Ares Games

Thread: My DH.9

Default My DH.9

Hi All,

I have been building my own models for about 16 months or so. I had decided, after a number of years of not really developing any hobbies (years taken up by school) that I wanted to try my hand at carving. So I started a Godzilla-type monster and a UFO (as a home made version of the Alvin and Dexter expansion for Ticket to Ride). As I started exploring games, I came across Canvas Eagles and decided to build a set. Since I was looking for another carving project, I figured carving my own model planes would fit right in. After more research and deciding on 1/144 scale, I went to work. First build was a couple of Albatross D.III, then a couple Hanriot HD.I, then two Phalz D.III.

My building philosophy thus far has been what I call a 3-P approach:
    Playable - sturdy enough and good-looking enough to be used in games
    Portable - can be used for multiple games (switch between WOG and CE/BM)
    Practically free - so far, I have only purchased paint and glue (even my knives are just old paring knives I modified)

So far, all of my models have been built using whatever wood is close at hand: fallen willow branches, wood scraps from other projects, toothpicks, etc. Glue 'em and paint 'em. I wasn't too worried about historical painting schemes, though I have tried a couple.

But what I want to share today is what is probably my favourite build so far: an Airco DH.9. I clearly missed the memo on how to take pictures, but I hope you enjoy them anyway.

Smile

Good effort for a scratch build.
    What materials did you use for this one?

Very enterprising and I am sure your skills will be honed to perfection with each model completed.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Good effort for a scratch build.
    What materials did you use for this one?
    Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with this one as I started building it when I was deciding to use wood for the wings instead of cardboard.

Fuselage is willow, stabilizer and wings are waste from ripping a 2x4 (fir, I think). Struts, landing gear, and rear gun are toothpicks. Wheels are cut from a cereal box. Paint is the cheapest crafting acrylic you can buy at Michael's. Silver paint on the wheels and cowl is Testor's enamel I got free through a Kijiji classified ad. Tires are drawn on with a Sharpie.

I have left all my wings square so far have (not carving in the actual curve of the wing surface). But I may start to be more detailed with the wings as I go. I did it with the most recent plane I built, a Bell Valiant Mk. II from the Crimson Skies universe, and it turned out pretty good. I'm still undecided when it comes to propellers: carve little ones, find some of that plastic that some people use for spinning props, or continue on not worrying about it.

Try the plastic route for the prop Dave - quick & cheap for an effective result.

You can get a fair simulation of the curve on the wings by sanding down the leading edge Dave.
    A good effort for a first attempt, well done.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."