Ares Games

Thread: Over Diving:

Default Over Diving:

Originaly posted by strawman in the WW2 section.

Diving; A radical proposiotion; strawman
    When diving the aircraft can combine the dive with either a straight or a turn card in the same manoeuvre.
    Case 1) The aircraft can carry out a straight or a turn card at any speed immediately followed by the dive card. In this case draw an 'A' damage chit for every four existing damage chits (of any colour)
    Case 1a) The aircraft can carry out a dive followed by a fast straight with damage as above.
    Case 2) The aircraft can carry out a dive followed by a fast turn card. In this case automatically draw an 'A' damage chit and a 'B' damage chit for every for every four existing damage chits (of any colour)

Damage taken in this way ignores any special damage and counts the damage number only.
    For WW1:

When an aircraft that was known to have structural problems performs an over-dive employ all of the following:
    a. Draw a B damage card at the end of the over-dive for every 4 points of damage, don't count fire, pilot wounded or smoke only damage points. All other special damage cards apply.
    b. If on fire and the aircraft still has fire tokens draw an additional B damage card.

Sounds good Neil, but I'm not sure about the extra fire bit. If overdive is considered good for extinguishing fire surely it should at least dampen down any conflagration, even if it can't extinguish it, not add to the fire?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Sounds good Neil, but I'm not sure about the extra fire bit. If overdive is considered good for extinguishing fire surely it should at least dampen down any conflagration, even if it can't extinguish it, not add to the fire?
    Rob.
    I agree with Rob. I'd, also, drop the fire bit.
    In addition, IMHO there should be a risk with planes with 'weak wings' even before there is damage.
    Last edited by Nicola Zee; 09-11-2013 at 00:58. Reason: Clarity

I'd go with Nicolas point that you should draw a card even if there is no damage to the aircraft - it's a structural thing not reliant on damage, though clearly that could possibly make it worse !
    Can see what you're trying to get to with the fire thing - I think - it's not extra fire damage caused by the fire but structural damage on fire weakened parts caused by the manoeuvre. In which case I'd suggest you load that on to any fire damaged aircraft as well as those still burning.

Yep thought on tis one and thought about just taking special damage into consideration not damage points.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'd go with Nicolas point that you should draw a card even if there is no damage to the aircraft - it's a structural thing not reliant on damage, though clearly that could possibly make it worse !
    Can see what you're trying to get to with the fire thing - I think - it's not extra fire damage caused by the fire but structural damage on fire weakened parts caused by the manoeuvre. In which case I'd suggest you load that on to any fire damaged aircraft as well as those still burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Yep thought on tis one and thought about just taking special damage into consideration not damage points.
    Just a suggestion if you want to take structural damage into account - how about the following?
    If a plane has more than half damage, do an additional test as well.

But poor Toughness 12 Nieuport is already weak-weak... Have mercy on his wings!

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    But poor Toughness 12 Nieuport is already weak-weak... Have mercy on his wings!
    But, on the other hand it makes the Albatros Dva a bit more attractive and there were a lot of these that flew in combat.

Similar Missions

1. Diving speed
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 16:54
  2. Diving Speed
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 22:09
  3. Stuka diving...
    By Max Headroom in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 19