Ares Games

Thread: Bomber Factory Begins!

Default Bomber Factory Begins!

Mrs Clipper has abandoned me for a 5 week grandbaby tour of duty and she left no "honey do" list! What will I do? I have stocked up on WWII movies and building supplies! With a stack of wood and plans aplenty, the game is afoot!

The game plan is 12 each . . . B-17s and B-24s. Stage 1, patterns, check!

Stage 2 Start movie, trace parts, check!

I look forward to seeing your progress! Looks good so far...

What do the Elves think about the extra time???

Silly, they are a-temporal and bi-polar! As long as the windows have snow painted on them and the compass is hidden they think Christmas is still coming . . .

Um, you DO know we've got B-17s coming from Ares, right? LOL Also, the Model Power "Postage Stamp" B-29 is supposedly bang-on 1/200.

I have great confidence in the Ares models arriving someday, but waiting is not my thing. Besides the B-24's are still out there, maybe. I am not getting any younger either and the game seems a bit adrift at the moment out here in the west . . . gotta play while you can, that's my thing : ) Just finished the tracings for 12 of each onto the wood whilst listening to "Battleship" might have been a good movie, but who watches when the elves are working? Tomorrow we awaken the bandsaw! Glorious dust everywhere!

Parts are ready to cut out, wish I had invested in a laser machine, but elves are much less expensive . . .

Lottsa bits . . .

That sure looks like a lot of concentrated cutting to me Dave.
    Watch your fingers.
    Rob.

Look forward to seeing the finished resuly Clipper.

We would have won both wars a hell of a lot quicker with you and the Elves at the helm David. Can't wait to see the progress.

The average scratch build WWI biplane has around 15-20 pieces, the typical WWII fighter maybe 6, bomber maybe 10. You can begin to see why a dozen is no big deal . . . I am finding the 1/200" scale bits a bit harder to find in the debris field of building . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    The average scratch build WWI biplane has around 15-20 pieces, the typical WWII fighter maybe 6, bomber maybe 10. You can begin to see why a dozen is no big deal . . . I am finding the 1/200" scale bits a bit harder to find in the debris field of building . . .

lol my god clipper what a mess Would love to have the same luck but if my wife sees something like that i go MIA for sure

Congrats on that work
    Last edited by Antabires; 09-17-2013 at 14:10. Reason: missing word :)

That's what I like to see Dave, a busy active workshop.
    However, I do think that the Elves have let things go a bit.
    Rob.

An hour at the bandsaw and another on the sander . . . fuselages!

Then the wings get some attention . . .

Now onto the shaping!

This just in: Sudden shortage in bass- balsa wood appears elf related!

I have an eye on this project.

Are those B24s for sale, like the WW I bombers?

Something to lull the Elves to sleep... and give ideas about He 177 cammo schemes. I see a few of those being made.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_17.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	111070

Name:	2_4.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	111071

Name:	2_11.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	111072

Name:	2_8.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	111073

Name:	2_8_a1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	111074

The video has a disturbing incongruence between the music and the subject matter. Very interesting.
    BTW: the version at min:3:35 has a rather enlarged ventral bay with a really big gun. Any idea what the spec is on it?
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    BTW: the version at min:3:35 has a rather enlarged ventral bay with a really big gun. Any idea what the spec is on it?
    Karl
    Suspect it might be this (from Wiki);

He 177 A-3/R5
    Planned, never-built Stalingradtyp version armed with a 75 mm Bordkanone BK 7,5 cannon based on the 7.5 cm PaK 40 installed in the ventral Bola gondola, also used on the Junkers Ju 88 P-1, based on a small number of 177As actually field-equipped as A-3/Rüstsatz 5 machines, with the KwK 39-based Bordkanone BK 5 cannon.

Boy, what some people will try just because they have the parts lying around.
    Karl

So Zoe, which color do you want on yours?

CLIPPER!!!!

4:55 summarizes how the *crews* felt.... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    CLIPPER!!!!
    I suppose I could make it clear varnish then . . . but I fancy the striped spinners myself . . .

With the Midway project at a break, the Bomber effort is getting moved back into production . . .

Fuselage carving! Yea! Cut the corners first then the minor corners

Then the final time to make things roundish, move onto the wings, tapers were sanded in with the belt sander, leading edges taking shape

The He 117 has side fairings for the engine nacelles that I decided to make from the wing blank

Carving is fun!

With the Midway project at a break, the Bomber effort is getting moved back into production . . .
    Mrs. Clipper wanted the kitchen table back?
    Seriously, I don't how you manage to do this.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Wow! Sadly you might have married the wrong person, Mrs Clipper's Dining room:

SWMBO has blessed the dining room table for years as a place eat and play . . . her table has seen the rise of countless aircraft over 37 years of marriage and many games, parties and Zeppelin launchings!

And my fave!

Nothing says home like a fleet of fresh Zeppelins! Time to thank Mrs Clipper for her amazing love and patience . . .

Mrs Clipper is indeed to be cherished. Not many other SWMBOs would be as gracious as that.
    I give you Mrs Clipper.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Mrs Clipper is indeed to be cherished. Not many other SWMBOs would be as gracious as that.
    I give you Mrs Clipper.
    Kyte.
    I'll second the sentiment and the toast
    Clipper; you have a much bigger space than my kitchen and dining room combined. Hence my lack of production.
    (Yeh, that sounds right. no need to mention the "L" word )
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Working the elves in shifts, here the He 177 team gets their bits ready for an evening of sanding next

Meanwhile the B-24 team is just finishing the fuselage carving and they too are about to engage in the sanding sequence

However team B-17 seems to be napping . . .

Faster I say faster my minions! The bombers must be finished before Christmas gets here and the big red clothed guy arrives!

Faster I say faster my minions! The bombers must be finished before Christmas gets here and the big red clothed guy arrives!
    So you regularly receive visits from Satan? No wonder you're so productive. ;)

"Clipper -- not so much 'fast' as 'Faust'...."

I meant "Santa" not Satan! Wow! Gotta be more specific!

I hope you have a fireplace because there is a lot of kindling around. Or maybe you could start a cottage industry (additional income) of selling the scrapings. As always awesome job.

Silly me. I thought you were building a scale bomber factory as a mission target.

I meant "Santa" not Satan! Wow! Gotta be more specific!
    "Red-suited anthropomorphic personification of Good vs. Red-suited anthropomorphic personification of Evil...." [MST3K]

Did you hear the one about the dyslexic Satanist? He sold his soul to Santa...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Did you hear the one about the dyslexic Satanist? He sold his soul to Santa...
    Maybe that's where his elves come from!
    A productive afterlife, at least.
    Karl

Clippers skill

Don't know why these guys got ahead of the Allies, but they did!

And we cannot forget the little friends . . .

Reworked little friends

And a sneak look at the big German guys . . .

Can't wait!

The He 177's are set free!

More details on the He 177 thread . . .

Where will your flight of fancy take you to next then Dave?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Defending the Doughnut Factory
    By ptownhiker in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 08:35
  2. WSF Factory Fresh - DH.2 and FE.2b
    By jbmacek in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-11-2012, 02:22
  3. KR Multicase - USA factory
    By KaiserRushforth in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2