Ares Games
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pilot Cards

Default Pilot Cards

Not sure if this is the correct section to put this but I thought I would share my latest offering.

I thought It would be nice, especially for a player like me whose do not know all of the pilots that were in WW1 to have a simple reference card.
    The card has a brief description and images of the planes in the game that he flew.
    A picture of the pilot. I think it is cool to actually place a face in the planes of the game.

Anyway just a simple reference card so when you are rummaging through which planes you want to use for a game this will be a nice little aid to guide
    you or new players to their selection.

Maybe an idea also for those who do shows.

Last edited by Captain Chum; 03-06-2014 at 12:53.

I like!

Chris

Users Country Flag

Name
    Nick
    Sorties Flown

I like too! Gives a good overview of the man.

As a suggestion, given that we are playing planes, why not also have a card for each plane that describes the pilot's experience and reputation when he flew it. And the sort of missions it was used for.

This would be especially good with MvR given that he has 3/4 planes in this game.

Great idea Kelly.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great stuff Kelly .

Rabbit 3's Avatar Squadron Leader Scotland.
    Captain

Users Country Flag

Name
    Robert
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by furryflight View Post
    I like too! Gives a good overview of the man.

As a suggestion, given that we are playing planes, why not also have a card for each plane that describes the pilot's experience and reputation when he flew it. And the sort of missions it was used for.

This would be especially good with MvR given that he has 3/4 planes in this game.
    That seems to be more or less what Ares were thinking about with the Ace Skill promo cards they put out some time back.
    I kind of hope they revisit this at some point with a full product as it was a very good idea.

I think MvR will have four official planes once the Albatros D.II`s are released, though if you also count the generic Halberstadt D.II as well it makes five!

Great idea Kelly, are you putting them in the files section?

Not as flashy, and more about the plane, as well as some info on the pilots, is this business card file:

Pilot/Aircraft Cards

I put these in my Aerodrome "Hangar" display cases, for personal reference, and to help novices learn a bit of history, while having fun.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    Great idea Kelly, are you putting them in the files section?
    Thank you,

I can. Probably should wait until I get enough on one page to print before uploading. Currently working on Voss's card and I am have some minor trouble with some imaging. I may move off and work on another pilot until I can figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Not as flashy, and more about the plane, as well as some info on the pilots, is this business card file:

Pilot/Aircraft Cards

I put these in my Aerodrome "Hangar" display cases, for personal reference, and to help novices learn a bit of history, while having fun.

Mike
    Yes, these are nice cards. One of my goals that I wanted this version to do was to place a face with the actual game miniature(s).

I have left the "cloud" image long enough for any updates to new versions of planes a pilot flown or customs for that matter. Looks like The Baron's card already needs an update.

The card is a great idea... and well-presented. Thanks for sharing.

Yes I agree with others, good idea.

Kelly these cards are very good. Thanks.

Very professional looking card Kelly.
    I like the layout.
    Rob.

Thanks gents,
    Got a little side tracked with the gimbal mount project but hope to jump back on this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Chum View Post
    Thanks gents,
    Got a little side tracked with the gimbal mount project but hope to jump back on this soon.
    Excellent news!

These cards look fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    These cards look fantastic!
    Thanks Tim.

I am currently working Werner Voss.
    After reading his bio on a few sites, there seems to be some conflict into how many SE5a's were involved in his last stand. I have read it was 7,8 and 9 SE5a's. This is probably the subject of an old thread but anyone know what the "official" number was.

Also, seem funny that a Fokker was not made for him in the game. Reading about him he was a test pilot for the Fokker and fell in love with it.

I am thinking 8 is the more official number by not quite 100% sure.
    Last edited by Captain Chum; 01-08-2014 at 20:50.

Fantastic idea Kelly. Combining it with perhaps the ace skills on the back that were started elsewhere on the forum would be nice too.

Neil

Not sure if this is the correct section to put this but I thought I would share my latest offering.

I thought It would be nice, especially for a player like me whose do not know all of the pilots that were in WW1 to have a simple reference card.
    The card has a brief description and images of the planes in the game that he flew.
    A picture of the pilot. I think it is cool to actually place a face in the planes of the game.

Anyway just a simple reference card so when you are rummaging through which planes you want to use for a game this will be a nice little aid to guide

See you on the Dark Side......

Since I started running WWi Air games back in the Fight in the Skies/Dawn Patrol Days I have a simple system where we make up pilot names and keep track of their flying record: both good and bad. For example, last game one of our better players was flying a new pilot on his first mission. He was chasing a Gotha V and managed to run into it three times! His wing commander noted this in his records!

Anyway, I would love to have a blank template of your card (please ) so I can make custom cards for each of their pilots using random period photos!

Great idea Lance. there are loads of photos of groups of pilots with some marked as unknown, who could be used without being obvious Aces or famous faces.
    Rob.

That was my thought, Rob. With modern software you can even pick out the upper torso, enhance with photoshop and drop it on the blank template. Same for any text turmned into a graphics file. I was even thinking about the word DECEASED at a 45 degree angle like some sort of official stamp.

Kelly, what size are the cards?

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    Since I started running WWi Air games back in the Fight in the Skies/Dawn Patrol Days I have a simple system where we make up pilot names and keep track of their flying record: both good and bad. For example, last game one of our better players was flying a new pilot on his first mission. He was chasing a Gotha V and managed to run into it three times! His wing commander noted this in his records!

Anyway, I would love to have a blank template of your card (please ) so I can make custom cards for each of their pilots using random period photos!
    Sure...how blank to you want it?

If you want them with national symbols on them I currently have only done the Germans.

That was my thought, Rob. With modern software you can even pick out the upper torso, enhance with photoshop and drop it on the blank template. Same for any text turmned into a graphics file. I was even thinking about the word DECEASED at a 45 degree angle like some sort of official stamp.
    You mean like this? Was a little time consuming for me.....not one of those super tech guys.

Kelly, what size are the cards?
    The two I have done so far roughly 2.5 X 3 inches long. Honestly, if you copy the image you can make it whatever size you want (that is legible).

Finally got Voss done....not 100% sure on the number of planes he fought against in his last stand but went with the info on the Aerodrome site.

Last edited by Captain Chum; 01-23-2014 at 13:20. Reason: fixed typo on card

You guys like the one with the Red Baron's background out or do you like the full picture on the cards?

Exclamation

Finally got Voss done....not 100% sure on the number of planes he fought against in his last stand but went with the info on the Aerodrome site.

From Alex Revell's seminal work on 56 Sqd (this section also in Ospreys "Elite Units--56 Sqd RAF/RFC"):

2 SE's from 60 Sqd, Cpt Hamersley & Cpt Chidlaw-Roberts had been in combat with Voss & had had been severely handled.
    McCudden had observed the fight & with Rhys-Davids attacked the Triplane which saw them coming & turned "in a sort of a flat spin" to meet them. C Flight now joined the fight & Voss was now in the middle of 8 SE 5a's. Voss sent Cronyn's & Muspratt's SE's out of the fight with damage but eventually Rhys-Davids got a good burst & Voss left the fight followed by R-D who dived & attacked again & Voss went down.
    This fight is covered on pages 51 & 52 of the Osprey book.

If the card had no picture just the space for one, a header with nothing on it, no text and the clouds with no mini. That would be perfect. I could easily add those things as needed.

Are you willing?

Sure...how blank to you want it?

If you want them with national symbols on them I currently have only done the Germans.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    From Alex Revell's seminal work on 56 Sqd (this section also in Ospreys "Elite Units--56 Sqd RAF/RFC"):

2 SE's from 60 Sqd, Cpt Hamersley & Cpt Chidlaw-Roberts had been in combat with Voss & had had been severely handled.
    McCudden had observed the fight & with Rhys-Davids attacked the Triplane which saw them coming & turned "in a sort of a flat spin" to meet them. C Flight now joined the fight & Voss was now in the middle of 8 SE 5a's. Voss sent Cronyn's & Muspratt's SE's out of the fight with damage but eventually Rhys-Davids got a good burst & Voss left the fight followed by R-D who dived & attacked again & Voss went down.
    Maybe I should make another one with the "eight" included. I know that after reading several source I would get a different number. Which one is accurate?....or will we ever really know.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    If the card had no picture just the space for one, a header with nothing on it, no text and the clouds with no mini. That would be perfect. I could easily add those things as needed.

Are you willing?
    Is this okay?

No. It's perfect!!!
    Thanks!

Is this okay?

Looks ideal to me.
    Well within the corporate image of Ares products.
    Rob.

Exclamation

G'day Kelly!
    You will soon be able to add another of MvR's aircraft to this card when his Albatross D.II is released in February.

A version with 8 being noted.

Last edited by Captain Chum; 01-23-2014 at 13:21. Reason: fixed typo on card

Got some more done. Let me know if their are any typos or mistakes please.

They look great Kelly. Just the ticket.
    Thanks for your efforts on this.
    Rob.

Updated the Baron's card at the top with the new flyer.

Below is one of the new Bristol F.2B pilots.

Trying to find images for the other Bristol pilots and/lor observers has been impossible. If anyone can lead me in the right direction to find some photos of William Frederick James Harvey, and his observer, Dennis Edward Francis Waight or Arkell and Stagg that would be very helpful.

Very nice additions Kelly.
    Thanks once again.
    Rob.

Very cool, thanks for all the work and time you've put into these!

...but eventually Rhys-Davids got a good burst & Voss left the fight followed by R-D who dived & attacked again & Voss went down...
    If I remember correctly, McCudden believed that the "good burst" by R-D hit Voss (potentially killing him outright), as evidenced by the dramatic change in the triplane's behavior. Always have wondered what would have happened had R-D not got that shot in... does Voss stay until he's shot himself out of ammo? Do any of the other RFC aces tangling with him find themselves beneath his guns?

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Very cool, thanks for all the work and time you've put into these!
    Thanks everyone.
    Have hit some dead ends recently on finding the images and limited info for some fliers but will keep plugging away.

Just looking up the info to make the cards has, in itself, been a great learning experience.

I have uploaded the cards I have done so far (currently in the queue). I decided to do them signally rather than in a group in the larger size.. That way anyone interested in downloading them can change the size (smaller or bigger) of the cards to their liking.

Hopefully have some more done soon.

Thank you, Kelly! Your work is much appreciated!

Just outstanding, great workmanships, ill be printing them off ASAP

Very thoughtful of you Kelly.
    Rob.

Excellent art work Kelly Will be downloading them when I get a new colour cartridge for the printer.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 74
    Last Post: 03-09-2018, 15:51
  2. New Pilot
    By chrisdevorisne in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 06:12
  3. Replies: 2