Ares Games

Thread: AAR OTT the final months Mission 7 Hunter in the Sky

Default AAR OTT the final months Mission 7 Hunter in the Sky

Weber ace

Vs
    Curtis ace ,Ac Pilot 1, DGC 1

The sky was clear , blue and cloudless, and with a slight tailwind Ron Curtis was making good time over the Channel. The troop ships heading to France were clearly visible 10000mts below his new SE5A. It had been a most pleasant 4 days in Blighty collecting and modifying his new plane “ You keep breaking them too frequently Curtis” the CO had said, “Perhaps if you have to go and collect a new one you might take more care of it Eh? Off you go now like a good chap and while you are there could you fetch me a few things, I’ve made a list.”

He handed Ron an envelope, together with the necessary paperwork for his trip back to England which Curtis took and placed carefully in his top pocket.

“ Back for Tuesday please, rumour has it there is another push on the way and we are to be part of the air cover, and Mums the word about the supplies”
    “Yes Sir” Ron replied.

It had been a tight squeeze getting the crates into the plane but he managed to arrange the contents around cockpit, making sure the well wrapped bottles didn’t clink together too much for the trip home.

Ron smiled to himself. Nice of the CO to trust him with his finest “supplies”
    Crossing the French coast Curtis saw the picturesque town of Deauville stretched out below him. Not far now he thought. Then for no reason he felt a shiver run though his body as if someone had , as his Mother had often said, walked over his grave.
    He scanned ahead but saw nothing, then glancing to his right he saw a Hun scout slightly higher and coming in fast. Without thinking he opened up the SE5 and powered ahead ready to Immel and get a look at the perusing Hun .
    The foe took up the chase.

Ron pulled his plane over and side slipped into his opponent’s flight. Both pilots guns blazed, bullets hitting home on both planes , Ron’s gun stuttered as if about to jam, but a swift blow to the breach solved the problem.

Ron threw his crate into a hard left turn to get on the Yellow Albatross, but the pilot was no novice and turned left as well maintaining distance from his enemy.
    “Holy **** That’s Webers markings” muttered Ron “What’s he doing here? To late to worry now just got to keep on his tail and get out alive”

Keeping his turns tight Ron begins to cut down the distance on the
    Ace and after a minute or 2 he finds himself on Webers left wing.and opened upwith a steady stream of bullets (2+fire) passing behind the now flaming Albatross.

At this point I diced for Weber to play his Luck Git skill 1-3 on D6 reject the card Threw 5

Weber begins to bank left with Curtis still on his tail , but the Ace shows his skill and out turns Curtis who has overshot his enemy by a mile.

Forced to Immel Ron looses all the advantage he had over his opponent and is now facing Weber who has swung round to meet him.

With the fire on the Albatross out Weber turns and gets a close range shot at the SE5 as it side slips . Ron feels his rudder go slack ( 0, 2+RRD)

Cold sweat trickles down Rons Neck and the premonition of the shiver he felt early makes his stomach turn. Trying to escape from Weber he gets caught in the sights of the ace who shreds His rudder a second time (2+LRJ,0)

Ron Immels , Weber turns and they find themselves at right angle to each other Firing at . short range Webber hits Rons tail for a third time
    (1+LRJ,1) but Ron makes his bullet count (0,4) (Weber discards the 4pts card)

Weber turns for his lines Curtis with his rudder damaged and sluggish Immels after Weber and begins to chase what he thinks to be a badly damaged Hun.
    Then Weber springs his trap, Immeling he heads straight for Curtis and passes his firing as he goes, but wildly off the mark (0). Rons shots punch another series of holes in Webers plane(1)

Each pilot begins their turn, Ron going tight right, Weber left Curtis gets guns on first and riddles the Albatross from nose to tail (4)

This time Weber is in real trouble (dice for morale due to damageof12pts) and goes for broke for his lines. Curtis is badly positioned to pursue the Ace who puts maximum distance between himself and his foe dipping his wings in recognition of a worthy pilot.

Result

Both pilots survive to fight another day

Dice shows the +1 bonus for Weber. If he had got more shots on Curtis it might have been a different matter
    I didnt add any other Ace abilities to Ron as I wanted it to be a true test of his abilities on the day and he flies to fight another mission as a result.

Nice simple game with endless posibilitie.

Ps No "supplies "damaged in the encounter Mr Kyte Sir
    Last edited by flash; 09-18-2013 at 00:50.

Lovely, nice and tight AAR. Well done to both protagonists who each gave as good as they got.

Short & sweet, both pilots worthy of each other, & live to fight on. I like the blue nose Se5a. I built one in American markings recently, which you'll be seeing soon...

Weber threw the gauntlet down and Curtis picked it up. An honorable clash between the knights of the sky. Could have gone either way. Great AAR Paul.

Thumbs up

Great "Ace" battle there Paul.
    Glad the 'supplies" got over safely or there might have been some big explaining to do!

Great job Paul, honours even in the end but a gripping encounter that could have gone either way
    PS I edited the title - mission 7 old bean !

Ps No "supplies "damaged in the encounter Mr Kyte Sir

Glad to hear it young Curtis. I did not send you to Blighty just to get mixed up with another Hun, and jeopardise all my supplies.
    It's a good job Gin travels well after all that Immelmanning and stunting. The Port will take weeks to settle.
    Well done on giving Weber such a hard time. You nearly had him. I suppose if it had not been for all the extra weight you were carrying.............. But not to worry about that, at least you got this plane home in one piece.
    See you in the Mess tonight.
    Kyte.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Great job Paul, honours even in the end but a gripping encounter that could have gone either way
    PS I edited the title - mission 7 old bean !
    Doh Stupid brain

It seems we are in the same boat with the mission outcome, Paul, although it's you who fended off the ace Congrats!
    It was an interesting die-dependent discarding mechanism, however risky for the ace If I were Weber I would have discarded the fire card
    By the way: how many fire-damage points did he get?

A total of 5 Andy , you can just make out the fire token in the damage photo. I thought dicing was the fairest way to do the LG card. If it had been me i would have chosen the 0pts card

Great AAR, Paul.

The story and the fight were challenging.

Especially the first two pictures were full of atmosphere in my opinion. Nice!

Curtis held the line.

Well done, Paul. I liked how you incorporated the coastal mat features into your story - very nice.

Your pilot fought well.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 19:05
  2. AAR The Final Month Mission 7 - The Hunter in the Skies! 2.0
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 18:55
  3. BRF The Final Month Mission 7: The Hunter in the Skies! 2.0 (Briefing)
    By Marechallannes in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12-02-2013, 00:55
  4. AAR OTT the Final Months Mission 1 Where are We?
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 11:40
  5. AAR Mission 1: OTT The Final Months. Where are we?
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 00:14