Ares Games

Thread: Immelman and aiming

Question Immelman and aiming

Should a person be allowed aiming after completing an Immelman card?

We play that it violates the spirit of aiming because your gun has come off the target but I am not sure that is anywhere in the official rules?

Timmy

The Immelman maneuver has no effect on shooting in the official rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Battle Mgr View Post
    Should a person be allowed aiming after completing an Immelman card?

We play that it violates the spirit of aiming because your gun has come off the target but I am not sure that is anywhere in the official rules?

Timmy

In reality the pilot’s eyes are the targeting device. Even though the guns aren't trained on the target, the pilot sure is. Most of time doing an Immelmann is setting up for an attack, so the maneuver is part of getting on target.

It has come-up in our group, but we play the official rule to keep it simple.

However, I do like LGKR's (Don) explanation.

To get two consecutive shots off on the same plane while doing an immelmann, you'd have to be flying head-on passing very close (but not overlapping) and flip exactly as you pass. That's some pretty fancy flying, and I think that should be rewarded with an aim bonus.

Yup!
    Larry, that's good for me too.

I don't allow a shot doing the Immelman, the real WWI Immelman was a difficult manouvre for a pilot and as far as I know took all his efforts to pull off, I therefore suspect he was incapable of also shooting with any chance to hit during it.

In gaming terms he can shoot during the straights but not the actual Immelman.

Sure, an Ace might be able to pull it off but your average Joe probably couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    I don't allow a shot doing the Immelman, the real WWI Immelman was a difficult manouvre for a pilot and as far as I know took all his efforts to pull off, I therefore suspect he was incapable of also shooting with any chance to hit during it.

In gaming terms he can shoot during the straights but not the actual Immelman.

Sure, an Ace might be able to pull it off but your average Joe probably couldn't.

You're probably right in the real world, however the game is only a simple representation of flight. Who's to say when the trigger was pulled during the Immelmann phase. Just as the cards only represent the space that the plane might occupy, the movement cards are only kind of general representation of movment. Time is kind of muddled. I think the 0 cards represent those misses from difficult manuevers well enough. JMO.

Exactly, the beauty of this game is you can add or omit anything you want, make it more complex or leave it simple.

Do what you feel best conforms to your idea of the game, no right way and no wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Belis4rius View Post
    Exactly, the beauty of this game is you can add or omit anything you want, make it more complex or leave it simple.

Do what you feel best conforms to your idea of the game, no right way and no wrong way.
    Here Here! Just the Fun way!

Talked to a WW1 pilot (he didn't fight during WW1 but flies it as part of the Confederate Air Force) he stated he could fire doing the maneuver. Firing the guns are not an issue after or during the turn. Just have to keep your eyes are the target and keep the other plan lined up.

We go with the rules and a pilot for our group.

Cheers,
    Ed

Smile

Nice work Ed. Your input does it for me, even if I needed extra convincing.
    We too are sticking with the official game rules on this one.

Similar Missions

1. The Immelman... Illustrated
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 18:51
  2. Immelman turns
    By mattcalaho in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 23:28
  3. Immelman too fast?
    By aikavaras in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3