Ares Games

Thread: Caquot in paper

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

Default Caquot in paper

I love the idea of balloon strafing -- in fact, the first (and as yet only) set I've purchased is Burning Drachens. I do like to play with miniatures though, but I must confess to some sticker shock for the Balloon Busters set (especially considering I would like at least 3 balloons on the board).

I've been augmenting my plastic miniatures collection with paper, and decided that paper would be be a decent medium for a balloon kit. The trick is, of course, to make it reasonably easy to assemble. I've been working on a Caquot and I have to say it's gone together well. Despite the curvature, it goes together quite easily, especially if you use tape strips on the inside.

The trickiest part is the rigging for the observer's basket. As the model is made of paper, it's quite light, so using thread for rigging doesn't really work, as the basket isn't heavy enough to keep the lines taut.

I'm now considering using paper, but the problem with that is that it will be relatively fragile and may not be as realistic as I would like.

To show you what I mean, here are three pictures.

1. The prototype. You can see the paper lines that I was planning

2. A rapidly knocked together unskinned model with no lines. I think it looks reasonable even given that I took almost no care in the cutting and construction of the model (approximately half an hour). It is a proof of concept after all.

3. The problem with the rigging. I realize the lines are held on with masking tape, but you can see how the thread is too rigid for the basket.

I would welcome your feedback on the issue. I realize that I haven't actually shown a photo of the paper rigging. I actually haven't constructed that yet . . .

Assuming I get a reasonable paper model out of all of this, it will be distributed somewhere at some point. . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails caquot0.jpg   caquot1.jpg   caquot2.jpg  

NeilCFord

Looks great.

Assuming the ballon is mounted level, wouldn't a small weight in the basket not solve the rigging problem? Alternative make the basket out to plastic card to give it some heft.

I'm no craft wiz, but I think I could manage to make a couple of these from some plans. Can't wait to see your finished results.

- Neil.

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

Even with a ball bearing fitting the basket snugly, the weight was insufficient to keep the threads taut at any angle, unfortunately. I suppose I could try and find some lead, but I like to keep paper kits self-contained. Ideally, I'd like to keep the basket empty so that people could place figures inside if desired.

The balloon is at a weird angle because I was trying to balance it on a flying base simply by ramming the base into the model. In reality, I was planning on using a ball bearing on a gimbal mount (although I will offer another option in the completed model).

NeilCFord

In which case then, paper rigging probably is the only way to go.

I will be eagerly following developments.

- Neil.

Very nice! I too love the balloon scenarios, and purchased one BB and will probably purchase another one in a few weeks -- but the cost is prohibitive. I like the direction you are going with this model and would definitely purchase a couple.

Cheers,
    KW

Nice, very nice.

As for your thread how about coating the thread in a layer of glue and leaving it in some form of jig with the threads tight untill the glue dries?

I was also going to suggest coating the thread in white / PVA glue. Another alternative would be to use small gauge stiff wire. This would hold the shape of the rigging and would also allow the whole balloon to be supported with the stand going into the bottom of the basket. That could give you more height with out having a stand going all the way up to the balloon.

Have you thought of replacing the thread with thin binding wire that is used in florists. That would provide a more rigid arrangement for the rigging.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Another option, that howerer might not agree with the aesthetic result you're after, is printing the rigging lines onto clear sheet. The rigging outline is approximately triangular, so if you print something like the shape below and cut off the red parts, it should give the right look. The clear sheet will be visible, but maybe not too distracting.
    best regards
    Aris K.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails rigging.jpg  

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

I tried using both wire and stiffened thread. The problem with both is storage; one kink and the effect is ruined. If I had more space in my place it would undoubtedly be less of a problem.

I will consider acetate, but as a general rule I don't much like needing specialized paper for paper models, so I suspect I will go with paper rigging. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Keep in mind it may be slow; after working at a computer all day, I don't always want to look at a computer in my spare time. . . .

Hi Paul. Good work.

I have successfully used thread to attach the basket to my scratch-built balloons; a lump of lead or a metal nut inside the basket keeps the lines tight.

No need to bust-a-gut finding anything more sophisticated unless ........ you like banging your head against a brick wall too.

Thumbs up Caquot in paper

Paul!

This is an idea to try! Take a piece of clear acrylic rod and separate the bag
    and the basket. That will act as resistance and keep the rigging taut. You could also use it as a flight peg.

Rich

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

That's an interesting idea; I may try that.

Sadly, my major problem is that after looking at a computer all day at work, I find it difficult to motivate myself to do so at home. . .

Paul!

Depending where you live you might be able to find a local supplier for the rod. I have one 5 minutes away and bought a six foot piece for $5.00. It is an approach worth trying. That way you could get the dimension that fits base system you use. I use mainly the Litko and some of the Aerodrome Accessories bases mainly for the WW2 bombers.

Rich

Paul - good effort at avoiding crazy priced balloons - have you tried fishing line for the rigging ? Depending on thickness short lengths remain quite stiff and won't kink easily. They will need painting though.

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Paul!

I am waiting to hear back from a friend on a rigging material! It was designed to use as a telephone or power lines on model railroads. When i find out i will get the product name.

Rich

Paul!

Here is a link to that product it`s called EZ Line!

Rich

http://www.bobeshobbyhouse.com/ezl.html

Name
    Paul
    Sorties Flown

EZ line looks interesting. It works under tension, so the basket and the balloon proper would need separate bases, but it could work.

Paul!
    If you order the smallest diameter line and shortest length you are not out much!

Rich

Similar Missions

1. Free paper buildings in 1/285 scale
    By Roger Wilco in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 08:51
  2. Fiddlers Green Paper Models
    By KirkH in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-26-2009, 12:12
  3. WWi Bomber with Paper Wings?
    By SquadPainter in forum Hobby Room