Ares Games

Thread: FW 190D's become Ta 152H's is it safe?

Default FW 190D's become Ta 152H's is it safe?

Over Thanksgiving Coolstuff had a great sale on new WWII birds so I bolstered my flight but hit the 190 button a few times too many. They lingered on my bench a day too long . . .

If a guy made a 1/200 scale drawing of both birds, that guy would notice how easy a conversion it might be. Wing patterns could be made and new wing covers cut from say .010 styrene . . .

Leading edge spacers and wing tip fillers could be cut from say, .020 styrene and glued to the new wing skins . . .

Too bad the nose cowls can pop off so easily . . .

And what's this? A spacer of 3/16" dowel fits perfectly! Don't say!

Yeppers!

Oh and thick CA will bring the parts back together! Cool!

Hmm. These wing skins just happen to fit perfectly!

More thick CA and the use of clothes pins to clamp it all in place?

OOOOOOO! Lets do it again!

And verify over the scale drawings . . .

Coolio!

If a guy had some filler to make up the gaps . . . if only that guy would go to bed so the elves could get on with the sanding and painting . . .

Your list with fantastic builds and conversions seems endless! Incredible!

Brilliant Dave. Err, when do you get the time to play with all this goodness?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

You are beyond words, David.
    And this might be a conversion I can do
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I wish i had such skills and patience.

Once again over the top.
    What impresses me most in you, dear Dave, it isn't your skill with your hands, is (and I imagine this often) the way your brain is always putting things together, day and night, unstoppable, unyielding, and after you hit something, the continuous courage of putting your body into motion and making dream comes to life. Thank you again for this.

Joaquim.

Amazing, you make it look so easy

What genius.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Once again amazing work

At this rate, he's going to have more of those things than the Luftwaffe ever did....

Astonishing!

Update on the Ta 152 H projekt: First coat of paint

Now sporting stripes and crosses

And then they are done!

Then its into the air!

Now according to the spec sheet, the FW-190D is the same wing, as the FW-190A-8 while the nose of the A-8 is .25" shorter . . . hmmmm . . . don't tempt me! Too late, watching the mail even now . . .

Dave.
    Mrs Kyte has asked me to find out what filler you used, and what grit your Elves go down to when sanding off.
    Rob.

I use green and white stuff plastic model filler. For the sanding down to 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper is standard among the elves . . . have fun! I am patiently awaiting 3 more D models to convert to A-8's for Christmas . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I use green and white stuff plastic model filler. For the sanding down to 600 grit wet or dry sandpaper is standard among the elves . . . have fun! I am patiently awaiting 3 more D models to convert to A-8's for Christmas . . .
    Mrs K sends her thanks Dave.
    Rob.

Mrs K getting into airplane conversion then Rob? Put me down for a dozen 109Gs
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

And photos, Rob! A lot of photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Mrs K getting into airplane conversion then Rob? Put me down for a dozen 109Gs
    I wish.
    However, she is a dab hand at painting Scots Greys horses, and dry brushing on Steam Punk equipment.
    Rob.

Its amazing how you come up with such entertaining texts time and again. A man of action...lucious conversion. I can shadow you on some of the basic concepts which dawn on me as potential convertion methods and are a faint glimmer in my minds eye...to my joy...but during the next week or month long contemplation, I will invariably stumble on a post by Mr.Clipper who will have done it already with bells on. I like it!! Keep em coming..

David; what is the "CA" you used for adhesive?
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

CA is short for cyanoacrylate-I use thick, medium and thin viscosity in large quantities . . . aka super glues

Now according to the spec sheet, the FW-190D is the same wing, as the FW-190A-8 while the nose of the A-8 is .25" shorter . . . hmmmm . . . don't tempt me! Too late, watching the mail even now . . .
    The Doras also added 1' 7.5" to the fuselage in front of the tail, which comes to 1/16th inch. The 3D drawings I've looked at show a slight, but noticeable difference.
    I will see how it looks on yours, though. given a lack of other options, other than AIR200.

CA is short for cyanoacrylate-I use thick, medium and thin viscosity in large quantities . . . aka super glues
    Oh, gottcha. Thick of thin for this application?
    Karl

I am not suprised by the projects you do David but am still very impressed by the results you produce

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    The Doras also added 1' 7.5" to the fuselage in front of the tail, which comes to 1/16th inch. The 3D drawings I've looked at show a slight, but noticeable difference.
    I will see how it looks on yours, though. given a lack of other options, other than AIR200.

> Yes the length is tricky there, I can do a chop but the fuselage there is metal : ( The fuse was lengthened on the later B's -D's according to my data base files, so it is not too apparent.

Oh, gottcha. Thick of thin for this application?
    Karl
    > I use the thick a lot since it fills gaps and if you use the accelerator you can get it to gel into fairings and scoops which can be carved and shape along the way. The this is useful to stiffen and fill the wood grain prior to painting - if you use nylon brushes and water base paint make sure it has fully cured or it will wick into your brush and either melt it or stiffen the bristles!

Fantastic conversion jobs, you can certainly think outside the box.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I am dumbfounded by your ability. You have some very special talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Fantastic conversion jobs, you can certainly think outside the box.
    Box? What box?

Oh wow - this could tempt me into WW2 - one of my favourite aeroplanes. I have one of these in my 'one of these days' pile of unbuilt kits:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/ki...mi_32002.shtml

Well done clipper!!! (again)

Similar Missions

1. Back safe from the front
    By Kahlerclan in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 10:48