Ares Games

Thread: Relatively new player question

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Default Relatively new player question

Although I've been playing regularly over the last few weeks, I haven't introduced altitude to our gamers (some little shavers involved). Is altitude worth the time studying if we only play with cards?

It looks pretty cool with the minis, but am unsure whether to include with cards - looks confusing.

Even as a mini-only player, I don't use the altitude rules. Too fiddly with the pegs. I haven't found a perfect solution yet, although someone showed a dice holder to show altitude. I don't know about the cards, I can't see any visual advantage, obviously...

Yeah, not sure if I'd use altitude with the cards either.

I also only play with the minis. As a relatively new player I have not bothered with the altitude rules either yet. The game is fun without this added factor, but I might consider it in the future.

I do agree that if I was playing with the cards I would not introduce the altitude rules either.

Leuchtturm

I really have problems with that section of the rules.
    It is reported that the altitude cannot be over 4 but in the same page is reported a chart with the max altitude (and how fast they can get to the further step)

for example:
    Fokker Dr.1 >>>>> 13 >>>>>> 2
    as I understand means that when it get 2 'up' counter then it is allowed to add a plastic section under the model (OK) the question is what '13' practically means
    if the max altitude is 4 sections as reported on the rulebook 2+2+2+2=8 for all.

please help me understand.

This part is a little confusing. The chart with the max altitudes and climb rates is for use with the Optional Altitude Rules on page 13 (of the Miniatures Rulebook).

Leuchtturm

So the chart just introduce an optional rule, the choice is to use the 'standard' 4 pegs or to use the full altitude chart.
    The rulebook could have been much more clear about that!

Thank you for the answer

I also wonder why to use so many pegs ('till the ceiling if at full altitude lol ), why not reduce them to a lower number, always taking acount of the differences (but this is just a personal pow, no more)

Users Country Flag

Name
    Barry
    Sorties Flown

The idea is that you choose a height range that can be represented by 4 pegs - it doesn't have to be 1-4, it could be 5-8, or 7-10 etc. Planes that go beyond that range have left the battle.

I still haven't incorporated height but am getting close to thinking it might be fun.

Height is fun! No doubt. But it slows the game down. I would recommend to give it a try. There are height markers you can use when you play with the cards only.

Leuchtturm

No doubt that the altitude give more depth and also fun to the gameplay, I tried a simplified (not meant to be an hr was only a misunderstanding) just adding/removing a section after a single up or down card and altough wrong was not bad.
    This is why I decided to use the right rule, including of course the climb rate but it was not clear the point I asked in this thread.
    Now it is.

Leuchtturm, have a look at my Simplified Altitude Rules and if you want to use rate of climb for planes, my Simplified Altitude Rules with Climb Rates. One of those might be to you liking if you want some thing a little more "user friendly".

Leuchtturm

thank you for the tip, i'll test the 'one with the climb rates' and I'll leave a feedback after the experience (this will happen, sadly, not before than 10 days )

When just using cards don't bother with altitude. I find the alt rules to be a pain but once you have them down they do open up some nice options when in a dog fight

My group has used altitude from the very begin and find it adds a whole new dimension to the game (excuse the bad pun). We are a group of long time gamers so adding it was no big deal. Even when using cards, as we did for our 1st WW2 game, we used it right out of the book.

In my opinion, altitude is one of the rules that's more difficult to explain that to do but is very worthwhile.

Pooh

I've found altitude rules to be pretty much essential if there's AA guns and trenches in play. Two-seaters are better balanced with altitude rules too, since they can only climb at about half the rate of your average fighter.

The Flying Higher, Collisions and Cloud Cover rules from BD can make things pretty interesting too.

If you're only playing straight dogfights with single seaters I don't suppose it makes much difference if they're used or not.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Philippe
    Sorties Flown

When I show the game to new players, i never use the altitude, but when I play solo, I love the complexity and depth it adds. Maybe too much complexity for the added bonus but I like it.

Welcome to the site!

Quote Originally Posted by IRM View Post
    The Flying Higher, Collisions and Cloud Cover rules from BD can make things pretty interesting too.
    Agrred, especially the rules for clouds are fun to play with!

Similar Missions

1. New Player Question
    By Davot in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 04:30
  2. Site: Player Locator improvements
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2009, 08:21