Ares Games

Thread: Cancon 2014

Default Cancon 2014

I've just put in the application for a WGF participation game for all three days of Cancon 2014.

If anyone wants to run a WGS one as well, I can provide mats, rules, aircraft - everything but my time to organise and run.

Please apply via http://www.cgs.asn.au/index.php/cancon/participation-2

Volunteers to help requested.

3 days of gaming..wow. Wished we had bigger con's over here. 2 days is the max at present. If only swmbo would let me away for a full weekend (well there's always Derby).

I would love to do WGS again but unfortunately I won't be at Cancon next year. The little wingman is starting high school that week so I will be heavily involved with 'Daddy Duty'.

Cancon 2015 is looking good however

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    3 days of gaming..wow. Wished we had bigger con's over here. 2 days is the max at present. If only swmbo would let me away for a full weekend (well there's always Derby).
    There are big cons, and at about the same distance for many. Why, London's only 500km away from you. London Kings Cross to Newcastle is what, 3 hours? Less time than the bus from Canberra to Sydney (but probably a lot more expensive).

150 quid... one way.. ouch. Call it 5 times the price. Plus the cost of getting from Newcastle to your actual residence.

Cancon is scheduled for the Australia Day Long Weekend. Sort of like August Bank Holiday Monday, if I recall my UK holidays correctly. But maybe they've changed it in the 45 years since I lived there.

It's not the travel or the distance its the damage to the wallet, train fair, petrol, hotel. Then what would I have left to buy aircraft with? Triples was just about right. 2.5 hour drive each way and I got the full weekend in. I'm just narked that the shows up this end of the country are one day only. We need a two day event.

I'll wait until my daughter moves back to London then its a lovely excuse to visit.."oh and by the way dear (swmbo) there's a convention on, can I just pop in?". but I think I might just be..

I am interested Zoe. I enjoyed Wintercon. :-)

Smile

Hi Zoe!
    If all goes to plan I will be there all three days. Intend to share accommodation with Halvo & the boys as we did last year.
    I could probably do a WW2 participation game & I still have Carl's Island mat.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Hi Zoe!
    If all goes to plan I will be there all three days. Intend to share accommodation with Halvo & the boys as we did last year.
    Good one Barry, I hope you can make it. It will be tough reading your AARs and not being part of the action.

Hi Zoe!
    Good one Barry, I hope you can make it. It will be tough reading your AARs and not being part of the action.

G'day, Zoe.

I can make it for at least one, two maximum (unless I want to be suddenly single again). I'll confirm which days ASAP.

Neil, come down for CANCON! Bring the family (big brownie points from the home front) and let them loose in Canberra for three days- there's plenty to see there and most of the Canberrans are down here on the coast, so the Canberra roads are at their safest . Add a couple of days lazing on a beach somewhere and the family won't want to whinge over your three-day gaming convention.

Cheers.

Dal.

I am happy to help out for a morning here or an afternoon there.

I usually play DBA at Cancon, but as they're having another 2 day competition I'll give it a miss - I played last year and while I do enjoy the game two straight days is a bit much for me. This means my time should be freed up a bit for WoG - in between family duties as well, of course.

I've been known to DBA or Big Battle DBA at Cancon myself... but the last time I did I saw this neat game called "Wings of War" with very reasonably priced aircraft models, so thought I'd get one or two. No more than one of each type....

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    I've been known to DBA or Big Battle DBA at Cancon myself... but the last time I did I saw this neat game called "Wings of War" with very reasonably priced aircraft models, so thought I'd get one or two. No more than one of each type....
    Famous "last words" of virtually everyone on this Forum!

All the space is allocated, so if you were going to do a WGS game, sorry, too late.

Question

All the space is allocated, so if you were going to do a WGS game, sorry, too late.
    Oh Bugger!
    Maybe I could do one each day while you have a rest?

Oh Bugger!
    Maybe I could do one each day while you have a rest?
    Good Idea Oh Lord

The Blurb is up on the Website:

Wings of Glory
    Curse you, Red Baron!
    Wings of Glory is an Internationally Award-Winning game of Air Combat in the First and Second World Wars
    This Participation game is open to all, with new aircraft appearing whenever new players wish to join. There is no limit to the number of players, and over 100 have played simultaneously in games overseas.
    Rules are simple to learn, and novices can start playing after watching for a minute or two – there are experts who will be happy to guide you in the rules for movement and firing.
    Each player is the pilot of one aircraft, ranging from the fragile prototypes of 1915, to the ancestors of today’s fighting aircraft in 1919.
    There will be three sessions per day, covering the Great War in the Air in 1916, 1917 and 1918 respectively.
    You may even face the dreaded Red Baron and Von Richthofen’s “Flying Circus”… and if you’re lucky, survive.
    There will also be intermission games set in WWII, with Spitfires vs Messerschmitts in the Battle of Britain, and Australian P-40s vs Japanese Zeros in the defence of Northern Australia.

I'll be there for at least one day, Zoe. Any aircraft in particular you'd like to see/not see?

Dal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dal Gavan View Post
    I'll be there for at least one day, Zoe. Any aircraft in particular you'd like to see/not see?

Dal.
    I think I may have enough - maybe a few more spitfires bf109s etc but even then I'm doing well.

No help there, sorry. The only WWII stuff I have is a 30SQN Beaufighter and a 75SQN P-40E.

Quote Originally Posted by Dal Gavan View Post
    No help there, sorry. The only WWII stuff I have is a 30SQN Beaufighter and a 75SQN P-40E.
    Well, the P-40 might be useful. Bring them both - we'll see on the day how many will want to do Pacific War scenarios.

Smile

Hi Zoe! I have 5 Wildcats, 4 Zero's, 2 Mitsubishi, 2 Vals & 2 P-40's for a replay of my Midway Atoll game. Plus 2 Beaus & a Mitchell.

Sorry no B of B Aircraft as I am concentrating on the Pacific.
    I should be able to borrow some War at Sea models from Col for a Bismark Sea game & I have suitable mats for both scenarios.

Well, the P-40 might be useful. Bring them both - we'll see on the day how many will want to do Pacific War scenarios.
    Will do, mate.

I am sure to be there for some of the days some of the time (subject to family commitments).

I hope to be able to join in a session or two over the weekend.

Question So Who is coming?

With Christmas coming like a Freight Train thought it might be time to check just who intends to come to Cancon in 2014?

I have offered to give Zoe a break when she feels like one & will do a demo WW2 game in that time. Will also be there all 3 days to help Zoe with WW1.

If you are able to attend can you please indicate which days & at what level you want to be involved.

I'll be in Canberra again this year for Christmas, staying on for the Cuboree at Camp Cottermouth on the weekend of January 17th... which means that I will be free the following weekend for CanCon! Not sure at this point how much time I'll be able to spend at the Con; things are looking like they will be pretty busy. Pretty sure that my Dad and I will be able to drop in for a game or two, though.

Quote Originally Posted by steel_ratt View Post
    I'll be in Canberra again this year for Christmas, staying on for the Cuboree at Camp Cottermouth on the weekend of January 17th... which means that I will be free the following weekend for CanCon! Not sure at this point how much time I'll be able to spend at the Con; things are looking like they will be pretty busy. Pretty sure that my Dad and I will be able to drop in for a game or two, though.
    G'day Jon!
    Great that you can join us again this year & will look forward to meeting up with you & dad again.

Cheers Barry.

I will attend, it's just that with family and possible cricketing commitments I'm not sure how long I'll be there and to what degree I'll be able to participate.

The rules in use will be the 1-page (double sided) summary at http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/dow...o=file&id=1367
    These are basically the rules as written, but with an improved, simplified altitude system.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

Cool fix

Hi How was CanCon 2014. Carlo and his son Ben attended from the NWS .....with a few others from the west. Have you any pics or stories to share.......Stephen
    Last edited by STEPHEN NAPIER; 01-27-2014 at 07:17. Reason: spelling

and it worked......SALUTE 2014 here I come.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    It's not the travel or the distance its the damage to the wallet, train fair, petrol, hotel. Then what would I have left to buy aircraft with? Triples was just about right. 2.5 hour drive each way and I got the full weekend in. I'm just narked that the shows up this end of the country are one day only. We need a two day event.

I'll wait until my daughter moves back to London then its a lovely excuse to visit.."oh and by the way dear (swmbo) there's a convention on, can I just pop in?". but I think I might just be..
    See you on the Dark Side......

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by STEPHEN NAPIER View Post
    Hi How was CanCon 2014. Carlo and his son Ben attended from the NWS .....with a few others from the west. Have you any pics or stories to share.......Stephen
    G'day Stephen! Yes mate I have posted reports on Day one & Day two down in the Officers Club (with some pics!) Day three report tomorrow.

Users Country Flag

Blog Entries
    Name
    Stephen
    Sorties Flown

I'm off to the officers club as soon as I've finished in the mess. Thanks

Nice reports.

Sorry to have missed it. I was rushed through Cancon with two under-fours in my charge as Mrs Fish had a Very Important Engagement at the last minute.

I looked fro you guys where you were last year but there was a boardgames retailer there.

Nevermind, might get to day 2 of Wintercon.

Chance would be a fine thing.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by muzfish4 View Post
    Nice reports.

Sorry to have missed it. I was rushed through Cancon with two under-fours in my charge as Mrs Fish had a Very Important Engagement at the last minute.

I looked fro you guys where you were last year but there was a boardgames retailer there.

Nevermind, might get to day 2 of Wintercon.

Chance would be a fine thing.
    G'day Muz.
    Yes we were moved to the large hall near the entrance & coffee shop where they located a number of Demo/pick up games.
    I expect to be at Wintercon at least one day to do a WW2 demo. Zoe will be doing WW1 as usual.

Cheers Baz.

Geez, no wonder I couldn't see you guys - that place was pretty packed for most of the time I was there.

Thumbs up

Chris (Halvo) & I will be there on the Saturday so hope to catch up with you then.

Chris (Halvo) & I will be there on the Saturday so hope to catch up with you then.
    Hi guys,

I am trying to get my leave extended so I can come to Wintercon this year, nothing concrete yet but they owe me!!

Also on July 5 which is the weekend before there is a flying event at Temora, west of Canberra, WW2 to Korea. They will be flying the Spitfire, the Hudson and the Sabre!!!

http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/vis...tes/index.html

Too good to pass up.

Thumbs up

Hope you can make it Carl!
    We need your WW2 expertise.

Similar Missions

1. Prague Summer Con 2014
    By Thomatchef in forum Past Prague Summer Cons
    Replies: 520
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 05:42
  2. Salute 2014 - stand up and be counted
    By Guntruck in forum UK Wing