you uses these rules, please let me know if they worked out well. Thanks.

I have been using the cards exclusively for solo play.
    Occasionally I will draw one that "makes no sense" for the AI aircraft to perform.
    I take the next card that fits the situation and use that.
    If it still doesn't seem right I select the next.
    Haven't had to go beyond two yet ...
    I have found a couple where the card shows an illegal move - like this one for example using the N deck "Moving Away" for sector 10-11
    There are two stalls in a row.
    I substitute a left sideslip for the last card :
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solo N Illegal Move.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	170380

Does that seem logical ?

Hi Pete.

There are indeed some sequence of maneuvers in the decks that are illegal. It's on purpose.
    It's a edge that I decided to give the AI planes so that they could do a maneuver that the player wouldn't be expecting.
    If you don't feel comfortable with that you can use the top row sequence of maneuvers or draw another card.
    But I find it refreshing when playing against the AI.
    I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackronin View Post
    Hi Pete.

There are indeed some sequence of maneuvers in the decks that are illegal. It's on purpose.
    It's a edge that I decided to give the AI planes so that they could do a maneuver that the player wouldn't be expecting.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks for the very quick response.
    Knowing that it was an intentional action on your point I will now accept the move as intended.

Had a very close game yesterday between 3 SE5a and 3 Siemens-Schukert DIII where this came up twice.
    I had also introduced collisions for the first time.
    I was playing the SS to give the AI the advantage on hit points.
    I lost my first to a collision with Dallas. (A true Boelke - I died, the SE5a took no damage)

It got down to 3 planes left - my two vs. Billy Bishop.
    My two collided - my survivor had one hit point left!

With his next shot he managed to take down Bishop with exactly the 2 points needed.

Similar Missions

1. AAR - 1st Solo - Trying out the Rules
    By OldGuy59 in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 14:50
  2. Solo Rules?
    By gavain2 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 09:24
  3. richard bradley solo newbie questions
    By Ludobrabo in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 16