Ares Games

Thread: Immelman turns

mattcalaho

Default Immelman turns

The rules state that you have to play a straight card before and after a immelman. Is the short straight maneuver card considered a straight card?

Quote Originally Posted by mattcalaho View Post
    The rules state that you have to play a straight card before and after a immelman. Is the short straight maneuver card considered a straight card?

The "short straight" card is a stall. If you play that before the other cards you've completed a split S or downward Immelmann maneuver. I think it only matters if you are playing with altitude as you will lose a climb marker with the split S and gain one with the Immelmann.

The stall card is NOT a straight maneuver. Look at the little icon over on the left bottom corner. On the straight maneuver there is an arrow pointing forward (or straight) while there is a Steep icon on the stall maneuver. Those little icon are important as to figuring out what a maneuver really is.

Those statements are true but what about the Fokker D.VII's special short strait maneuver? It has no steep icon.

Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Those statements are true but what about the Fokker D.VII's special short strait maneuver? It has no steep icon.
    That is a good point. Is the special short maneuver in the D.VII deck considered a steep or a striaght?

In the Italian version of Wings of War web site, under "Anteprime" section, there's an article of Federico Burchianti ("Anteprima Wings of War Miniatures II° Serie 1 Fokker DVII") about this airplane characteristics. I don't find this article in the english version.
    I summarize an important passage (sorry for my imperfect translation and english):
    " This new fighter became famous for its ability to "hang itself to the propeller", raising the nose over the stall angle sustained by the engine power, in a prohibitive configuration at the time.
    So it has exclusive manoeuvres: two stall with a right or left turn and one stall that it isnt' regarded as a reckless manouver".
    This card hasn't the simbol of a reckless manouver but it hasn't also the simbol of a straight maneuver as the Immelmann turn rule demands in the WoW instruction manual.
    I'm inclined to believe that the card isn't a a straight maneuver.
    Perhaps, it's correct to play this card in the middle of two reckless manouvers but not before or after an Immelmann card.
    But I'm a novice of WoW.
    I think that Angiolillo or other more experienced players remarks could be very helpful to clarify the issue.

Attilio
    Last edited by Attila57; 07-22-2010 at 11:53.

The "short straight" card doesn't have a straight symbol on it, so it's not counted as a straight for the purposes of card sequences. It's actually a non-steep stall.

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    The "short straight" card doesn't have a straight symbol on it, so it's not counted as a straight for the purposes of card sequences. It's actually a non-steep stall.

Didn't notice this when I initially looked at the L deck. Do any other decks have this card?

I don't find in any other decks I know (A to K for Miniature Series decks and R deck for Balloon Buster Expansion) a card without a manouver simbol (like straight, turn, up, down or reckless) as in this L deck card (stall maneuver or not).

It's a special card to transfer the exclusive manoeuvrability of this airplane into the game, I think.

Attilio

Quote Originally Posted by Attila57 View Post
    I don't find in any other decks I know (A to K for Miniature Series decks and R deck for Balloon Buster Expansion) a card without a manouver simbol (like straight, turn, up, down or reckless) as in this L deck card (stall maneuver or not).

It's a special card to transfer the exclusive manoeuvrability of this airplane into the game, I think.

Attilio
    Mille Grazie Attillio
    Last edited by Willi Von Klugermann; 07-24-2010 at 19:58.

Consider that the straight card before the Immelmann represents the speed needed to pull off the first half of the maneuver while the straight card after the Immelmann represents the speed you've built up coming out of the maneuver. Using anything but those long straights wouldn't make any sense nor would the Immelmann even be possible without them.

Scott

An excellent explanation Scott.

It remains for me a moot matter if it's correct to use this card in the middle of two reckless manouvers of L deck (if this manoeuvres sequence isn't illogic though it doesn't seem to contravene the game rules).

Attilio

Similar Missions

1. The Immelman... Illustrated
    By usmc1855 in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 18:51
  2. Immelman too fast?
    By aikavaras in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2010, 04:18
  3. Interesting Immelman video
    By Gravitypool in forum Hobby Room