Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Custom Map Preview....

Default NEW Custom Map Preview....

It's been several months to almost a year in the making. I give you a preview of what I've been working on. What my PC was upgraded for. 32gig ram was essential for a map that measures 11 FEET by 8 FEET. One that on the hard drive is over 5 GIG in size.

Yea, it's that big.

now all I need to do is shrink it some, cut it into 4 parts and then release it as 4 maps that combine to make the larger map. Each section will be a good size for the table top, but you're able to add each part to make a larger map. each map will have areas on it for ground targets....

Stay tuned to my blog for more updates!

Http://johnnylingster@blogspot.com

Nice work! Very nice indeed

Thanks. A lot of hard work is going into this map. There is more to follow! Stay tuned!

Nice map.

Fits to many European WW I & WW II scenarios.

Great looking map John.
    I look forward to seeing the rest.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wait until you see it up close. it's pretty nice from this vantage point, but better when up close.

Nice map, now all I need are some extra long arm extensions.
    See you on the Dark Side......

very nice map John, can't wait to see it in action.

Can we get a closeup of the water/beach area please?

I'm currently at work, so I can't get it for you. the beach/water area is not very great for anything like the D Day invasion.... if that's what you were looking for...

I'll grab it when I get home.

Incredible work, man. I look forward to seeing the smaller bits - might be time to finally bite the bullet and start ordering up maps!

I asked this before over in the other map thread, but how have people gone about printing these maps in the past? I think the consensus was that vinyl was the best material?

Quote Originally Posted by LingSter View Post
    I'm currently at work, so I can't get it for you. the beach/water area is not very great for anything like the D Day invasion.... if that's what you were looking for...

I'll grab it when I get home.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepyre View Post
    Incredible work, man. I look forward to seeing the smaller bits - might be time to finally bite the bullet and start ordering up maps!

I asked this before over in the other map thread, but how have people gone about printing these maps in the past? I think the consensus was that vinyl was the best material?
    Have one printed up at GameOn Terrain Mats. Luis is a member of the site and a heck of a guy! He always helps us out for mats at Origins and donates one to give to our Lend-Lease member.

hope the waterfront is good enough. there are little beaches, most of it is cliff type.

Also, let me dig up a site that I found a while back that makes custom vinyl banners. I think a 4x6 was 30 bucks. my mat has been in use for years and stands to the rigors of air combat...
    Last edited by LingSter; 10-28-2013 at 15:25.

I have a little bit of work to get done on the water as I found an area that got messed up. If you think the water needs adjusting, let me know and I'll see what I can do to fix it. I think I can add beaches someone easilly. not completely sure though.

That looks superb John. I really must get to work on my idea for my Malta map after seeing this.
    Rob.

John, thanks for the detail shots. I personally think the water is too detailed at this "altitude" I would suggest smoothing it out and doing some gradual color shifts to show depth and temperature changes. White caps showing on the entire water surface just looks a bit odd. Just some constructive feedback.

thanks for the feedback. it's tough to get the water just right. this big of a map, the waves don't line up properly. let me see what I can do.

I like it dude. The colour tones of the sea would be a very nice touch.
    Taking it from 4*+ to a 5*.
    Great to see this level of creativity... awesome!

I am sorry that I have not provided an update to this map. I have been very busy with issues both at home and work related. I cannot delve into them at this time, as I don't feel they need to be discussed here. However, know that I am still working on this map and attempting to get the water right. it's tough on a map of this size.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties... but that map is bloody brilliant! I look forward to seeing more in the future.

I am sorry that I have not provided an update to this map. I have been very busy with issues both at home and work related. I cannot delve into them at this time, as I don't feel they need to be discussed here. However, know that I am still working on this map and attempting to get the water right. it's tough on a map of this size.
    The time is yours, John. Take what you need.
    Everything good for you.
    You're in my thoughts.

that is a great looking map! Well done!

I have been very busy with issues both at home and work related. I cannot delve into them at this time, as I don't feel they need to be discussed here.
    "Seems like everywhere I go, I hear that same joke...."

sir: can you direct me to your OLD FREE MAPS, i have finally found a place that will print them somewhat cheaper then two years ago.

Not really relevant comment there old chap....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    "Seems like everywhere I go, I hear that same joke...."

No rush John. It will be done when it's done. There a priorities in life that can be put off and those that cannot. Thoughts are with you at this time. Hope everything is back to normal soon.

Neil

Time to resurrect an OLD TREAD....

A fellow board member contacted me a couple months back. PrivateBuzz has graciously asked if he could help with my project. Since things in my life have gotten very hard lately with the wife having ALS (Lou Gherig's), he saw that my project sat. Which it has. He is currently working on the water issue. Once that is done, then I will be able to combine the parts of the map together and we will FINALLY have a coastal map for us to play on that is photo-realistic. If fact, it is a photo. a very large one. it's actually a coast off England. perfect for those WW2 and WW1 flights over England!

Yes, I'm back. not in the capacity that I want, but hey, I'm still lurking about.

remember, my previous map can be found at my blog:

http://johnnylingster.blogspot.com/2...-my-wings.html

Just glad to hear that you are still active John, and very sorry to hear about your wife.
    Even if life has been hard on you recently, you can still lurk as you say.
    We are still ticking over, and eagerly await the completion of your map. It is great to hear that PrivateBuzz has been able to help you out in this way.
    All my best wishes.
    Rob.

UPDATE:

PrivateBuzz has finished the water and it looks good. I need to combine it to the map and finish it up. Once I do that, it'll be ready for release! I have to find a way to split it apart and such. PLUS, there might be a big announcement coming soon. perhaps in a little as 6 months from now....

Fantastic map work John. It will be great to see and have access to the final product.

Hope all is getting along as well as can be on all your other fronts.

What a fantastic map! Hope everything else has taken a turn for the better.

With the heath issues my wife faces (ALS), there is no "getting better", only worse. but, home life is a little better, My 5 yr old son loves to lay in our bed watching TV with her till he falls asleep. this has allowed me more time to myself and work on this map. (sans sleep myself)

I've found a few issues with the map that I'm correcting and/or fixing. I'm editing the map some to add a little more ground targets. I have a coal power plant built in the 50s that looks pretty cool and not too out of place for WW1. Plus, I plan on expanding one of the towns a bit to make it a bigger target to hit. Stay tuned!
    Last edited by LingSter; 03-03-2015 at 06:09.

At the Muster last month Cotton Jim had mats from a company named Cigarboxbattles. The ones he had were more for ACW but I checked their site and they have some nice mats.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    At the Muster last month Cotton Jim had mats from a company named Cigarboxbattles. The ones he had were more for ACW but I checked their site and they have some nice mats.
    I hope he has a variety at Cold Wars. I'm looking for something wet besides

Name:  rge-england.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  178.8 KB

Here is a "small" update to the map. I have taken the coal power plant from my back yard (and my house too) and placed it onto the English country side. it's now a bombing target!

Since you are updating targets, how about some Zeppelin sheds? I'm not sure if there are many left around to copy, other than the old airship sheds in Irvine, CA, which I think are of WWIIish vintage.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7052.../data=!3m1!1e3

Would be a fun target, I believe.

that could be doable. I also have a couple of "big" factories/ power plants I found that definitely look old. Found them in Cuba.

There's the old Goodyear Airdock in Akron; not sure how the size compares, but IIRC, they used it for assembling Corsairs during WW2 (my room mates grandfather was an employee doing that).

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ak...0bcb8b3e82f309

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The two Cardington hangars are still there, and probably the best vintage for a WWI hangar (one's 1920s, and the other a 1920s extension on an original WWI hangar.)

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.1089.../data=!3m1!1e3

I think the German hangars are all gone, but they built one in Rio in the 1930s that's still there.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ha...ed6a0119eb6e26

thanks guys. The Cardington hangers will find a good spot on the map. There will be so much play-ability on these maps that you'll never grow tired of playing on them!

P.S. If any of you come across a vintage looking rail yard... I would love that.

There is an airship shed at Tillamook, OR, USA that has been converted into an air museum. Plenty of photos via Google.

thanks guys. The Cardington hangers will find a good spot on the map. There will be so much play-ability on these maps that you'll never grow tired of playing on them!

P.S. If any of you come across a vintage looking rail yard... I would love that.
    Just a note of caution John.
    Avoid those roundabout islands near the hangers. They did not have those until the late 1930s.
    Rob.

Can you give me an idea as to what you mean? I assume you mean the road intersections that are "roundabouts" (circular intersections)

Can you give me an idea as to what you mean? I assume you mean the road intersections that are "roundabouts" (circular intersections)
    Those are they John.
    Rob.

i can slip an extra tree or two. but also, note that since I'm building this off satellite imagery, there still will be some "modern" stuff in there. it can't be helped, but I am trying to minimize things as much as possible. Heck I built a whole forest over a string of high tension power lines that crossed the map!
    Last edited by LingSter; 03-11-2015 at 11:18.

i can slip an extra tree or two. but also, note that since I'm building this off satellite imagery, there still will be some "modern" stuff in there. it can't be helped, but I am trying to minimize things as much as possible. Heck I built a whole forest over a string of high tension power lines that crossed the map!
    That is good John.
    i was just mentioning the Roundabouts because anything regular and round sticks out like a sore thumb. Most objects are much more difficult to resolve if they are irregular shapes. So you should be alright for ordinary scrutiny.
    Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. More preview models! Beaufighter and the Bf-110.
    By FrankJamison in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 09-17-2021, 11:16
  2. SoG Preview
    By David Manley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-01-2012, 10:34
  3. Preview new airplanes
    By marcoperse in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 09:33
  4. National: Preview Airco DH2