Ares Games
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hangar Tray Update

I have over a dozen Portable Warfare bags and swear by them. You can carry them one at a time or piggy-back them. I use them for WoG, SoG, Flames of War and Bolt action. Never had a problem with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    I have over a dozen Portable Warfare bags and swear by them. You can carry them one at a time or piggy-back them. I use them for WoG, SoG, Flames of War and Bolt action. Never had a problem with any of them.
    Ed, your assessment is good enough for me. Just ordered the Portable Warfare bag from MM. They must have just got a shipment because all colors are now available. Ordered the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by delos View Post
    will there be "only planes" trays?
    If you are talking about trays that do not have the spots for the cards, no. Unless I offer them as fully custom trays.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
    Are you changing the size of your trays, the Shield bag uses a larger foam tray (14.25 x 10.25). I hope the Portable Warfare turns out to be a good bag, I do like the specs but I'll let someone else do the QC.
    Sorry about that, I meant the Sword bag

I found this review of the Portable Warfare bag:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jCPhpaJBBI
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I found this review of the Portable Warfare bag:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jCPhpaJBBI
    Karl
    Thanks for the demo Karl.

Sorry to get off subject but, does anyone know why the Anchorage is down?

Smile

Large Scout/Fighter Tray

WGF

Albatros D.Va
    Fokker E.III
    Halberstadt D.III
    Airco DH.4
    Aviatik D.I
    Albatros D.II
    Fokker D.VII
    Alb D.III
    Pfalz D.III

WGS

FW-190
    P-51D
    KI-84 Hayate

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I assume you mean the DH.2 - the DH.4 is a very large two-seater.

Yes, I did. Thanks for catching that. I've update that post.

delos

any news?

LOOP

Will say a Camel fit into a 'large fighter'-hole without jumping around?

LOOP

And the same question but for a Roland CII into a 'large 2-seater'-hole?

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Will say a Camel fit into a 'large fighter'-hole without jumping around?
    Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    And the same question but for a Roland CII into a 'large 2-seater'-hole?
    Yes to both of these. They will "bounce" around more then if they were in the smaller sizes, but no damage would come to the minis. I put my smaller minis in the big cutouts, cover the top of the tray and shook the crap out of it...way harder then would ever happen in real life expect maybe in a rollover car crash. lol The minis were just fine and one of the ones I used was my rigged Cpt. Harry S. Gwinne Nieuport 17:

If that thing can survive bouncing around in the cutout, anything should be able too!

Okay, got some IMPORTANT updates for your guys, so please read and answer...

I'm still waiting on the samples to show so that I can verify that everything fits. I made test trays with my laser, but since it used heat to cut the foam, there is a little "melt" factor in them. The factory making the production trays uses a waterjet to cut them, so there is no "melt" factor in them. This is why I have to have the samples from the factory before placing the production run. As soon as those come in, I'll test them, photograph them and add them to the AA site for people to pre-order. I'll run pre-orders for about a week and then I'll send in the production run to the factory. Due to run quantity limitations, if a type of tray sales out, it could be a while before more are made... I can't just order up 20 of this or that tray whenever I need them So I highly recommend taking advantage of the pre-order option.

I got the quotes back for both foams and the from the factory to cut them. My earlier price estimates look like they are in the right range. Here is what the pricing is going to be on the new trays:

1" Trays (fits everything but the Caproni, B-17 and Lancastor minis): $11.99
    1.5" Trays (fits the Caproni, B-17 and Lancastor minis): $14.99

Finally, how many of you think you would want the yellow or black bottom foam option? I'm asking because I have to order quite a few of them to get the pricing that we need. If no one really wants them, I'd rather not sink the capital into them. However, if someone really does want them, say for making WGS and WGF standout from each other, or for their bomber trays, I am okay with having them on hand to make the trays for you.

LOOP

Red and blue would work fine for me

Any color works for me, Keith.
    I'll do a quick box count, so I know how many I need.
    Volume discount for over 20 trays, right
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Any color works for me, Keith.
    I'll do a quick box count, so I know how many I need.
    Volume discount for over 20 trays, right
    Karl
    Here's hoping!

LOOP

Did a quick count yesterday. Will probably need something like 14,15 .....18... pluss post and package.... to sweden...
    I like the discount idea.

I'd love to give you guys a discount, but the margins on these are super tight already That tends to happen when you have multiple suppliers and multiple labor steps in a single product. Now, if you guys want to order say, 100 trays each, then I might be able to work a volume deal with the suppliers! lol

Also, this weekend I'll be working on the bag review. I have the BF Sword bag, the Portable Warfare bag and the Army Transport MkII. I can tell you guys that I personally like the Sword bag much better and it is what I will be offering via the AA store.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I'd love to give you guys a discount, but the margins on these are super tight already
    I think you will sell a few even without a discount

And for those that are a little OCD like me, I'll have this as an upgrade option:

Very cool. Need to start counting

Also, this weekend I'll be working on the bag review. I have the BF Sword bag, the Portable Warfare bag and the Army Transport MkII. I can tell you guys that I personally like the Sword bag much better and it is what I will be offering via the AA store.
    The only thing I don't like about the sword bag is the lack of plastic liners; I really like the supported sides of the ones you sold before.
    Karl

Yeah, I really liked the Outrider bags as well Too bad Bryan could not keep them in production... but even then I don't know if would have continued to carry them. There as absolutely no margin on them.

I still kick around the idea of producing my own line of bags (I've got several designs and some really neat, never before seen options for them), but the start up costs are huge

I use the BF P.A.C.K. 720 bag and I really love it! Enough space, quality, toughness.... The only problem is... the bag is full now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CH_Brun View Post
    I use the BF P.A.C.K. 720 bag and I really love it! Enough space, quality, toughness.... The only problem is... the bag is full now!!!!
    That and it does not fit the Hangar Trays

That and it does not fit the Hangar Trays
    Sorry Keith! it fits perfectly!

Name:  IMG_0407.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  292.7 KBName:  IMG_0408.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  179.4 KBName:  IMG_0409.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  162.6 KBName:  IMG_0410.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  203.3 KB

I just need more trays....... and a new bag

Wait a minute, wait a minute. I thought the BF large trays were 15x12. If you double up the Hangar Trays, they come out to be 15x13. Is there an extra inch inside their bags in that direction?

the size of the bag is more 15 x 12.5..... the trays fits tight, but it's ok no difficulty to close it

Wow this is great. I think I'm gonna go with the 720 bag and Keith's trays.

I just checked and the dimensions for 720 molle pack are 18x14x14 not 15x12.5

Herr Oberst, how do these stack up compared to original factory packaging for cubic inches required? All of my Panera catering boxes are starting to get rather bulky...

Okay, looks like this could be some good news. The BF site lists the trays as:

Tray Size – Battle Foam Large Foam Trays ((15.5W x 12L") (394W x 305L mm))
    That should .5" to wide on the width (with two trays side by side) and 1" to short for the length. But, with the photos CH_Burn showed above, it looks like it will still work. His is an older version of it, so I'm going to order in one of the new Molle versions (and a 432) and see just how well the new Hangar trays fit (remember, they are much more rigid then the old style CH_Burn is using). I hope to have it here by next Friday, so my review will wait until then.

Anyone that is thinking about getting a BF bag, I might want to hold off until they are on the AA store

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Herr Oberst, how do these stack up compared to original factory packaging for cubic inches required? All of my Panera catering boxes are starting to get rather bulky...
    Six scout sized minis take up 172 cubic inches in the factory packaging. A Hangar tray of six minis takes up 121.87 cubic inches. So the Hangar Trays give you about 30% space savings. No to mention the trays are more protective and easier to get your minis in and out of.

Does that help?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Keith!

I continue to make myself look more stupid with every post

I looked at the outside dimensions not the tray dimensions. Still an interesting development here

Keith,

With the dual heavy tray, is there anyway 2 minis could fit into one tray? Because the tray is 1.5 deep could 2 bases, 2 decks and 2 stands fit into one pocket?

It just feels like a lot room taken up for 1 mini.

Sam.

Six scout sized minis take up 172 cubic inches in the factory packaging. A Hangar tray of six minis takes up 121.87 cubic inches. So the Hangar Trays give you about 30% space savings. No to mention the trays are more protective and easier to get your minis in and out of.

Does that help?
    It does, some. If we lowball with Scout boxes across the board, for WGF... 19 Series 1 singles, 21 Series 2, 12 Series 3, 12 Series 4, 12 Series 5, 12 Series 6, 12 Series 7 = 96 singles. 96/6=16 trays, or 1950 cubes, as opposed to boxes' 2752.
    Not counting RDS/DP, BB, Bombers.

WWII line... assuming you can fit the WW2's in the same way... 12 Series 1, 12 Series 2, 8 Series 3, 12 Series 4, 12 Series 5 = 56 singles. 56/6=10 trays, or 1219 cubes to boxes' 1605.
    Not counting DS, WGS Starter, Med Bombers or Hvy Bombers.

Note, larger box items not counted to simplify math.

Next questions: Do you have trays planned or designed for the balloons? Obviously they'd be thicker... And how many do I need to order of each tray to store a One Of Everything collection including the known forthcoming sets?

Once that's answered, signing up for a pre-order if still possible is just a matter of jiggering the budget numbers and figuring out how...

Quote Originally Posted by Canestri10 View Post
    Keith,

With the dual heavy tray, is there anyway 2 minis could fit into one tray? Because the tray is 1.5 deep could 2 bases, 2 decks and 2 stands fit into one pocket?

It just feels like a lot room taken up for 1 mini.

Sam.
    Nope, can only fit one mini per tray for these big boys.

It does, some. If we lowball with Scout boxes across the board, for WGF... 19 Series 1 singles, 21 Series 2, 12 Series 3, 12 Series 4, 12 Series 5, 12 Series 6, 12 Series 7 = 96 singles. 96/6=16 trays, or 1950 cubes, as opposed to boxes' 2752.
    Not counting RDS/DP, BB, Bombers.

WWII line... assuming you can fit the WW2's in the same way... 12 Series 1, 12 Series 2, 8 Series 3, 12 Series 4, 12 Series 5 = 56 singles. 56/6=10 trays, or 1219 cubes to boxes' 1605.
    Not counting DS, WGS Starter, Med Bombers or Hvy Bombers.

Note, larger box items not counted to simplify math.

Next questions: Do you have trays planned or designed for the balloons? Obviously they'd be thicker... And how many do I need to order of each tray to store a One Of Everything collection including the known forthcoming sets?

Once that's answered, signing up for a pre-order if still possible is just a matter of jiggering the budget numbers and figuring out how...
    Your space savings will be even great if you factor in the larger two seater boxes. While their boxes increase in size, you can still fit 6 of them on a single 1" tray.

Balloon trays are not going to be produced at this time as I do not think there is enough demand for them without the balloons actually being available right now. You guys should feel free to change my mind about that. I would also expect those trays to be in the $18~$19 range since they have to be 3" thick.

As to the One Of Everything collection, I've not figured that out. It should be pretty simple using the complete list in the files section. I might get around to figuring that out when time permits, but it's not even on the counter top next to the stove... let alone on the back burner Too many other products and projects to work on!

BTW, check your email--something I tried to send early yesterday w/an idea that Rob at Ares seemed open to that we'd have to partner up on. Also have a design for a SGN accessory concept if you're game...

If you can get a list of specifically what tray's needed for each sculpt (or already have one; I'm a little shaky on "small scout vs large scout" and on the WWII birds' breakdown similarly), I'll work up the "except Balloon Busters" Completionist Package manifest for you.

N/M, found the "what goes where".

WGF
    Series 1 - 3 Sm Scout (6 SPAD XIII = 1, 6 Camel = 1, 6 Dr.I = 1), 1 Lg Scout (6 D.Va = 1)
    Series 2 - 1 Sm Scout (5 Snipe = 1), 1 Lg Scout (5 D.VII = 1), 1 Sm Tand (5 Rol. C.II = 1), 1 Lg Tand (6 DH.4 = 1)
    Series 3 - 1 Sm Scout (3 N.17 = 1/2), 1 Lg Scout (3 Alb. D.III = 1/2), 1 Sm Tand (3 UFAG = 1/2), 1 Lg Tand (3 RE8 = 1/2)
    Series 4 - 1-2 Sm Scout (3 Pfalz D.III = 1/2, 3 SE5a = 1/2), 1-2 Lg Tand (3 Br.14 = 1/2, 3 C.IVc = 1/2)
    Series 5 - 1 Sm Scout (3 M-S N = 1/2), 2-3 Lg Scout (3 E.III = 1/2, 3 DH.2 = 1/2, 3 Halb. D.III = 1/2)
    Series 6 - 2-3 Sm Scout (3 HD.1 = 1/2, 3 Tripe = 1/2, 3 SSW D.III = 1/2), 1 Lg Scout (3 Avia. D.I = 1/2)
    Series 7 - 2-3 Sm Scout (3 S.VII = 1/2, 3 F2B = 1/2, 3 CL.II = 1/2), 1 Lg Scout (3 Alb D.II = 1/2)
    Series 8 - 2-4 Sm Scout (3 N.28 = 1/2, 3 Fok. E.V = 1/2, 3 Macchi M.5 = 1/2, 3 CL.IIIa = 1/2)
    Series 9 unsorted - Nieuport 11 (EN scout), Phoenix D.I (CP scout), Sop. 1-1/2-Strutter (EN tandem), Alb. C.III (CP tandem)
    Bombers 1 - 2 Caproni (4 Caproni = 2), 1 Gotha (2 Gotha = 1)
    Not figured: 2x N.16 (Sm Scout), 2x Caquot/Ae800, damage/target/aces decks (Ground Crew Trays), series 3+ reprints
    Totals: 13-18 Sm Scout, 7-8 Lg Scout, 2 Sm Tand, 3-4 Lg Tand, 2 Caproni, 1 Gotha

I'll have to review box and booster contents to figure out repacking the RDS and RAP. Looks like the Pack 720 will take up to 18 trays and this means up to 34 trays to divide between packs, so how would we break these logically into an Early War and Late War "game pack"?

WGS
    Series 1 - 4 Sm Scout (4 Early Spitfire = 1, 4 Zero = 1, 4 Early Bf109 = 1, 4 Wildcat = 1)
    Series 2 - 1-2 Sm Scout (3 Hurri = 1/2, 3 D520 = 1/2), 1-2 Sm Tand (3 Stuka = 1/2, 3 Val = 1/2)
    Series 3 - 2-4 Sm Scout (3 P-40 = 1/2, 3 Yak = 1/2, 3 Tony = 1/2, 3 Re2001 = 1/2)
    Series 4 - 1-2 Sm Scout (3 Glad = 1/2, 3 Cr42 = 1/2), 1 Sm Tand (3 Bf110 = 1/2), 1 Lg Tand (3 Beau = 1/2)
    Series 5 - 1 Sm Scout (3 Spit IX = 1/2), 2-3 Lg Scout (3 Fw190 = 1/2, 3 P-51D = 1/2, 3 Ki84 = 1/2)
    Med Bombers - 1 B-25 (2 B-25 = 1), 1 He111 (2 He111 = 1)
    Hvy Bombers - 4 Hvy (2 B-17 = 2, 2 Lanc = 2)
    Not figured: Series 6 and beyond, reprints
    Totals: 9-13 Sm Scout, 2-3 Lg Scout, 2-3 Sm Tand, 1 Lg Tand, 1 B-25, 1 He111, 4 Heavy
    QUESTIONS: As with WWI, any suggestions for logical splits by time or theater? Looks like 26 trays here.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 03-02-2015 at 09:55.

I'll check my emails. There is a list already in this thread... some where about the post with all the colored design mock ups.

Thanks--found your list, some questions in my last post, and Completionist List built and posted for you.

QUESTION: Is the Nieuport 17 a Small or Large Scout? Didn't see it listed. Also, have you sorted out Series 9? I'll have to review box and booster contents to figure out repacking the RDS and RAP. Looks like the Pack 720 will take up to 18 trays and this means up to 34 trays to divide between packs, so how would we break these logically into an Early War and Late War "game pack"?
    The Ni17 is definitely a small scout type of plane. I'll go back and add it to the list. Nothing worked up on Series 9 yet as I need minis in hand to see what will fit in the current cutouts and what will not. If someone with some time wanted to give me a list of their dimensions and and dimensions from planes we already have, I could get a pretty good idea.

Not really given much thought yet as to how I would break my planes into multiple bags.

QUESTIONS: As with WWI, any suggestions for logical splits by time or theater? Looks like 26 trays here.
    My WGS collection would easily fit into a single bag at this point. I'm not sure if there is enough minis released yet to really fill up enough trays for two bags by Theater yet.

Once you get past 18 trays, if you're going to store In Bag it does mean a second bag though...

Once you get past 18 trays, if you're going to store In Bag it does mean a second bag though...
    I've actually thought of using storage boxes for most of the collection, putting what I need for the trip in the bag. When you get as many as I have, storage bags become less of an ideal solution for the entire collection.
    Karl

Karl, I'm also one of those "likes to have entire horde accessible for unplanned force-structure changes" sorts--you know that Suitcase Guy who has EVERYTHING available to him at the table? That's me... LOL (Seriously, you shoulda seen the LOOKS I used to get in GenCon's War at Sea areas when I dragged in a duffel big enough to use as a body-bag containing thousands of minis.)

I can be like that too, but after a few Origins toting 2 double and 1 single bags (and a couple of shoe boxes), I realize the limit of my transport capabilities.
    Karl

That's what folding carts and collapsible wagons are for, too... besides, when your Everyday Carry load is a 40# laptop case, a 20# "go bag" with tools, first aid kit and other gear, and a 3# steel kidney-stone strapped to your hip you get used to it. LOL

I have to split my WGF collection in to two bags as well. Right now the "extras" bag has the balloons, bombers and the E.IIIs and DH2s. This is simply because I do not use them as much. I'm heavy on Dr.I's, D.Va's and Camels and like to always have all of them with me.

With the new trays holding different combinations of all the minis, I might be inclined to pair up 3 sets of planes in a single tray. For example, MvR and Brown might be in a tray with LvR and another Jasta 11 custom painted Dr.I. Sitting opposite of them in the same tray would be Brown and 2 other Camels. This would kind of stick to the matched Series release Nexus/Ares have tried to do in the past. it also puts panes of a common era in the same trays.

LOOP

Do you have any price-estimations on the different bags?

It's starting to seem like it might be more efficient for me to bake in an assumption of "One Tray Per Sculpt", if Ares doesn't skip over Series 3 on reprints. So four trays per series would mean four series plus a Ground Crew tray per bag with room to spare for accessories...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Hanger tray size?
    By 101radioman in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 18:30
  2. KR New Bomber Tray a Review
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 10:21
  3. Wanted – Box and plastic tray for SPAD
    By Timmo UK in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds