Ares Games

Thread: Newbie Question

AceBerger

Default Newbie Question

Hey guys,

Looking to get into Wings Of War WWII. So to get into this i am planning on buying the following:

Deluxe Edition WWII Pack
    2 extra wildcats
    2 extra Bf 109s

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Or do i need only 1 each of the extra planes?

Any help and any general advice for a new player is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    andrew

Thumbs up Newbie Question

Andrew!

There are two schools of thought. The why not club, more is better. My advice is to get the Deluxe Set play a few games and see which planes you like.
    Do not base your decision on my collection. I play DOW using 144 scale planes. I lost have count of the number of planes i have. I counted six Spitfires and six Hurricanes and a good dozen Me-109`s. I have 250 plus planes.

I found a link on eBay check it out.

Rich

http://cgi.ebay.com/WINGS-OF-WAR-GAM...49549384946152

AceBerger

Thanks for the link, however the shiping is expensive and I have a feeling the price will go up.

And more is always better. And even if I don't like the planes so much I know I'm going to play USA because well...I love the USA.

Andrew!

I think that was a ripoff i always look hard at that! There were three other Deluxe sets on there also at more sane shipping prices! Check out Amazon also!

Rich

AceBerger

Thanks for the suggestions on where to buy, however I have my own source to purchase this stuff at a more reasonably price with free shipping. I may turn to ebay and amazon when I need to purchase "lots" or things similar, to increase my plane count.

Hello Andrew.
    as Richard said i also recommend you to buy ww2 deluxe set first then find which plane "fit" best with your way of playing.so when you think you are "skilled" enough, go and buy what you like more.

personally i like very much fly with bf109,spitfires and zeros.but it is different from one pilot to another one.

hope to help you.see you!

Quote Originally Posted by Olt^Jones View Post
    Hello Andrew.
    as Richard said i also recommend you to buy ww2 deluxe set first then find which plane "fit" best with your way of playing.
    Or think about the theatres of war you plan on playing - no point mixing 109s and Wildcats if you want a realistic scenario.

You could buy minis that are versatile enough for most theatre. Hurricanes are good for Aus, UK, France, Russia, N Africa, Burma, convoy duties -you name it!

I agree with Dave.
    Operational theatre is also very important.for example in pacific theatre zeros,wilcats and later spitfires dominate the scenario.it is not so "history correct" play wildcats vs bf109.
    but in a "fantasy dogfight" all can be happen

AceBerger

Yeah, that's the problem. There are no Eurpoean theatre US planes out yet, as far as I know, which stinks. I guess me and my dad will be doing some fantasy dogfighting for awhile, unless I just decide to get 2-4 planes for every nation (US, Japan, Germany, Britian). Hm, I probably will just buy the deluxe set and then figure out which plane I like best. Good advice, thanks.

AceBerger

So I've changed my mind a little bit, since I want to be historically accurate I'll be using britian. I do have a question about the contents of a plane pack (?) - If I buy 1 hawker hurricane does it come with the maneuver deck required to use it? So like I buy a plane does it come with the necessary maneuver deck? Thanks!

Lorenzo!

Accuracy is great. On several occasion Wildcats flown by both the US and Brittan tangled with Me-109`s not an every day occurrence but it happened. In the rule book they give math ups that balance planes out.

Rich

Welcome to the site, as you have already found out, lots of helpful people here.

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Lorenzo!

Accuracy is great. On several occasion Wildcats flown by both the US and Brittan tangled with Me-109`s not an every day occurrence but it happened. In the rule book they give math ups that balance planes out.

Rich
    Rich
    i didnt know that historic particular.
    thanks a lot to let me know that!

personally i like very much to play historic battles, or follow most historic airbattle episodes.
    but everyone is free to "flight" and play whatever he wants

Quote Originally Posted by AceBerger View Post
    So I've changed my mind a little bit, since I want to be historically accurate I'll be using britian. I do have a question about the contents of a plane pack (?) - If I buy 1 hawker hurricane does it come with the maneuver deck required to use it? So like I buy a plane does it come with the necessary maneuver deck? Thanks!
    Yes the minis come with the correct maneuver deck for them, a plane card and 4 altitude pegs.

I prefer to play by historical theater as well, it's a shame that the way they are releasing the WWII minis makes it so hard to do that

With the release of Series 2, at least you can do some limited Battle of Britain and Midway stuff in the form of 109s protecting Stukas on dive-bombing missions. Same goes for the Val in the Pacific. These two areas will be helped out a lot with Rain of Destruction late this year/early next year.

Just found the Photo and thought i would share it. The caption reads Martlet II (AJ148) in Oran,Algeria Dec 1942.

Rich
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Martlet_001.jpg  

fantastic pic!
    thanks rich for sharing it with us!

Lorenzo!

I found it by accident and it fit this thread perfectly!

Rich

AceBerger

Col Hajj, thanks for the info about the Plane Packs.

Also, are there any battle of britain scenarios? I'd love to play one once I got enough miniatures.

Andrew!

There is a solo BOB in the files section. I am working on some. I have 30
    days to finish them for a local convention. I have been building the planes for them and am almost done. Now for the software!

Rich

AceBerger

Here are some more questions maybe you guys can help out with,

I'm looking to play Brits, what should I pick up? Like, how many Hurricanes and Spitfires? In your anwsers please keep in mind that I am hoping to write and play a large battle of britain scenario once I learn the ropes. Now this also means I need to purchase a significant amount of Bf109's and Stukas(?).
    Any help is appreciated.

hello Andrew
    i think first you have to buy a lot of planes you must know how many friends do you want to involve to play your scenario.
    however if you want to build a big scenario you will need a lot of planes.
    i suggest for Brits: hurricanes and spitfires; for Germans: bf109E and me 110(when they hit shops) and a few stukas.this could be historically accurated scenario i think.

happy landing!

AceBerger

Thanks! And this scenario will be 1 on 1.

Andrew!

When you buy for your BOB collection stick to a historic ratio. Three German fighters for each British fighter. Plus bombers lots, and lots of bombers.
    I have collected 5 HE-111`s, 2 JU-88`s, 3 JU-87`s and 2 Do-17`s all but three are kits.

Rich

AceBerger

Thanks for that ratio, it is much appreciated.

I'm hopping to get a few BoB missions in this Wednesday night at the LGS!

KEITH!

Have you tried the ME-110 i the files section? If not give it a go!

Rich

Thumbs up Wings Of War (WWII): Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 (Balthasar)

Andrew!

I saw these and thought of you!

Rich

http://www.frpgames.com/cart.php?m=p...detail&p=55878

AceBerger

I think I'll be needing at least 18 of those. Which means only 6 spitfires.

Nope, not tried the 110s yet... don't have a mini for them

My BoB game is going to be a simple bombing mission for the Stukas. I will most likely place several ground target cards (all with guns) out close together. These will represent some type of base, radar installation or supply depot. I'll have the Brits in Hurricanes and Spitfires out numbered against the Stukas and a hand full of 109s.

Keith!

That sounds like a good quick scenario. I found all my Minicraft ME-110`s
    at local model shows. I have also seen True north 110`s from old glory.

Rich

Similar Missions

1. Fuel -- another newbie question
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-24-2012, 00:06
  2. Newbie question
    By Jamie in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 03:39
  3. Altitude tactics -- another newbie question
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions