Ares Games

Thread: Multi Player Mission Contest - Win a Red Baron Mini

Default Multi Player Mission Contest - Win a Red Baron Mini

Contest Name: Multi Player Contest
    Who Can Enter: Anyone registered on the site
    Deadline: 23:59 on July 31st (make sure to use Mountain Standard Time!!)
    Prize: An official Wings of War Red Baron mini

For this contest I am looking for a multi player mission that goes beyond the simple "place aircraft here and then fight" type of missions. I am looking for some thing that has substance and gets people to play the game in a different manor then they would normally play the game. I'm not looking for lots of house rules heavy missions, but something that does not alter the core rules of the game is allowed.

Post your entries along with any special rules and photos/diagrams that go with it in this thread.

After the deadline I will chose the mission I feel is most deserving based on originality, playability, fun factor, and finally presentation here on the site (meaning make it look pretty for bonus points!).

Good luck!

I see the prize for all these contests is the Red Baron. Is this supposed to be a WWI only effort? No big deal for our group, we have plenty of each, but I did want to ask.

Nope, WWII entries are more then welcome! The Baron's mini is just about impossible to get these days, so we thought it would make a nice prize. They are going for more then $50 on Ebay right now

Mmmm. This should be fun. I'll put my top guy on this - that would be my son, Hunter. He has a binder full of missions and is always creating new ones. Together we should be able to create a winner.

Scott

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Default Oberndorf Bombing Raid

Hi all,

I've just put my Oberndorf Bombing Raid mission in the files section under "scenarios." Check it out.

Default Multi Player Mission Contest entry

A Daring Rescue!!

Players: 2-6

Gaming Surface:
    Length: 160cm
    Width: 100cm

German Player(s): Place a plane card one half rulers distance in front of the middle of the back of the Allied side. This is a downed plane and is inactive for combat. Place a UFAG C.1 anywhere along the back of the German side. This plane has no rear gunner at this time. On the 2nd turn place a Fokker Dr.I and an Albatros D.Va one half rulers length apart at the same starting point as the UFAG. All planes are at an altitude of 2.

Allied Player(s): Place two trench cards 2 rulers distance in front of the back of the Allied side, one 25cm from the left side (to the center dot) and one 25 cm from the right side. Place a Sopwith Camel and a Nieuport 17/21/23 a half rulers distance apart, anywhere 0.5 rulers distance from the back edge of the Allied side. On the 2nd turn place a Spad XIII anywhere along the back edge of the Allied side. All planes are at an altitude of 2.

Scenario: A German pilot has been shot down and is trapped behind enemy lines. His friend and comrade commandeers a UFAG C.1 on a desperate rescue mission. He sets off alone, ignoring the dangers of a solo run into enemy territory. Two of his squadron mates, seeing him leave and knowing his plan, take off after him to join the rescue attempt. Time is of the essence and the pilots know they have to get to their downed friend soon or he’ll be killed or captured. The German UFAG has 8 turns to get to the downed pilot before he is captured or killed. To rescue the downed pilot the UFAG must land (and taxi, if necessary) within 0.5 rulers distance of the plane card. The rescue plane must then wait two maneuver rounds to get the downed pilot into the plane before it can execute takeoff maneuvers. Once the pilot is rescued, the UFAG regains rear gunner abilities for the remainder of the mission.

Advanced Rules Needed: Altitude, Landing, Takeoff, Maneuvering on the ground, Strafing.

Winning Conditions:
    For the German side to win, the UFAG must land and rescue the downed pilot, takeoff, and return safely to home base (escape out the back of the German side).

For the Allied side to win, the German UFAG rescue plane must be shot down with at least one Allied plane intact.

Variant:
    Allied planes (rescue force):
    DeHavilland D.H4
    Sopwith Camel
    Nieuport 17/21/23

German planes:
    Albatros DIII
    Albatros D.Va
    Fokker Dr.I

That's my submission for the contest. Hope you like it.

Scott
    Last edited by Goering Ace; 07-28-2010 at 06:44.

Default Balloon Busters

Balloon Busters

players: 2-as many as show up.

Gaming Surface: 4'x5' map

Player Set-up: Divide players into two groups Central Powers and Allies. New players pick which ever plane they like. The veterans stick to, for the Allies; Spad XIII, Nieuport 17, for the Axis; Albatros D.III or Albatross D. Va.

Scenario: Set up 4 observation balloons, the two 4' sides are the Allies and the Central Powers sides, two on the Central Power's side at least one ruler apart and two on the Allies' side at least one ruler apart. The balloons should be at least two rulers from the edge of the 4' side of the map and one ruler from the 5' side of the map. The balloons are never lowered to the ground but stay up, as an important battle is going on down below.The objective is to shoot down the balloons. The balloon rules for explosions are not in use until the advance rules are added. If a balloon is shot down it is just removed. Now if more pilots show up or a pilot get shot down just rotate them in at the edge of their playing map. The team to shoot down all the enemies balloons wins. The two sides should be mostly even as pilots get shot down and new players are added.

Summery:This is a simple scenario to introduce new players to the game. As the pilots get efficient at the base rules the advance rules can be added, such as special damages, altitude or any of the other optional rules. It's a lot of fun, and if you get shot down you'll be right back in the thick of it in no time. So in conclusion, I hope all of you will like and use this scenario to bring new gamers to the fun of WoW in a grand scale.

Tom

P.S. This is my entry.
    Last edited by CappyTom; 07-31-2010 at 13:14.

So Tom, are we the only entries in this contest?

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Goering Ace View Post
    So Tom, are we the only entries in this contest?

Scott

At least I know I can get 2nd. Is there a second prize?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    At least I know I can get 2nd. Is there a second prize?

Tom
    LOL!! Don't sell yourself short, Tom. You created a good mission. We went two different routes between us. I went for the advanced play while you went for the beginners. Win or lose it was still fun coming up with an entry.

Good luck!!

Scott

Thank you Scott. You have a really good one there too and I wish you luck.

Tom

Cracking good show so far chaps. Come on the rest of you get orf your bunks and add something to this wonderful contest. If you aint there you won't shoot anything down.
    Just to think, it's only going to cost me the price of buying two more balloons so far.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Two entries were PM'd to me before the deadline, so here they are:
    This is a three stage mission.

Aircraft involved: maximum of 10 per side - in sorties of two to five aircraft per sortie

Five bridge targets are placed 1 - 2 ruler lengths apart, based on the size of the gaming table and within 1 ruler distance of the end of the enemy side of the table. One 6 sided die is rolled to determine which of the 5 targets shall be photographed and later bombed. Ignore a roll of 6.

Phase 1 - Two fighters and 1 reconnaisance aircraft are to cross enemy lines and photograph 3 of the target bridges. The 3 bridges to be photographed are determined by the die roll (a total of three seperate individual bridges). Two enemy fighters are on patrol and are send to disrupt the photographic mission. The reconaissance aircraft must return and cross friendly lines to complete this part of the mission (end of friendly side of the gaming table). If the reconnaissance flight fails a second photographic mission is flown.

Phase 2 - The attacking side must choose one of the photographed bridges for a bombing run. The attacking flight consists of two fighters and two bombers. The defending side has 5 fighters available to defeat the bombing attack. (2 a/c are in the first flight and 3 in the second - one flight from the top side of the allied end and the second from the lower side). After the bomb run at least one of the attacking aircraft must exit from the friendly end of the game board.

Phase 3 - The successful return of the bombing aircraft triggers a follow up photo mission. Again 2 fighters and one reconaissance aircraft must photograph the bridge to determine if it has been destroyed. They are opposed by 3 enemy aircraft. For a successful mission the reconnaissance aircraft must exit the friendly side of the gaming table.

I hope I've sent this to the right location. If not you may need to help me get it to the right place. Dutchy
    1. HIT RUN AND SURVIVE! A quick Battle of Brittan mission for multi players, Fighter to Fighter.

Force composition: Axis: two ME-109`s minimal, with as many additional groups of two`s as there are players.
    Allied: three Spitfires or Hurricanes. For balance the Allied player should always be the weaker side and never have one to one parity with the Axis player at the start.

Playing area: The table should be divided by fourths across it`s width. The fourth along the rear of the Axis side represents the English Channel. Using a 4ft by 5 ft area.

Set up: Both sides will set up two firing sticks back from the center of the table. I recommend using the special damage rules. Before the game it should be decided whether the altitude rules shall be used. Players new to the game might find this confusing.

Special rules: The purpose of this mission is to inflict damage on the opposition not necessarily shot them all down.
    1: An Axis player shot down over England is considered lost. An Axis players exits his edge of the table survives. An Axis player shot down in the Channel has 50% chance of surviving.*
    2: Allied players shot down have a 50% chance of surviving.*
    * If you pulled the explosion chip OPP`s!

Victory: If a clear cut victory has not been obtained. 1 point for each plane shot down, 2 for each pilot lost.

Option`s 1: Limit the Axis player to ten high speed moves once past center line of the table.
    2: Limit Allied to five high speed moves once over the channel.

After thought! Since this mission was for a convention and scheduled for four hours. I envisioned players re spawning and getting back into the action from the rear edge of the board.

Rich

Thanks to everyone that entered. I will be going over these and will announce a winner soon.

Alright, I've had a chance to play test these and I have decided on a winner.

The winner is Dutchy with his three stage Reconnaissance and Bombing missions. Well done Dutchy!

Similar Missions

1. What to buy first as a new player
    By Oberst Hajj in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 03-30-2014, 18:31
  2. Multi-player games question
    By Khargor in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 12:25
  3. Multiplayer: Multi-mission rules
    By rdm in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 0