Ares Games

Thread: Polegate Airship Crash 22nd December 1917

Default Polegate Airship Crash 22nd December 1917

Funny how you find things out - I was invigilating an exam in a library today when a book caught my eye - Disasters in Sussex - I sneaked a peak and found that one of them was an airship crash in Polegate just down the road from me on 22nd December 1917. I didn't even know there was an RNAS Airship Station there !
    The following exerpt is from a narrative entitled 'RNAS AIRSHIP MEMORIES - INITIATIVE AND GALLANTRY IN ANTI SUBMARINE OPERATIONS OF THE 1914-18 WAR' By M. J. Golightly appeared in 'Flight', 10 June 1960. from this site: http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=186.0

...."The wonderful flying year of 1917 was drawing to a close when it was marred by a fatality and chapter of accidents on the night of December 22. Five ships had left during the forenoon for patrol of the English Channel. The weather was sunny but hazy. Suddenly, at about 3 p.m. the perfect winter afternoon was obscured by a dense black fog which came down from the northeast with less than five minutes' warning. All ships were recalled to base, but although they could be heard above the dark pall which enveloped the station, not one of them could be seen. The pilots therefore decided, in accordance with previous orders, to head for the open country. S.S. Z6 landed safely in a field north of Hailsham; Z10 and Z9 put down near Jevington; Z7 and Z19 landed near the coast guard station at Beachy Head. By this time the ground was thick with snow. About 8 p.m. a fresh wind sprang up from the east, the fog lifted from the air station, and it was decided that in view of the possibility of the wind reaching gale force, and of the impossibility of holding the ships out in the open, they should fly back to base. Z7 and Z19 were the first to leave. It was thought that the pilots must have mistaken for the Polegate base the Aldis lamps used to illuminate the ships on the ground at Jevington. The lifting mist, coupled with the snow and silvery moonlight, evidently deceived the pilot of S.S. Z7 (Lt R. Swallow, RN) for he attempted to land and struck Z10, ripping her envelope. It is thought that seeing his mistake he then opened his throttle and tried to climb quickly, but the flames from his exhaust ignited the escaping hydrogen from Z10, causing both ships to burst into flame. Z7 rose to about 400ft and then came down alight from end to end. The pilot was killed instantly, and the other two of the crew-members were found severely injured. With the utmost gallantry, the crew of Z10, finding it impossible to move the injured men, detached the now almost red-hot high-explosive bombs from the burning ship and carried them away to safety, knowing full well that they might explode at any moment. On the recommendation of the C-in-C Portsmouth, both were awarded the Albert Medal in Gold. Meanwhile the senior flying officer, thinking that the crew of S.S. Z10 were still in the burning wreckage, dashed to the spot to rescue them. On reaching the car he found the crew had escaped, but before he could get clear of the ship both bombs exploded, blowing off his right arm. For his gallant action he was awarded the Albert Medal in Bronze. The whole of the personnel of the station were shocked and stunned by these losses, but a magnificent example was set by the commanding officer, Wg Cdr Ivor Fraser, who decided to take one of the remaining ships left intact on the station for a fly round. This act appeared to break the spell of depression."

This is a slightly different account from the one I found but you get the gist of what occurred.

This is a composite shot of how an airship would look at one of the tether points in the lee of the Downs from this blog:
    http://momodem1.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...1914-1919.html
    Last edited by flash; 11-08-2013 at 05:32.

"He is wise who watches"

Just found this post Dave. When I get back home to my library I will see if I have anything on this in my Airship books. Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

One for you airship chappies for sure - the craft pictured was, I believe, one based at Polegate and they seemed to range far & wide in their patrols ! - be interesting to hear what you find out Rob

Thumbs up

Good find Flash!
    You dont see much written about the Airship activities.

I'd like to hear more if anyone finds further details.

Here's another link to the story Scott but has some good pics of the airship station too.

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave!
    Nice pics & extended story.

Apart from what Dave has already come up with I could only find this photograph in "Battlebags" British Airships of the first World War, by C. E. S. Mowthorpe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSZ.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	117016
    Rob.

It is amazing how much history is right in our back yard. Living in Hampton Virginia, just miles away is Langley AFB, Fort Monroe, Norfolk Naval base, Williamsburg, Jamestown and the Yorktown battlefield.

Ok that is seriously cool - an airship station just down the road - much address envy, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

And a chain home station down another road at Pevensey Chris !

"He is wise who watches"

Just found this link to the BBC World War One at Home in which Victor Dodd who was a Polegate Airship radio operator, shares his experiences of piloting the ships out across the Sussex coast - recorded in 1968. Enjoy !

and found this too:
    The airship station, which stood on 142 acres of meadowland in the parish of Willingdon from July 1915 to April 1919, stretched from the British Queen along the A2270 to Polegate (then Willingdon) Mill and west to Wannock and the South Downs. The station was named 'Polegate' in accordance with service practice, as that was the nearest railway station. It was commissioned on July 6 1915.
    Polegate Airship Station was one of 11 stations around the coast carrying out air patrols against German U Boats, and was the most active. The patrol area in 1918 was 4,500 square miles stretching from Dungeness to Portland Bill. Eight thousand, one hundred and forty hours were flown that year. At that time the station's complement was 37 officers and 264 men.
    During the time the station was open, 13 officers and other ranks were decorated for bravery and service, and 13 mentioned in dispatches. Four officers and 10 other ranks died on active service. On December 20 1917, an unfortunate accident at Hill Farm, Willingdon, occurred when two airships collided, killing one of the pilots, Flight Sub Lieutenant R Swallow. He is buried in Ocklynge Cemetery. The station closed in April 1919 following the end of the war, and since then the land has been fully developed; long time residents of Willingdon will remember the remaining concrete blocks being blown up when parts of Lower Willingdon were developed.

"He is wise who watches"

Very interesting research there Dave and also a great Radio broadcast too.
    I noticed from the photo that they also have at least two bikes, which is two more than I do.
    Well done Squadron Leader.
    Kyte.

Similar Missions

1. Airship Attack! — Presenting the LZ41 (L-11)
    By Lugburz in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 01-05-2014, 12:45
  2. Record on 22nd September in Florence.
    By Attila57 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-22-2013, 23:21
  3. Attack on the airship
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 09:39
  4. Hansa-Brandenburg C.I vs Italian airship
    By Biggles downunder in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-14-2010, 19:58
  5. Airship Compendium Resource