Ares Games

Thread: B-25 pictures

Default B-25 pictures

For those of you fielding B-25, here's a link to the photographs I took back in 2010 during the Dolittle Raider reunion held at the National Museum of the US Air Force in Dayton, Ohio.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=2514

Enjoy!

Going out on a limb here: The B-25 was the best overall twin-engine bomber of the war. The Mosquito gets all the press; but the Mitchell was used everywhere, by everyone, and did just about everything at one time or another.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Going out on a limb here: The B-25 was the best overall twin-engine bomber of the war. The Mosquito gets all the press; but the Mitchell was used everywhere, by everyone, and did just about everything at one time or another.
    I can agree with that. While I personally like the B-26 more, the B-25 was used more widely, so yes.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    I can agree with that. While I personally like the B-26 more, the B-25 was used more widely, so yes.
    Karl
    The Marauder was nice -- but any unit with names like "Baltimore Whore" or "Flying Prostitute" (wings so short, "it had no visible means of support") is going to lose points.

DH98s were effective, and even did a job the B-25 didn't (night fighter); but they were Europe-only; it took a while for Mossies to deploy to the Pacific, and once there, upkeep proved difficult-bordering-on-impossible (high humidity did bad things to the wood, and getting parts for the high-po engines was a nightmare). Not to mention: The Mosquito's preferred "tactic" consisted of "running away really fast".

The Ju88 was nice, as well; but eight of them could not defeat a Short Sunderland on three engines, which illustrates its great failing -- too many guns, none of which could be used together.

The Tupolev Tu-2 comes a very close second to the -25; if the Soviets had shared them with the West, or deployed a few to the Far East before '45, it might well score over the -25. The Petlyakov Pe-2 has the same problem as the Ju88: Hopelessly inadequate firepower for the job.

Thanks for the photos, Ray. I've been fortunate to attend several of the Doolittle Raider events at the NMUSAF. At the 2006 Raider Reunion I attended a book-signing and got a book on the Raid signed by four surviving Raiders (two of whom have since passed). At the 2012 event I watched a dozen B-25s do a fly-over, which was quite a sight (and sound). I've always loved the B-25.

Great set of pictures Ray.
    Thanks for posting them.
    Rob.

Nice pics Ray. Are they still having the last re-union next year or was this year the last?

Thumbs up

Wonderful collection of B-25 Photos Ray especially the Nose Art ones & the close uop of "Devil Dogs" Gun nest!

Similar Missions

1. Pictures from WWII
    By Kermit in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 00:03
  2. 100 pictures for my new "100 pictures uploaded" medal
    By marcoperse in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 08:50
  3. Pictures
    By BobP in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-30-2012, 22:34
  4. Guess where these pictures where taken and for what?
    By Mike George in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 12:51
  5. New pictures from Nuremberg
    By skystalker in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 14:38