Ares Games
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hangar Tray Update

Default Hangar Tray Update

The first thing I would like to do with this update is to thank each and everyone of you that pre-ordered the Hangar Trays is past summer. I know the delay has been very long and your patience is truly appreciated!

I'm still amazed at how hard it can be to find a company that is wants and is willing to product products. I can only imagine how things must be for companies like Ares. They have at least a small staff to try and keep projects on track, and they still have lengthy delays. As a one man shop, it's even harder for me. That being said, I've not wasted the time that has gone by.

First, to help regulate any delays in the future, I have purchased my own laser. I don't know how much any of you know about lasers, but it is a big investment in the 10s of thousands of dollars. Having my own laser will insure that I can produce the Hangar Trays in house if the production company should have issues. Having my own laser will also allow me to offer the custom Hangar Trays again. These custom trays will give you the option of picking which types of planes you want to go in them. You will no longer be stuck with the layouts that I normally stock.

Secondly, with the long delay many of you have had, I wanted to give you guys something better than my old style trays. To that end, I've spent a lot of time searching for and researching different foam types to use. I've narrowed it down to two main types of foams. These foams are not being used by any of the other miniatures storage companies. These are a higher quality and denser types of foam and will allow for some very unique and useful options to the trays.

The old style foam (and the foam used by "the other guys") looks like this:

As you can see, with just a little pressure you can easily compress the foam. This type of foam gives good protection to your minis from bouncing around in the cutouts, but offers little protection to the top layers of minis if something, or someone, should fall on top of them.

One of the new types of foam I'm testing is shown below. As you will see in this photo, the same pressure applied to it hardly makes a dent in the foam at all.

This is the same type of foam, only denser than the one above.

This new type of foam has a much smaller "bubble structure" and gives it great strength. These new style trays should not bend with you load them full of planes and pick them up from one end. It also has a much smoother surface, so some of the pointy bits of your minis will be a lot less likely to get stuck in the foam. The other type (see the next 4 photos below) I'm testing has a larger bubble structure, but is chemically completely different. It has a very nice looking textured surface and will offer great protection in every direction. With both of these new foam types, I'll be able to offer some visual combinations...

Entente and Allied trays:

Central Powers and Axis trays:

Having different colors for the base layer will allow us to quickly identify which side's planes are in which trays. Just open up your bag and you can instantly see which trays hold your German planes for example.

The base layer is also of a even more dense foam, again adding to the protection and durability of the trays.

One final option I'm looking into is the plastic base layer:

As you can see, this plastic can be laser engraved to add labels to the trays. The big advantage though, besides even greater protection, is how thin the base layer can be. On the old and new all foam trays, the base layer needs to be .25 inches thick. The plastic base layer only has to be .125 inches thick. That means for every 8 of the old style trays, you could actually fit 9 of the plastic/foam style trays. More trays in the same bag is always better. I still have to find out what colors the plastic comes in and what the price is going to be.

With any of the new foam types I"m looking at, there is another benefit that I'm excited to tell you guys about. And that is that not only can the cavities be cut out with the laser. but I can actually engrave on them too!

That photo does not really do it justice, but the word Plane is engraved right into the foam. It is a very clean engraving and would allow me the option to engrave the name of the plane next to each cavity, or even which types of planes are in that tray. With that last option, you could open your bag and the sides of the trays would tell you which planes were in each one! I can only do this on the long side of the trays as the laser I'm getting is not deep enough to engrave on the short end of the trays (they are 13 inches long that way).

That's a lot of information, so what does it really mean for the Hangar Trays and your pre-order? In short it means that the trays will most likely go up a little in price to offset the higher quality and that there is still going to be some type before they are produced and ready to ship to you. The good news is that everyone that has already placed a pre-order will be getting the nicer trays in place of the old style at no additional charge. It's just my little way of proving that "good things come to those who wait", as the saying goes.

About that waiting... I should have quotes from the production company (I'm on my 4th one since all this started by the way) sometime this coming week. As long as everything checks out, trays will go into production as soon as they have room in their production line for them. Also, my laser will not be delivered until the 30th of this month as well. This means we are realistically looking at January or early February for the trays to start shipping out to you guys.

It has been a long wait and I hope each of you will think it has been worth it. If anyone has any questions or comments, please post them here or feel free to email me directly at colhajj AT wingsofwar.org

Thanks again to everyone!
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 12-01-2013 at 10:56.

This is exciting news.

I like the idea of custom trays.

Very cool, Keith.

Wow, those are nice. good to know you that you are always trying to produce a better product. Most of us have a huge investment in our planes and great protection is what we seek. This type of foam might make my Army Transport bag useful again. With the current foam available, that bag is no better than a brown paper bag! Too bad your original hangar bag is no longer available, that was the best. I'll probably end up replacing all the previous version of your trays for the new ones. Don't get me wrong, the old trays were great but I like your new concepts better!

I like the idea of putting an extra tray per bag. Less room clutter for me.

Very nice! Off-topic, but might you be open to cutting other things with your new toy too?

This is really good news. Now I can order any tray I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Very nice! Off-topic, but might you be open to cutting other things with your new toy too?
    I'll be open to quite a few new things My first priority though is getting these pre-ordered trays out to everyone and then getting my normal production items sorted. I don't expect it to be much, but there is going to be a learning curve using this thing.

Interesting update. Another layer per bag is a welcome thing indeed.
    Having the trays marked as to their contents it an excellent idea. There were times I was puzzled as to which planes went into which trays when they arrived.
    Looking bright for the future.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I am QUITE pleased (and looking forward to my hanger tray). I am also quite pleased to know I can order custom trays again, as I have a lot of aircraft looking for a hanger!

Thanks, Oberst!

Great news Keith. Once you're sorted I shall order some custom trays methinks - as well as ordering series 7 of course

This is indeed excellent news. I can see more hangar trays in my future. What bags will be compatible with the new trays or is that customizable also?

Another update.

I my laser showed up on the 20th and I spent a little over a week setting up my exhaust system and sealing off the leaks. It appears I've got that all sorted out now. Last night my prototype foam sample showed up, so this weekend I'll be spending time getting the settings for cutting and engraving this new foam dialed in. Once I'm certain that it will cut the way I want, I'll place the bulk order for the two foams.

And here are the two foams I've decided to go with:

Top foam that the planes (and ships) will sit down in:

Bottom foam will be the red one in this photo (I will also offer it in blue). I do have some concerns that the PSA might not adhere to it well enough though. If that turns out to be the case, I will use the black foam shown in this same photo (but it will be red or blue still).

Barring any issues, I expect to start cutting production trays the 1st or 2nd week in Feb.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Barring any issues, I expect to start cutting production trays the 1st or 2nd week in Feb.
    Outstanding news!

Great news indeed Keith - I must tot up all the planes in my collection ready to order some custom trays

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Great news indeed Keith - I must tot up all the planes in my collection ready to order some custom trays
    I'll have to do the same... Scary thought, though... since the WGS bloat that's taken place.

Excellent...can't wait to see the ground crew hanger, then order some custom hangers for my planes!

Another update.
    Hmmmm...

GottaCon at the end of February, and I plan on hosting a few games. My temp storage doesn't travel nearly well enough, as I found out at BottosCon in November.

Any chance of trays being shipped before the middle of Feb?

And I plan to go to Enfilade 2014 near the end of May, so perhaps that will be the first test of the new transport system.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmmm...

Any chance of trays being shipped before the middle of Feb?

Mike
    I'll get them out as soon as I can, but I think that will be the earliest.

Just some quick photos for you guys...

Old style tray "supporting" a cordless drill:

New style top foam (no bottom foam!) supporting that same drill:

As you can see, the new foam is much denser, but it's actually smoother in feel than the old style.
    Last edited by Oberst Hajj; 01-01-2014 at 07:11.

Very impressive. I hope your SOG trays will be made out of the same material.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed2 View Post
    Very impressive. I hope your SOG trays will be made out of the same material.
    They will be. Guess I should post those images over on the Anchorage thread as well for those that don't sprout wings from time to time.

Just some quick photos for you guys...

Old style tray "supporting" a cordless drill:

New style top foam (no bottom foam!) supporting that same drill:

As you can see, the new foam is much denser, but it's actually smoother in feel than the old style.
    You do realize that you've just rendered my entire inventory of trays obsolete!
    Can't wait until the new issue comes out, esp since I have a number on backorder
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

These new trays look like the way to go to make sure the SGN sails are protected.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    You do realize that you've just rendered my entire inventory of trays obsolete!
    Can't wait until the new issue comes out, esp since I have a number on backorder
    Karl
    Yeah, mine too At least I get an employee discount though. lol

These new trays look like the way to go to make sure the SGN sails are protected.
    Yep, sails, rigging and ratlines should all be safe and sound.

Are the trays going to be the same size as the older ones and can you tell me the size of the older ones.

Yes, same size except for some special custom orders from time to time. The size is 7.5x13, 1, 1.5 or 3 inches thick depending on what the try is holding.

I've been able to do some testing, but the foam company only sent me one sample piece of foam to work with I did manage to work out the laser setting for the foam, but the PSA backing is giving me some issues. I've ordered more foam (30 pieces this time) and as soon as that comes in I'll get back to work on these. I don't foresee it taking more than a day of testing to sort out the PSA cutting issues. I'll try and get some photos upload to show you guys how good some of the cutouts are looking.

Just wanted to give you guys an update.

Thanks for the update, Keith... I can be patient, but I'm looking forward to the finished product as I've got a bunch of little planes that need shelter!

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Thanks for the update, Keith... I can be patient, but I'm looking forward to the finished product as I've got a bunch of little planes that need shelter!
    Me too In fact, I've not actually gotten a personal set of the last two WGF Series because I don't have Hangars to put them in. Or Series 3+ for WGS Don't forget guys, I'm not only a drug dealer, I mean miniatures dealer, I'm a user too! lol

Don't forget guys, I'm not only a drug dealer, I mean miniatures dealer, I'm a user too! lol
    This fact just adds all the more to your credibility!

One of the things I did find when making the test cuts... I'm going to have to rethink my finger holes on the plane cut outs. This new foam is so dense you can't even compress it to get your fingers down in there!!

This fact just adds all the more to your credibility!
    lol. I suppose it's pretty bad with a dealer can not even supply him self

Not to mention that I have 48 SOG's looking for a home.

One of the things I did find when making the test cuts... I'm going to have to rethink my finger holes on the plane cut outs. This new foam is so dense you can't even compress it to get your fingers down in there!!
    This is a good thing. I've found some of the cuts in the previous version of the hangar trays to be a little too narrow... some of the planes catch on the foam if not placed extremely precisely!

Not to mention that I have 48 SOG's looking for a home.
    I know right!!

This is a good thing. I've found some of the cuts in the previous version of the hangar trays to be a little too narrow... some of the planes catch on the foam if not placed extremely precisely!
    That will not be an issue at all with the new foam. The cutouts have smooth sealed wall to them. There are not open pores for the plane bits to catch on. I don't even thing the pitot tube on the WGS Series 1 and 2 planes will catch on top of these trays, let alone inside the cutouts.

englishpete

Hi there,

will there be custom cuts for WWII. I'd love to order where the planes sat next to the base and cards?

Thx Pete

I'll be offering both WGS trays that are pre-designed and cut, as well as full on custom trays... priced accordingly of course

If you are not familiar with them, the standard layout is 6 planes across one side and 6 cutouts for the decks and bases across the other side. Hopefully next week (scheduled for delivery on Tues) I'll have the new test foam in and I can actually cut a full sheet and show you guys.

On another note Keith, will you be doing the Damage Deck caddies again?

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    On another note Keith, will you be doing the Damage Deck caddies again?
    Yes Still sorting a few things out before I can ramp up to full production on everything.

Yes Still sorting a few things out before I can ramp up to full production on everything.
    Thanks Keith, that's great news

I am excited about these, with ovr 200 WGS planes and a couple dozen WGF, I have found storing them in their boxes is taking way too much room! Not only that, but it is easier for the wife to notice the collection growing. I have been looking I to new/alternative storage that not only protects the planes, looks good, but also can "shrink" the size of the collection to prying eyes....

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    I am excited about these, with ovr 200 WGS planes and a couple dozen WGF, I have found storing them in their boxes is taking way too much room! Not only that, but it is easier for the wife to notice the collection growing. I have been looking I to new/alternative storage that not only protects the planes, looks good, but also can "shrink" the size of the collection to prying eyes....
    A shed with you holding the only key. I'm a lucky guy my wife does not care.

I used to have a nice work room in the basement... now it's a hangar.

Quote Originally Posted by john snelling View Post
    A shed with you holding the only key. I'm a lucky guy my wife does not care.
    Same here - it's more a case of either get two more trays in the bag with the denser foam, or buy a second bag - although, with the way the collection is growing, that's only a matter of time anyway

SoG foam trays would be awesome. But there are so many items missing form your store. How are you ever going to catch up?

"A shed with you holding the only key. I'm a lucky guy my wife does not care."

Yeah, it is not the expenditure as much as a space issue. With little kids running the house, she has to make sure they don't go in my office, which doubles as a work space and library/man cave/gaming room. So as she sees it, the room is a huge liability and is getting fuller of my "precious" things all the time. The kiddos get really excited on the occasions I allow them in with me. Whenever the door is accidentally left ajar, the younger one in especial makes like a dart and ohhhs and ahhhs. As a further protection, everything of value or that would be really susceptible to breaking is kept high and out of their reach. I think I a just going to change the door knob for one with a lock and key. For my work stuff alone, the room has to be secure. Its also where my gun cabinet is as well. So there are lots of reasons to keep the children out of there.

Quote Originally Posted by skyking20 View Post
    SoG foam trays would be awesome. But there are so many items missing form your store. How are you ever going to catch up?
    Have you not realized yet that I don't sleep?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Hanger tray size?
    By 101radioman in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 18:30
  2. KR New Bomber Tray a Review
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 10:21
  3. Wanted – Box and plastic tray for SPAD
    By Timmo UK in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds