Ares Games

Thread: What kind of a contest for the new revised Deluxe Set?

Default What kind of a contest for the new revised Deluxe Set?

Okay fellow pilots, I would like to hold a contest in order to give away one of the new revised WWI Deluxe Sets.

In the past we have done repaints, custom missions, and custom user profiles. Any thoughts on what we can do this time?

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Multi-part Scenarios. I've got one ready that is SURE to win. And I really want a revised deluxe set!

What about doing a straight 'build & paint' competition?
    Last edited by Khargor; 07-02-2010 at 04:19. Reason: Didn't make sense originally!

Or scratchbuild a plane not commercially available (in plastic, metal or resin)?
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Some great ideas guys. I'd like to try and keep this in reach of most of the users out there, so I'd be hesitant to have a scratch building contest... not something even I could do really

How about a photograph contest? Photo that best illustrates the game? Or captures the imagination for tabletop aerial war-gaming? Could also generate a lot eye candy for the site as a by product as well. (What a great idea he thinks, and pats himself on the back.)

Not a bad idea at all! As a photographer, this really appeals to me. Seeing how it is for the new Deluxe Set, which is a pretty big prize, I might just combine a few of these ideas!

I'd like to try and keep this in reach of most of the users out there,
    If its not too hard to do I'm hoping to get my wargaming club students involved - will it be alright for the juniors (aged between 11-13) to take part? They're pretty sensible and regularly lurk at this forum now but I've asked them not to register just yet until I've checked if there is a minimum age limit

Shaun, there is no minimum age to join the site. However, 13 and under requires for their parents to consent (my rule). Seeing as how they are your students, if they put you (using your user name) as the referrer, I can go ahead and push their accounts though.

And by all means, if they register on the site, they can take part!

13 and under
    Well that poo-poos my idea of a pimms drinking contest....

Well that poo-poos my idea of a pimms drinking contest....
    I don't know - I bet there's plenty of young kids that could probably out-drink a lot of us!

You are of course correct Mr Shaun, but how many know when it's "Pimms o'clock"??

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jared
    Sorties Flown

I like the Idea of a repaints contest.

How about these paper planes that are available. See who can produce the best diorama using these. They would not cost a mint, and would be a challenge even to the school children in Shaun's club.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Best image from a PbEM battle?

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Best World War One Moustache?

Tough one for the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by Won Wing Lo
    Tough one for the ladies.
    You've obviously not seen some of the local "Ladies" from these parts....

Quote Originally Posted by Khargor View Post
    I don't know - I bet there's plenty of young kids that could probably out-drink a lot of us!:eek:
    Some of us [cough] can't drink alcohol.... :P

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matias
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz67 View Post
    You've obviously not seen some of the local "Ladies" from these parts....

Omg....

The repaint sounds good for me..

Thumbs up Photo contest

I like the idea of a photo contest. Most people have a digital camera. Heck they build digital cameras into every cell phone and probably rolls of toilet paper now-a-days.

I think the photo contest gives everyone a chance. Personally, my craft abilities -- painting or building -- can be outdone by any 6 year old and probably a few five year olds.

Timmy

I will be doing a repaint contest, but not for the Deluxe Set. One of our members was nice enough to donate a couple of hard to find minis!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte
    How about these paper planes that are available
    I like this idea, it's cheap and cheerful! Everyone could play.
    And rather than a "repaint" why not paint them in a scheme thats not been used before?
    Get peoples creative juices flowing, winner(s) would be the aircraft with the most "fitting" look for 1914-18. Everyone would use the same aircraft.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Kuijt
    Sorties Flown

Being a respectful contrarian, I would like to point out that some of the suggestions on this thread have missed the mark.

A good competition must walk the line between exclusion and inclusion.

You cannot be fully inclusive -- a competition that includes everyone, where everyone has an equal chance, isn't a competition at all, it is a raffle.

The objective of a competition, in this little universe, is to encourage and reward commendable behavior and performance. Whatever aspect of commendable behavior and performance the Col. desires to reward.

There are many aspects of this hobby-game worth commendation. Some people do repaints. Some people design scenarios. Some people run PbEM campaigns. Some people create interesting house rules. Some people fold paper airplanes. Some people create new rules to represent (in a realistic and interesting way) aircraft that are not currently in the system. Some people grow WWI moustaches. Some people write after-action reports to cast their battles in the mold of historical accounts. For all I know, some people have bought WWI Flying Kit and walk around in it on Sunday Mornings, saying "Good Show," "I say," and "Bully!"

But not everyone does all those things.

And a good competition should encourage people to expand their hobby participation (into that particular aspect), as well as rewarding someone for particularly effective/artistic/enthusiastic/psychotic achievement in it.

Of its very nature, that implies some exclusion -- for if everyone already does activity X, then making that the competition activity is discarding the opportunity to encourage fun and appropriate activity.

So I put to you that the best choice would be something with an element of exclusiveness -- where not everyone does it. Sure, some will not participate -- but the Col. will have other competitions later, I am sure. Different ones, that effect a different pool of people.

If all activities were equally laudable (and they are not -- picking bellybutton lint is not as appropriate, in this context, as designing and making available a new squadron decal set) then the best competition would be the one that increases participation in that hobby aspect the most (i.e., creates the most NEW participants in that aspect). Since some activities are better than others, that should be factored in as well.

Okay, time for me to shut up. I need to go and check the UPS tracking number on my Flight of the Giants box. It might have changed from last hour.

I like the photo contest idea best( even though I think I'm the only one on the site without a digtal camara), but a close second would be the belly button lint picking idea. Would we mail in the actual lint or just photos?

Photo Contest. Images that have appeal and represent the represent the game.

NeilCFord

I'd be for a photo contest too, seeing as I have zero modelling skill

- Neil.

PbEM drinking contest?

No? OK then, I'd go for a photo contest.

Pbem drinking contest!!! Now there is a thought.I wonder if I can get my Pimms down the broadband? Photo contest sounds good to me as well.

My vote would be in the area of one of the following:

(1) Best Photo capturing essense of the game.
    (2) Best Poster to advertise the game and attract new interest.
    (3) Best multi-plane single evening scenario. (Unique and engaging).

Keep the ideas coming guys. I'm going to be announcing 3 new contest this coming week... so I need 3 good ideas!

Lightbulb Best new aerodrome product

As someone who just placed my second order for aerodrome accessories, how about a contest for who can provide the best new product idea. The top 4 or 5 could be chosen by the colonel and the winner chosen by poll.

This idea helps the site by winnowing out a product that will hopefully sell well and provide funds to keep the site up and running.

In case this idea totally sucks I will try to think of some more.

Timmy

Lightbulb Biggest battle

Another idea -- also may suck, but here goes.

How about the biggest battle set up during the specified time of the contest. The winner would have to prove how many pilots were present and playing.

Pros:
    Creates enthusiasm for the game and possibly introduces new flyers expanding our base of game fans.

Cons:
    Difficult to pull off in rural areas where there are not a lot of players. For Example, our British friends my be able to pull off quite a few pilots at any event after a couple of train connections, where their commonwealth brothers the Canadians may have to be driving for 28 hours to get to the closest game

I said I would provide ideas, I didn't say they would be good.

We could always fall back on the belly button lint that most closely resembles Boelcke.

Timmy

How about a contest where we have to keep a thread on topic for more than 4 posts...... nah, it'd never work

I say repaints for the Deluxe Set and the other one Col. Hajj has in mind.

Users Country Flag

Name
    ERIN
    Sorties Flown

I like the Photo idea for several reasons.

As a medium, almost everyone can get access to a digital device to take the photo.

Those that cannot participate for many reasons, still do in that they get to enjoy the results.

Members of all ages, genders, walks of life and skill levels can participate.

Photographs are worth a thousand words goes without saying.....Hmmmm, deep.

The contest management is much easier and voting could be done by many.

That's my two cents....

I like the repaint idea just so I can be inspired by all the great work you guys produce.
    How about a contest for objectives, crashed plane, aerdrome, trench lines, etc..?

1. Best new range stick designs.

2. Best house rule.

Okay, the 3 contest have been chosen and posted in the contest section!

I really liked some of the other ideas and will being using them in future contests, so thanks to everyone that suggested one!

Similar Missions

1. WGF: Revised Deluxe Edition
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 296
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 03:51
  2. question about deluxe set
    By Galland in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2010, 09:30
  3. WW1 deluxe set
    By ff151 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 30