Ares Games
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Series 8 planes revealed!

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Sashdash View Post
    Here are some pictures that might answer your question. The twin guns were mounted left and right on the lean bow.
    I saw the little holes when I searched for "Gregory Alegi Windsock" as Andrea sugested. But your pics are better.
    They are not really showing on the new WoG-models. But it is a very small detail...

You can always put a little black dot there yourself if the released model does not have it.

Just placed my pre order from here since I learned my lesson from the last one I placed from another vendor. Now I know I will get them when they are released.

I am curious which colour scheme or pilot of each plane type from Series 8 do people like best? If you don't like any for a particular plane just omit it.

For me:

N28- O'Neill
    Fokker E.V- Lowenhardt
    CL.IIIa- Baur/Von Hengl
    Macchi- Arcidiacco (this was the hardest choice of all planes- like them all :P)

For the colour scheme Terry, I go with.

Rickenbacker.
    Ostercamp.
    Hager/ Webber.
    Arcidiacone.

Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Ostercamp is the only one I'm going to buy from this series – due to the wing issue. His wasp like DVIII is one of my favourite planes/colour schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Handley View Post
    I am curious which colour scheme or pilot of each plane type from Series 8 do people like best? If you don't like any for a particular plane just omit it.

For me:

N28- O'Neill
    Fokker E.V- Lowenhardt
    CL.IIIa- Baur/Von Hengl
    Macchi- Arcidiacco (this was the hardest choice of all planes- like them all :P)
    I like all of them. Assuming I become employed again soon, I'll order all of them.

Guys, does anyone know Macchi's maneuver deck letter? It is for General overview of released minis - WWI

And while we're at it, does anyone have any idea how many Macchi M.5s were captured by the Austrians during the war?

Fokker E.V - Loewenhardt or Löwenhardt (someone forgot the "e" in the Name )
    Ni.28 - O'Neil
    CL.IIIa - Luftstreitkräfte
    Macchi M.5 - Arcidiacono

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

Fokker E.V = Osterkamp
    Nieuport 28 = They all look the same dont they? seriously tho, O'Neil's shark mouth wins the day.
    Macchi M.5 = Haviland just beats Arcidiacono to first place.
    Hannover = Hager/Weber i think.

Also just wondering - how many official aircraft do people tend to own? 92 for myself. Just trying to work out if ive gone from hobbyist to mentalist

Quote Originally Posted by strontiumdog View Post
    Also just wondering - how many official aircraft do people tend to own? 92 for myself. Just trying to work out if ive gone from hobbyist to mentalist
    Not totally up to date but should give you an idea Dan.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...res-do-you-own

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by brucewallace View Post
    And while we're at it, does anyone have any idea how many Macchi M.5s were captured by the Austrians during the war?
    I think Andrea mentioned this in one of his posts.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Not totally up to date but should give you an idea Dan.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...res-do-you-own

Rob.
    As i feared - its not a hobby - its an illness!

In each released series i generally go for all the scouts and 2 each of any twin-seater or heavy bomber.

As i feared - its not a hobby - its an illness!
    Totally. Mine is not the largest collection, but it's big enough that I'm not counting it in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by brucewallace View Post
    Hi Bruce,

according to Windsock Datafile No.86 "Macchi M.5" by Gregory Alegi, this machine run out of fuel on 19 November 1917 while being flown by Secondo Capo Cannoniere (Naval Rank) Daniele Minciotti of 260a Squadriglia. He pursued an enemy aircraft well deep into Austrian lines then had to perform an emergency landing thus presenting the Austro-Hungarians a fully operational machine.

The M.5 was then flown by Fähnrich i.d.R. Friedrich Welker until 23 February 1918 when the machine crashed near Trieste harbour killing the pilot.

A note on the Italian pilot: Daniele Minciotti was born in Assisi on 6 January 1891. He took part in the Italo-Turkish war in 1911 then earned his wings during WWI. He was the first Italian pilot to perform a night bombing on the enemy coast setting aflame the hangar of Trieste. He was awarded the Silver Medal for Military Valor.

Mau

By the way, did you know that the Macchi M.5 is based on the Austrian-Hungarian Lohner Type L (serial L.40)?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lohner L 40.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	154482

Name:	l40.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	154483

The design was essentially a more powerful version of the Lohner E, and became highly influential. Apart from licenced production by UFAG, the L provided the basis for designs by other major manufacturers. In Germany, Hansa-Brandenburg manufactured a modified version of it as their first flying boat, the FB, and in Italy, a captured example was used as a pattern aircraft by Macchi, who produced it as the L.1. In turn, the L.1 would provide the foundation for a large number of Macchi designs over the coming years.

On May 27th 1915 the aircraft (serial L.40) was captured and taken intact near the naval air station of Porto Corsini. The captured flying boat was copied by Macchi-Nieuport and the L.1 was built within a month. The L.1s were delivered to Italian maritime reconnaissance and bombing units based on the Adriatic. An improved version was developed as the Macchi L.2

The Macchi M.5 is a further development of the L.3

A restored example of an Austro-Hungarian Lohner L (serial L.127) is preserved at the Italian Air Force Museum at Vigna di Valle.

Sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohner_L
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohner_Type_L
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_M.5
    Last edited by Sashdash; 01-07-2015 at 04:56.

By the way, did you know that the Macchi M.5 is based on the Austrian-Hungarian Lohner Type L (serial L.40)?
    I did not! In fact, I know very little about Great War era seaplanes. I'm more familiar with their WWII brethren, whether seaplanes or float planes.

Thanks for the info, I'll be looking at the Macchi a little more closely now... and wondering if/when we'll see another seaplane sculpt produced by Ares.

LOOP

N28- O'Neill
    Fokker E.V- Lowenhardt
    CL.IIIa- Baur/Von Hengl
    I will go for:

E.V. Loewenhart
    N.28 Hartney (pitty on the nose though)
    M.5 Haviland
    CLIIIa "Luftstreitkräfte" (Close one on this. All are nice )

P-G

A restored example of an Austro-Hungarian Lohner L (serial L.127) is preserved at the Italian Air Force Museum at Vigna di Valle.

Sources:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohner_L
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lohner_Type_L
    http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macchi_M.5
    And here is a photo of the tailplane of that very machine taken by Mrs K. last April.

Name:	IMG_2331.jpg 
Views:	350 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	154484

Rob.

Wish we had a more definitive release date, as I want to preorder and the end of the month paycheck is making more sense than the 15th due to having taken some time off around the holidays. I wanna take advantage of the Aerodrome Accesories preorder, it's a great deal.

I am curious which colour scheme or pilot of each plane type from Series 8 do people like best?
    I'll decide which I like best when I hold them in my grubby mitts!

Too many times I have purchased items which don't match their photo descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    Guys, does anyone know Macchi's maneuver deck letter? It is for General overview of released minis - WWI
    According to a post from Roberto Di Meglio, Macchi M5 will use deck Q, same as the Aviatik DI.

Do we have an official release date for these that isn't as vague as "january/february"? We are a few days from half-way through January without a target date, so I am going to suppose that February is the more likely scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    Do we have an official release date for these that isn't as vague as "january/february"?
    I haven't seen one... but Keith referred to the fact that he's placed his order already.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    I offer the Complete set as an easy way to pre-order everything at once until just up to the point that I have to place my order with Ares. Once I reach the point of placing my first order, I pull the single "complete" product from the site because it gets way to confusing for me to track all the different minis in all the different orders at that point. But fear not, you can still order all of the planes for the same total price, you just have to order each one separately is all.
    As this ordering option is no longer available... methinks we're getting close.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I haven't seen one... but Keith referred to the fact that he's placed his order already.

As this ordering option is no longer available... methinks we're getting close.
    AH SOUNDS GREAT!!! I am gonna preorder from Keith when I get paid on the 16th. That is the info I needed.

What does he charge for shipping the complete set?

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Not quite yet, but very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by P-51D View Post
    AH SOUNDS GREAT!!! I am gonna preorder from Keith when I get paid on the 16th. That is the info I needed.

What does he charge for shipping the complete set?
    The AA site will give you exact shipping quotes. Just add the items you want to your cart, and then view your cart and enter in your shipping info. This is all before you start the check out process, so if you don't like what you see, you have not wasted much time... although I can't foresee any reason you'd see something you don't like

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Not quite yet, but very soon.
    Curses! Done in by my own wishful thinking!

Ares' site now says March for the release date on these bad boys. That's good news for my wallet!

LOOP

Just hope it's in the begining of March.

Yes saw that ARES site has a release of March and good to hear. Hope the next WWII set will be out soon after that.

Good news all round then.
    rob.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Yes saw that ARES site has a release of March and good to hear. Hope the next WWII set will be out soon after that.
    Hopefully as we get closer, Keith will offer another pre-order package... much easier.

So, these Macchis are going to be the first official planes that you can't display without the base, aren't they? I wonder if anyone plans to create a carriage assembly for these guys on Shapeways...

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    So, these Macchis are going to be the first official planes that you can't display without the base, aren't they? I wonder if anyone plans to create a carriage assembly for these guys on Shapeways...
    Truly forward thinking on Ares's part would be to include one in the box.

They are certainly going to need something to support them if we want to film them as landed on water.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    I'm not sure but those floats on each side could do the job if they are low enough.

Attachment 149856

This would work when landed on water but on land you would need a carriage like this one

Name:	Carriage Macchi.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	156479

If anyone visits the Italian Air Force Museum at Vigna di Valle could they please find out the angle through which the gun on the front of the Lohner L could traverse.

The Lohner is exhibited hifgh up, photos from above are rare. Here some from the Museum staff:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/in...howtopic=45927

Plane is unarmed, alas.

Very nice and useful pictures Andrea.
    Even when we visited last April we could not get pictures from that angle.
    Rob.

Unless you were are German pilot! ThereThere are several accounts of German pilots landing severely damaged sea planes and flying boats on grass landing strips without further damage to the plane

Clearly they are much stronger than they look, James.

David I will try and find the actual record of the dry landings the Germans performed with damaged sea planes. One account was of an amazing VSL. 12 FEET and he saved the aircraft!

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    Unless you were are German pilot! ThereThere are several accounts of German pilots landing severely damaged sea planes and flying boats on grass landing strips without further damage to the plane
    Basic off-field belly landing technique, really -- try to land as smoothly as possible, instead of dropping like a piano onto a Morris Marina.

IIRC: Post-war, some Dornier Wals had reinforced bellies for takeoffs and landings from ice.

Looks like a delay due to the strike at the ports on the West coast. But I have my order in.

Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Looks like a delay due to the strike at the ports on the West coast. But I have my order in.
    Yeh, I read about this a few days ago. Looks like the Feds are getting involved, finally!
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

That explains that then.
    Thanks chaps. i won't hold my breath.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dan
    Sorties Flown

Dammit wheres these planes? im going into cold turkey!

Just hope that we haven't had the next hot Turkey before we see them Dan.
    And I'm not talking Thanksgiving.
    Rob.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WW I Series 1 planes for sale
    By Willi Von Klugermann in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 08:03
  2. Series 3 WWII Planes
    By Bartman in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 09:29
  3. WTB: Series 3 Planes
    By sparty in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds