Ares Games

Thread: New WWI ground forces

Default New WWI ground forces

If anyone uses 1/144 figures with their WWI aircraft Kallistra is bringing out a new range of early WWI figures this weekend at Colours.
    http://www.kallistra.co.uk/?page=113

Thanks nice line of minis

This is exciting news. These could make for interesting WoG scenarios, especially at scrambles and cons, let alone using them for typical WWI infantry battles. Thanks for posting.

I am going to Colours tomorrow I will have a look at the figures and see how they look.

If only someone would do proper period ground crew and standing pilots.
    Rob.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    If only someone would do proper period ground crew and standing pilots.
    Rob.
    Now that would be welcome!

Interesting...I'd been thinking lately it would be neat to run a WWI ground game as well as WoG to determine the overall course of the war.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Interesting...I'd been thinking lately it would be neat to run a WWI ground game as well as WoG to determine the overall course of the war.
    That would be ill advised... there is no way to simulate the level of stupidity of the politicians and generals of that war, of every participating nation state.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    That would be ill advised... there is no way to simulate the level of stupidity of the politicians and generals of that war, of every participating nation state.
    Not suggesting a realistic simulation, just think it would make a fun campaign, with an overall "winner" of the war. It's more than I'm willing to tackle anyway, but I think it's a fun idea for "maybe someday".

Scrounge up a copy of S&T 51 with a copy of the WW1 game in it. Fairly simplified but more accurate version that can be played in 2 to 3 hours.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5297/world-war-i

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Scrounge up a copy of S&T 51 with a copy of the WW1 game in it. Fairly simplified but more accurate version that can be played in 2 to 3 hours.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5297/world-war-i
    Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it's due for a reprint too. I'd considered a smaller scale, like doing the individual battles as well. Any thoughts on this game, which looks like what I'd want?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7...es-wwi-tactics

I had that game, very easy to learn and play on a strategic level.
    It helped show why the Dardanelles was tried and the whole system was of attrition

First days of the war before it bogged down into stalemate hardly ever gets a showing at shows. Its always trench raids et al.

I have some of the Kallistra American Civil War figures and they are real beauties! Definitely 12mm in height, so they will not blend well with the more common 10mm ranges out there (like Pendraken). I have a few close up pictures on my 12mm Civil War blog (which I have done nothing with for months...no time for painting!).

The ground action on the Western Front, in-conjunction with combat aircraft, does not appeal to me. And while the Eastern and Balkan Fronts were more fluid, I do not want to do the air forces in those theaters. So I think I will stick with Wings of War/Glory!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it's due for a reprint too. I'd considered a smaller scale, like doing the individual battles as well. Any thoughts on this game, which looks like what I'd want?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7...es-wwi-tactics
    Interesting, and might be playable once or twice. Therefore not worth buying, would recommend finding a friend who has purchased it and let him/her interest you into playing it. As far as using as substitute for full size battles of hundreds of thousands of people, not so much. David & Goliath scenarios rarely affect modern wars.

Pretty much, as the first week was mainly mobilization. I cannot feel the need to simulate millions of men reporting to depots, forming up, boarding trains and moving to their mobilization points. Then as forces filled up to war strength and began operations, the scout forces do the fast movement to contact. And we see the grand sweep of Plan 7 and the Schlieffen Plan, either of which might have worked if either side had general officers able to lead a squad to a whore house instead of strict timetable, no initiative and no ability to innovate on the one side, and Revanche! on the other. Maybe if you shot or retired every officer over 30 on both sides we might have had a war that ended by christmas 1914. Naw, then we had the really dumb politicians on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    First days of the war before it bogged down into stalemate hardly ever gets a showing at shows. Its always trench raids et al.

None of those covers the sea battles. The CP are doomed unless they can get to open ocean; otherwise, even with rail, they won't be able to keep the machinery running.

Similar Missions

1. Building Comparable Forces
    By StormDragon275 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-22-2014, 08:36
  2. Armed Forces Day.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2013, 11:44
  3. UK Armed Forces Day
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 5