Ares Games

Thread: German/Central Powers units in the Middle East

NeilCFord

Default German/Central Powers units in the Middle East

I'm looking for information on what air units were active in the Middle East. Can anyone recommend any good sources?

In particular I'm interested in units that 1 Squadron AFC may have encountered.

- Neil.

Neil, there have been several articles in older Cross&Cockade issues, and a few postings on the subject on theaerodrome.com forums. Going by them:
    April 1916:
    The first German planes of Fliegerabteilung (FA) 300 arrive: 2 Rumpler C.I and a Pfalz Eindecker. By the end of the month all of FA300 has arrived, a total of 8 C.Is.
    September 1916:
    FA 300 receives 6 more Rumpler C.I and two Fokker E.III. They've already lost a few of their first issue, and the Pfalz Eindecker is in bad shape.
    March 1917:
    FA300 gets 8 new Rumplers as replacements for their worn planes, which apparently are handed over to the Ottoman air force.
    June 1917:
    FA300 receives two Albatros D.III.
    September 1917:
    The second wave of German Fliegerabteilungen begins to arrive. They're all equipped with 4 AEG C.IVs and 2 Albatros D.III. First is FA301, in the middle of September.
    October 1917:
    FA302,303 and 304b arrive. The second of FA300's D.IIIs is lost, the first one having being forced down in September.
    January 1918:
    The D.IIIs of the FAs are organised as a provisional Jasta, usually called Jasta 300 or Jasta Felmy (after it's CO). This is also the time when the 1st Sqn AFC starts to get their Brisfits, if I'm not mistaken.
    March 1918:
    Jasta 1F arrives with Aldatros D.Vas. It absorbs the remnants of Jasta 300. After a couple of fatal accidents (the usual Albatros monoplane problem) the D.Va are grounded for repairs and the old D.III are issued. The D.Va trickle back into service eventually.
    April 1918:
    FA301-304b receive more two seaters to replace losses: 8 LVG C.IV and 4 Rumpler C.IV (Series 4 anyone?).
    Jasta 1F also got some replacement planes, Albatros D.Va and Pfalz D.IIIa, but I'll need to check my notes for dates and numbers.
    Aris K.

NeilCFord

Aris

Thank you for the information, it is very very useful. Now I have a basis from which to further my investigations.

- Neil.

I have a copy of 'Aircraft of World War 1 1914-1918' by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson. In the chapter on the Middle East it states that the first ex-German airplane sent to the Turks arrived in the Dardanelles on 17th March 1915.

An interesting site is http://www.australianflyingcorps.com...002/index.html , with plenty of info on the 1st Sqn AFC. If you go to the feature on the Palestine campaign, there are a number of brief accounts of encounters between German and Aussie flyers as seen by both sides. Wanted to post it with the first message, but hadn't bookmarked it, so had to go looking- sorry .
    Aris K.

NeilCFord

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I have a copy of 'Aircraft of World War 1 1914-1918' by Jack Herris and Bob Pearson. In the chapter on the Middle East it states that the first ex-German airplane sent to the Turks arrived in the Dardanelles on 17th March 1915.
    Thanks David, that some useful info and also a pointer to a useful book it would seem, very much appreciated.

- Neil.

NeilCFord

Quote Originally Posted by Akosion View Post
    An interesting site is http://www.australianflyingcorps.com...002/index.html , with plenty of info on the 1st Sqn AFC. If you go to the feature on the Palestine campaign, there are a number of brief accounts of encounters between German and Aussie flyers as seen by both sides. Wanted to post it with the first message, but hadn't bookmarked it, so had to go looking- sorry .
    Aris K.
    Aris

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! That is a superb resource, thank you for pointing it out.

I have duly added to your reputation.

- Neil.

Now Neil, there's no reason to start calling people names .
    I've got the most accessible of the material on the german flyers in Palestine, and some stuff on the Ottoman air force, but haven't devoted time yet to getting it properly organised. Would be glad to help with additional questions you may have.
    For eye candy and modelling inspiration I'd recommend taking a trawl through the Australian War Memorial's photo collection at awm.org.au - they've got shots of just about every type that flew in the Middle East (on either side), recon photos, the works. They also have the official histories online as .pdf files, which is a very nice gesture.
    Aris K.

Quote Originally Posted by Akosion View Post
    Aris K.
    Some very good books on there too. Thanks for that one.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. My next plane (German or german ally)
    By Kungfuhustler in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 04-19-2010, 12:32

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.