Default Albatros DII

Hmmmm...whose could this be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1272.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	243.9 KB 
ID:	108039

Doug

Red Baron's when he scored his first (confirmed) victory?

I guess another answer is 'Yours'

Wayne, your second answer was correct, the first unfortunately not. The Red Baron would have flown in company with this pilot, but that would have been before he was known as the Red Baron. Any other guesses in the meantime? While you think about it, here are some more pics. Another clue is the location and form of engine cooling.

Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1267.JPG   DSCN1270.JPG   DSCN1269.JPG   DSCN1268.JPG   DSCN1265.JPG  

DSCN1273.JPG   DSCN1274.JPG  
    Last edited by georgerutherfor; 09-05-2013 at 05:33. Reason: More pics!

My guess too, Oswald Boelcke.

Could it be anyone other than Boelcke. Without being able to read the serial number it is anyones guess.
    Rob.

Confirmed from my Osprey; Oswld Boelcke's Albatross DII tail number was indeed D386/16. (page 66, picture 5).

What models are they ?

Oswald Boelcke is correct! This is D386/16, one of the very first DIIs made, and interestingly enough it was made with a wing-mounted radiator (other early DIIs seem to have kept the "ear" radiators - I actually messed that up when first making this, my printout still had the outlines of where to attach the ear radiators, so I had to reprint that part.

The fuselage may be a bit too "yellow," but this was a bit of a homage to Dan San Abbott, from whose glorious CD I did my color scheme. The model itself is from a 1/72 card model of the Albatros DI by Eric Johnson, sold through der Kampfflieger's website. I put it into Inkscape, made a vector model of it, rescaled it, added the n shaped center struts, and then did my re-color. I have another DI printed out and cut out, just need to get the time to build it. Eric's kits work great when scaled down into our scale. I also have his models of the Airco DH4, the DH5, the Sopwith Pup, the AEG CIV, and a Sopwith Triplane. The DH4 I already have made into vector format, at some point I need to do so to the Pup, as it is one that is really missing.

Doug

Really nice and so well rendered, my praise on your model & colours, nice one

Beautiful DII.
    I'm trying to get my hands on a paper DII and I guess that this is the one.

It's cool you can do all this scale up scale down and printing well done .

The lines & the print are so crisp & clean. I am seriously jealous. Well done sir.

Thanks guys for the comments, Blackronin I suppose I should check with der Kampfflieger sometime to see if he would accept a redraw of this Alb for his online store, I assume he has the rights to it because he is the one I originally got it from. In the meantime, I know we have some Ares Alb IIs coming to us hopefully in the next month or so, including this very plane. I hope the production models look as good as the preview shots we have seen, I think they really nailed the look of the nose much better than the poor Alb DV.

Doug

I tried to find a D.II but I only found 1/33 scale. A scale too big to reduced it to 1/144.
    Must keep looking.

Similar Missions

1. Albatros DRI
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-22-2013, 16:45
  2. Albatros W.4
    By David Manley in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 09:10
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 13:45