Ares Games
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hangar Tray Update

Thank you for the update, Herr Oberst. With my ever-expanding collection, I need these!

I'm still waiting for the second sample with the denser bottom to arrive. These are cut on their waterjet, and they had some big projects to run before my samples could go on. If I still don't like the way this new bottom foam works out, I've already got an alternative lined up that I know I like. Then it's just a matter of working out if the cutting company is going to assemble them, or if I'll do it here locally.

I'll pass along more info as I get it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I'm still waiting for the second sample with the denser bottom to arrive. These are cut on their waterjet, and they had some big projects to run before my samples could go on. If I still don't like the way this new bottom foam works out, I've already got an alternative lined up that I know I like. Then it's just a matter of working out if the cutting company is going to assemble them, or if I'll do it here locally.

I'll pass along more info as I get it.

Keith, on your old trays, did you do a series 5? I "inherited" a set of your trays for the first four series, but wasn't sure if you produced a series 5 set. I am watching closely what you do with these new ones, as I need to consolidate some space and going to foams is the way to do it! I have too many boxes!

There was no Series 5 in the old Hangars, so you are not missing anything from them. It's looking more and more like I'll be going away from the Series release style Hangars and to a more generic multi fit system.

Will the people (like me) who have ordered and prepaid for series 5 and 6 trays awhile ago still get them?

Quote Originally Posted by tuladin View Post
    Will the people (like me) who have ordered and prepaid for series 5 and 6 trays awhile ago still get them?
    Yes! Everyone that has trays on order will still get them. The layout is going to be different as you have read in this thread. Due to production issues I've had to drop the plane specific cutouts and go to a more generic cutout. There will be two different cutouts for the scouts and two for the two-seaters. The new trays will be made from the really nice foam I talked about at the beginning of this thread.

And it just so happen, things are getting closer....

Love the look of these, Keith... finally my Albatros and Nieuports will have a home! And my Halberstadts, and Fokkers, and (coming soon) Hannovers, and 1 1/2 Strutters...

Yes! Everyone that has trays on order will still get them. The layout is going to be different as you have read in this thread. Due to production issues I've had to drop the plane specific cutouts and go to a more generic cutout. There will be two different cutouts for the scouts and two for the two-seaters. The new trays will be made from the really nice foam I talked about at the beginning of this thread.

And it just so happen, things are getting closer....

They look amazing!!! Far better than anything out there on the market.

Will trays for WGS be available around the same time as the WGF ones?

Also are there any planes to make heavy fighters and medium/heavy bomber trays for Beaus, 110s, B25s, He111s, Lancs and B17s?

And will the layout be roughly the same in each in WGS as it is WGF? 6 to a tray?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm strictly WW2 minis and in the minority.

Okay guys, I'm getting close to sending in the first production run of these and I need a little feed back from all of you.

Currently there is a Scout and Large Scout cutout, and a Two Seater and Large Two Seater cutout. Would you prefer that each tray contain 6 of the same size, or 3 and 3? Do to logistic reasons, I will not be mixing Scout and Two Seater cutouts on the same tray.

My personal preference is to have each tray hold only a single size. My reasoning is that as they do reprints, we are going to end up with at least 6 of each type of plane (we already have this for Series 1 and 2 on the WGF side).

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    They look amazing!!! Far better than anything out there on the market.

Will trays for WGS be available around the same time as the WGF ones?

Also are there any planes to make heavy fighters and medium/heavy bomber trays for Beaus, 110s, B25s, He111s, Lancs and B17s?

And will the layout be roughly the same in each in WGS as it is WGF? 6 to a tray?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm strictly WW2 minis and in the minority.
    WGS trays will come out around the same time. The catch here is that I will be taking pre-orders for them first and as long as demand is good enough, I'll produce them. This WGS line will be harder to work out with so many different plane sizes/shapes. The Heavies and Tac bombers are going to be PITAs. lol

Okay guys, I'm getting close to sending in the first production run of these and I need a little feed back from all of you.

Currently there is a Scout and Large Scout cutout, and a Two Seater and Large Two Seater cutout. Would you prefer that each tray contain 6 of the same size, or 3 and 3? Do to logistic reasons, I will not be mixing Scout and Two Seater cutouts on the same tray.

My personal preference is to have each tray hold only a single size. My reasoning is that as they do reprints, we are going to end up with at least 6 of each type of plane (we already have this for Series 1 and 2 on the WGF side).
    I agree. I've got some of both (single-size and mixed) now, and prefer the all-one-type/size.

WGS trays will come out around the same time. The catch here is that I will be taking pre-orders for them first and as long as demand is good enough, I'll produce them. This WGS line will be harder to work out with so many different plane sizes/shapes. The Heavies and Tac bombers are going to be PITAs. lol
    Pre-orders for WGS are good... I'll need a few.

Once you've started production, do you have any expectations/estimates concerning turnaround time (from order placement to fulfillment)?

What is the cost for one of these hangars? The store says nothing is available, so there is not information. That will greatly help me on "preorders".

Great news!!

Sorry but what does PITA mean?

Great news!!

Sorry but what does PITA mean?
    Answered privately, to shield tender ears
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Keith;
    My preference for WGF would be single size trays.
    I agree the WGS trays will be more difficult, but are much needed also.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Answered privately, to shield tender ears
    Karl
    HAHAHAHA that's awesome

I also vote for single-size trays (and I am really looking forward to both WGF and WGS). Thanks Keith!

Are the custom trays still going to be available?

Like you said WGS has alot more variety in aircraft shapes. For instance I only plan on having one Beaufighter and one 110 and the rest of the tray filled up with fighters...

Just wondering where the cards and stands will go? Is there another slot for these or will these need storing separately? My collection has basiocally got out of hand and need a compact solution for all elements of the miniatures.

Im pretty sure there was mention of the bases, stands and decks all fitting in the same tray as the planes in a previous post.

I could be wrong but people were asking everything go in the same tray.

Unless Keith changes the design, the trays will have a slot for 6 planes (less for big bombers), and another slot for each plane's cards and stand.
    I store all the pegs in a separate container.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    ...My collection has basiocally got out of hand and need a compact solution for all elements of the miniatures...
    Ah... poor lad. You've been afflicted with the same condition as suffered by many of us! My humblest condolences, sir, but welcome to the club!

Unless Keith changes the design, the trays will have a slot for 6 planes (less for big bombers), and another slot for each plane's cards and stand.
    I store all the pegs in a separate container.
    Karl
    The current (or late?) Aerodrome trays have spots for six scouts and their associated decks & stands, three two-holers and three scouts with attendant decks & stands, or two bombers and their stands/bases/decks (or two balloons with no stands/bases). The stands are a little difficult to get out of the trays (beveled edge, snug fit), so I place the upside down (creating a little bowl-shape), with four pegs nestling in the now-shallow basin, and then top it off with the deck. Works pretty well, and guarantees that I've got enough altitude stands regardless of the number of kites I bring.

Not sure if Keith is planning on the same dimensions, but there should be plenty of room for decks unless he drastically changes layout.

delos

Hi Oberst Hajj:

Any shipping cost estimation for european pilots?

Thanks and good job by the way, they look great.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Pre-orders for WGS are good... I'll need a few.

Once you've started production, do you have any expectations/estimates concerning turnaround time (from order placement to fulfillment)?
    I will not know that until I send the acutal order in as it depends on what the produce queue looks like at the factory. My thoughts right now are to run pre-orders for a week and then place the order. That should give everyone some time to get funds together/moved around, but not so long as everyone is waiting around for pre-orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Resident View Post
    What is the cost for one of these hangars? The store says nothing is available, so there is not information. That will greatly help me on "preorders".
    I've not nailed that down just yet. The quotes I got were from a while ago and it will also depend on the number of trays I order. I expect them to be some where in the $10-$13 range for scouts/fighters and two seater trays. Bombers will be more since they need deeper foam.

Are the custom trays still going to be available?

Like you said WGS has alot more variety in aircraft shapes. For instance I only plan on having one Beaufighter and one 110 and the rest of the tray filled up with fighters...
    Purely custom trays could still be an option, but expect the price to reflect the custom nature. My production trays will be one tray of all the same size/type of cutouts.

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Just wondering where the cards and stands will go? Is there another slot for these or will these need storing separately? My collection has basiocally got out of hand and need a compact solution for all elements of the miniatures.
    The cards and stands will be stored on the same tray as the minis. There will also be room to store the pegs in with the crads/stands as well if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    The stands are a little difficult to get out of the trays (beveled edge, snug fit)....
    My trays have always had a "finger hole" at the top of the card/stand cutout, so they are very easy to get your items out of. These new trays will keep with this tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by delos View Post
    Any shipping cost estimation for european pilots?
    Not at this time as I don't have productions sampes to get weights from. They will be very light, but since they are kind of large, they will need a large box.

Thanks for the update Keith.

I won't be able to purchase any trays until end of May but I'm still definitely keen.

Just a few more questions.

Firstly how will the medium/heavy bombers decks, bases and stands be stored? In the same tray or won't they fit?

Secondly are you still considering stocking bag options? Because I would like to buy a bag that the trays fit and also the shipping wouldn't change much as the trays can just go inside the bag.

Sam

I'm still working on a bag option. The ones I used to sell are no longer being made (at least, not regularly enough to get any when needed). I will probably bring in some of the Battle Foam Sword bags.

I've done some more tweaking on the designs and managed to fit the current range of both WGF and WGS miniatures into 9 different trays plus my old Grand Crew tray to hold the damage decks, rulers, etc. Below is what each tray will look like along with a list of the miniatures that will fit into that tray.

Two things to note: First, the colors of the cut out just represent the four colors I will offer the “bottom” foam in. When I add this product to my site, you will be able to select whichever color you want on any of the trays you order. For example, you could have four of the Scout/Fighter trays, each with a different bottom color. Secondly, all of the trays measure 13x7.5 inches and 1 inch deep. The only exception at this time is the Caproni and Dual Heavy trays. Those two are 1.5 inches deep.

Scout/Fighter Tray

WGF

SPAD XIII
    Sopwith Camel
    Fokker Dr.I
    Morane-Saulnier
    Hanriot HD.1
    Sopwith Triplane
    Siemens-Schuckert D.III
    SPAD VII
    Snipe
    Fokker E.V
    Nieuport 17/16
    Nieuport 28
    Bristol F2B Fighter
    Halberstadt CL.II
    Macchi M5
    Hannover CLIIIA
    SE5a
    Nieuport 16 (w/rockets)

WGS

P-40
    Yak-1
    Ki-61-I
    Re.2001
    Spitfire Mk. IX
    Gladiator
    Falco
    Spitfire Mk. III
    Hellcat
    Zero
    Bf 109
    Hurricane
    Dewoitine

Large Scout/Fighter Tray

WGF

Albatros D.Va
    Fokker E.III
    Halberstadt D.III
    Airco DH.2
    Aviatik D.I
    Albatros D.II
    Fokker D.VII
    Alb D.III
    Pfalz D.III

WGS

FW-190
    P-51D
    KI-84 Hayate

2 Seater/Heavy Fighter Tray

WGF

Roland
    UFAG

WGS

Bf.110
    Stuka
    Val

Large 2 Seater Tray

WGF

DH4
    Rumpler
    BR14
    RE8

WGS

Bristol Beaufighter

Caproni Tray

Gotha Tray

B-25 Tray

He 111 Tray

Dual Heavy Tray (fit's both the B-17s and the Lancastors)

Ground Crew Tray

The final designs were sent to the factory on Monday and I'm waiting to get a quote and a production sample of each of the trays back. Once that happens, I can start taking pre-orders.

For those of you that placed orders for the old trays that I was never able to fill, you will be getting an email from me in the next week or so about how the switch to the new style trays is going to effect you. As that notice will contain financial information, I do not want to discuss it here on the open forum for everyone's privacy.

I know what to ask for my birthday in March!!!! I forsee some hangars coming to me!!!!

Good news. Looking forward to that email.

Quick question please ... is there a specific model of the Battle Foam Bags that will fit these trays?

What are players thinking of using to hold the trays in if not the Battle Foam bags?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

The Battlefoam bag Keith refers to is the Sword Bag. It is part of their economy line of bags. The original Hanger bags were made by Outrider Hobbies and they were nicer but the vendor has had quite a few problems in recent years and probably not trustworthy with your money. The Sword Bag is still a nice bag. It will hold 10.5 inches of foams trays. I believe Keith's trays are 1" and 1.5" so the bag should be able to hold up to 10 trays stacked. I have both bags so I can attest to the quality. Army Transport also has a bag that can hold trays side by side but their bags are not even in the same league as the first two mentioned. This bag is basically an expensive collapsible lunch cooler, at least that is what I have turned it into. I have also purchased Battlefoams Wings of glory trays but I have not used them. I like Keith's tray much better because they have the card slots. I will patiently wait for Keith's trays when they become available.

Just need to know when I can pre-order!

Time to update the inventory, so I can know what to order
    Karl

There will be some mixed trays to hold complete series divided in two faction, like old ones? or just for one type of planes?

Quote Originally Posted by colby_bimore View Post
    Quick question please ... is there a specific model of the Battle Foam Bags that will fit these trays?

What are players thinking of using to hold the trays in if not the Battle Foam bags?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    toothless9 did a good job in covering the basics. There are actually quite a few bag systems out there that will fit these trays. Portable Warfare is another one. I would say their bags are about the same quality of as Army Transport bags... just different sizes and colors. The main thing to look for is that bag will hold a 13x7.5 inch tray. Some bags are designed to fit two side by side, so you end up with two stacks of trays in the bag.

Time to update the inventory, so I can know what to order
    Karl
    The thought of that even makes me cringe See you next year when you finish up that task!!

Quote Originally Posted by CH_Brun View Post
    There will be some mixed trays to hold complete series divided in two faction, like old ones? or just for one type of planes?
    Sorry, the two old styles will no longer be offered. It is just not logistically and financially possible. Under that system, I was looking at around 50 different tray designs just to cover the current WGF and WGS releases. The only way to get these types of trays would be if I did offer to do full on custom trays.

Thank you Dom and Keith for the updates on the bags.

The Portable Warfare ones look nice, I might give them a try this time.

I was looking at the Portable Warfare bags but I bought the Battle Foam Sword when it was on sale last Fourth of July and was so impressed that I decided not to try the Portable. If it's similar to Army Transport then I'll pass. You have me spoiled on the original Hanger that any bag I buy must be close to the Hanger! The Sword comes close.

Dom,

What's the concern about Army Transport bags (and by extension the Portable Warfare bags)?

For the money, I feel the "original Hanger" and the Sword bags are better made products. I just looked at the Sabol design webpage and I see they are advertising that their bags are now made in the USA. I bought their Motorpool last year and was not impressed with the quality. That bag was also made in China so maybe the quality will improve now that they are made in America. The Motorpool will hold the Aerodrome trays side by side but it unzips only at the top. It's much nicer if the zipper also unzips down the front to help with tray removal. This bag should hold about twelve trays but you have to reach down to get to the bottom trays. Not a big deal at first but if you access your bag a lot, you will realize why a front zip bag is so much nicer. I still use the Army bag but not with foam trays, I just put my SOG ships in their boxes into the bag. I'm thinking of reinforcing the sides with plastic plates to prevent any accidental crushing. I don't have any Portable Warfare bags but since Keith said they were similar to the Army Transport, I will choose to pass on this bag. I have my ideas on what I consider to be a quality bag and I have spent a fair amount of money on "little toy airplanes" so I look for the best I can afford to protect my investment. If Battlefoam would make a bag in their premium line that would fit Keith's trays, then I would buy that bag but for now, the Sword bag in their economy line is still an excellent choice. Hopefully, someone will give their opinion on the Portable Warfare bag that they actually own.
    Last edited by Toothless9; 01-30-2015 at 11:52. Reason: Grammar

I've just been looking into the sword bags up against other various bags and the one I personally think is best bang for buck is the PACK 432. Without foam its only about NZ$20 more than the empty sword but you get plastic walls and a few more pockets.

The only problem is the size, the 432 is listed as being 17" x 9". Are there many options in the 13x7.5 inches range? Or maybe there's a chance we could get slightly bigger and costlier trays from you Keith if possible?

Sword looks good but I would really prefer hard sides.

The Pack 432 is a very nice bag as with all their premium line of bags. In the horizontal configuration the tray size is 15.5x8 so Keith's tray would be loose inside the bag. Battlefoam made trays for Wings of Glory airplanes but in the flat configuration . I bought the trays but didn't use them because I like the maneuver cards to be stored with each aircraft. I own this bag so I have tried it. Not a waste for me though because it holds my X-wing minis. I also have the pack 216. I might have gone overboard trying and buying bags.

The main reason I like the Portable Warfare bag is, the zipper opens the top and front of the bag for easy access.

I am buying both a Portable Warfare and word bag to do a comparison (I already have an Army Transport Mark II to compare as well). I'll post the comparison here on the site and will offer the bag I feel is the best for sale via the AA store. The Sword bag I know I can get as a retailer, the PW bag I'll have to check on if it wins out.

delos

will there be "only planes" trays?

Quote Originally Posted by delos View Post
    will there be "only planes" trays?
    Are you referring to balloons, accessories or ships?

I am buying both a Portable Warfare and Shield bag to do a comparison (I already have an Army Transport Mark II to compare as well). I'll post the comparison here on the site and will offer the bag I feel is the best for sale via the AA store. The Shield bag I know I can get as a retailer, the PW bag I'll have to check on if it wins out.
    Are you changing the size of your trays, the Shield bag uses a larger foam tray (14.25 x 10.25). I hope the Portable Warfare turns out to be a good bag, I do like the specs but I'll let someone else do the QC.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Hanger tray size?
    By 101radioman in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 18:30
  2. KR New Bomber Tray a Review
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 10:21
  3. Wanted – Box and plastic tray for SPAD
    By Timmo UK in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds