Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1:144 Doms Decals

Default 1:144 Doms Decals

For those that use Doms Decals he still has some supplies of 1:144 decals.
    I have just ordered some 1918 straight sided German crosses from him.
    I sent him an e-mail to confirm whether he had some and he suggested doing a search and then ordering through his website as normal.
    He also said that he will be getting a stock of the Series 4 minis when they are released.
    Don

Thanks for the info Burt. Very useful.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Yes, very useful. Didn't think of doing a search when he took them off the main decal page.

Also asked Dom to put aside a set of Series 4 (rubs hands in anticipation).
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Wait, he took the WoW decals off his page? I can't get to his page from work, but does this mean he's no longer printing them?

Dom's had a bit of a problem with the printer(s) he uses. They are of a type that uses white ink and are no longer made, and have now gone to printer Heaven. He has a couple of older printers, but they weren't able to handle the processes needed to produce some of the sheets - mainly the 1/144 WW! stuff. Therefore, albeit temporarily these were removed from the site.

However, as Don says, if you use the search facility and enter 'crosses', then the WW1 stuff should come up - well, it did for me last night at any rate.

Lookiing at the site, Dom's bought another couple of printers, so hopefully normal service will be restored as soon as possible.

Thanks for that Don - very helpful

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for that info, O good and trusty wingman. I've had the same trouble with that one, and I knew Dom was having printer issues, so just assumed that he had sold out of decals.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Sorry but I've just found out about this post and joined to correct it - my WWI range is not available - because of the way my site works, I can't "hide" an item from the search function, that's all. I have virtually no WWI stock, but just happened to have the one sheet that Don was after, so told him he could order it that way - that doesn't generally hold true, and any orders received will simply be refunded. I'm not expecting the new printers until August, so there's very little prospect of the range returning before then.

Dom.

Thanks for the update and clarification Dom.

In the words of the immortal bard: "Oh bugger!"

Hello Dom, welcome to the site. Any chance you can tell us what you have got in the way of WW1 stock if any, in case anyone wants it?

Welcome to the site Dom.
    John.

Sorry if I got everyone hopes up.
    I just thought I would pass on my experience to the WOW community.
    Dom sorry if I started an avalanche of e-mails ordering decals.
    Don
    Last edited by Burt; 07-01-2010 at 01:38. Reason: Spelling mistake

I would also like to welcome you to the site Dom, and hope to hear from you more. I have never had anything but excellent service from yourself, and am sorry to learn of your printer problem.
    Best wishes. Rob. Aka Flying Officer Kyte.

Welcome Dom. I agree with my wingman F.O.Kyte, I have always had excellent service from yourself. Tricky things those printer gadgets, glad I donot have one in my Sopwith camel. I have enough trouble with the vickers jamming!!!!

[ I have enough trouble with the vickers jamming!!!![/QUOTE]

You never got this problem until those evangelicals started bringing their guitars into church.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Sorry but I've just found out about this post and joined to correct it - my WWI range is not available - because of the way my site works, I can't "hide" an item from the search function, that's all. I have virtually no WWI stock, but just happened to have the one sheet that Don was after, so told him he could order it that way - that doesn't generally hold true, and any orders received will simply be refunded. I'm not expecting the new printers until August, so there's very little prospect of the range returning before then.

Dom.
    But they will be back? I sent you an email of encouragement as I would like to get some decals someday.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

They will probably be back in August when my new printers are due to arrive. Having had a look around the site here I think their days may be numbered however - I see Col Hajj is moving into decals, and his probable first release is unfortunately one I started working on 2 years ago - the WWI stuff's always been an iffy range economically, so if clashes like that are a possibility it might be time to cut my losses and leave him to it.

They will probably be back in August when my new printers are due to arrive. Having had a look around the site here I think their days may be numbered however - I see Col Hajj is moving into decals, and his probable first release is unfortunately one I started working on 2 years ago
    Fight back Dom! Start knocking out perspex aircraft bases and control boards

Bugger, that's me grounded again

(Paints arrived yesterday btw - cheers)

oh ha, ha, very funny! Thanks Colonel

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for letting me know they made it OK / sorry to see you busted for inciting mutiny....

As coincidences go the choice of Naval 9's an unfortunate one, but c'est la vie. I have a few half-done projects lurking on the backburner, so I guess at least it's an incentive for me to get them out there as soon as possible before calling it a day for the range - I posted WIP photos of Naval 9 last summer, so I probably ought to have finished them by now anyway....
    Last edited by Dom S; 07-02-2010 at 07:31.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dean
    Sorties Flown

But Dom, being in the UK your shipping costs would be lower to people this side of the pond (as the Yanks put it).

And there are quite a few of us Europeans that play this game....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

True to a point, but the USA accounts for nearly half of my 1/144 decal sales. Equally importantly, the squadron sets have always been *very* marginal products anyway - I have a sales target for each squadron sheet based on covering my costs plus minimum wage for the hours worked, and only one sheet has ever exceeded it. Naval 9, given that it's also being done by the Colonel, will almost certainly be a loss-maker. Given that, spending time and money on new releases that may turn out to be available elsewhere is clearly not viable, so the sensible thing to do is finish off the projects I've started as soon as possible and wrap it up. The existing stuff will stay available (when I can actually print it....) but that'll be it. I've always found it a borderline viable range anyway, so barring the odd "labour of love" if I decide I really fancy something for my own collection rather than on commercial grounds, it's probably a good time for me to call it a day for the biplanes, focus my time on my other more successful ranges, and wish the Colonel luck.

Given that I've already landed Steve in hot water on the subject, it's probably best if we knock this topic on the head now and consider the matter closed....

Dom.
    Last edited by Dom S; 07-02-2010 at 09:03.

NeilCFord

Dom

You didn't land Steve in hot water, he did that all on his own It would seem he gets grounded on a regular basis.

- Neil.

Yeah, no worries Dom. I actually contacted you about a year or so ago about doing Naval 9 for me as a custom job... I did not know at the time you were already working on it.

As for Guntruck, he is always in hot water so I just thought I'd give him some potatoes to boil for it.

Default An appeal to the Col.

Col Hajj, sir.
    As I have only just caught up with this thread again, I must put in a word for my wingman. He is a young hot headed pilot with a lot of potential, who has shown his metal by flying many successful missions, and is probably under strain. As his senior officer I can only say that any waywardness on his part should have been spotted and dealt with by myself. Therefore any blame in this unfortunate matter, will be mine. I therefore beg clemency for Guntruck on this occasion and will watch his back more carefully in the future.
    Respectfully yours. F.O. Kyte. Major.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    He is a young hot headed pilot with a lot of potential, who has shown his metal by flying many successful missions, and is probably under strain.
    A weekend on the post should do him some good then.

Beg pardon Col., not my place to intervene but I believe headhunters said the same of their captives, and they weren't much use for anything except a sort of grizzly game of soccer afterwards. I too plead clemency for Guntruck. After he's made enough chips (fries) to go round, of course.
    With due respect. Lt. Bumblie3.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Aha, the penny drops - yes I remember it now Keith - you were looking for someone to do Naval 9, saw the WIPs on my site and dropped me a line, but I replied that they were causing me considerable trouble getting right and would be unlikely to surface for quite some time if at all (a year later and still unfinished, I guess I got that bit right at least.... )
    Last edited by Dom S; 07-03-2010 at 03:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Col Hajj, sir.
    As I have only just caught up with this thread again, I must put in a word for my wingman. He is a young hot headed pilot with a lot of potential, who has shown his metal by flying many successful missions, and is probably under strain. As his senior officer I can only say that any waywardness on his part should have been spotted and dealt with by myself. Therefore any blame in this unfortunate matter, will be mine. I therefore beg clemency for Guntruck on this occasion and will watch his back more carefully in the future.
    Respectfully yours. F.O. Kyte. Major.
    Oi Powdermeister, not so much of the young thank you very much! Stuff the potatoes, I'm off to Paris with Lord Flasheart for a bit of R&R with the mesdamemoiselles. I'll bring you back a stick of rock.

Dom.
    I just discovered this thread and my heart took a leap when I saw it.

Thank you so much for clarifying things Dom. I remember your email telling me that it would be August when WWI returns.

I can wait.

I guess the motto of this "if you don't use them, you lose them".
    Small traders like Dom work on a shoestring so if we like their products we should try and support them as much as possible, our hobby would so much the poorer without them.
    Keep up the good work Dom.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Oi Powdermeister, not so much of the young thank you very much! Stuff the potatoes, I'm off to Paris with Lord Flasheart for a bit of R&R with the mesdamemoiselles. I'll bring you back a stick of rock.
    Sorry about the young bit. I was just trying to add some verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative. Don't worry I will take care of Joanna and Ludo whilst you are away, and keep them away from all these fresh faced new recruits who have just turned up.
    Kyte.
    P.S. If you can get any phonograph discs while in Paris the mess will be most appreciative.
    K.

Aha, the penny drops - yes I remember it now Keith - you were looking for someone to do Naval 9, saw the WIPs on my site and dropped me a line, but I replied that they were causing me considerable trouble getting right and would be unlikely to surface for quite some time if at all (a year later and still unfinished, I guess I got that bit right at least.... )
    Well, I feel your pain on it. I've been working with my decal guy on it for nearly a year now my self... I think we just about have it nailed down now though.

Just want to chime in with some more support for your decals Dom. I've bought all of your squadron decal sheets so far, and will continue to do so with anything new you put out. The level of work you put into each sheet is amazing, and I'd consider them a bargain at twice the price.

While I plan to buy the Aerodrome offerings as well when they come out, I am highly doubtful that they will be of comparable quality, and will remain so until I have the decals successfully applied to one of my models. The experience I have has with other vendors' decals has shown to me that you make a superior product. Even if the new decals compete in quality, the 4 available schemes to your standard 12 will not.

If you do decide not to continue with new decals, I still intend to buy more sets of the ones you already offer when you're back on-line for such possibilities as Jasta 18 Albatrosses, or Lafayette Escadrille Spad VIIs.

I'm with Todd, Dom. I've bought decals and miniatures from you in the past, and I will most certainly do so again, when you are back on line. Your work is first class, and you have always been courteous and helpful. That counts for a great deal in my book. Roll on August.

John.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Thanks gents - I'll plead guilty to a good product (helps that my regular paper supplier is absolutely first rate) but "courteous and helpful" is stretching things....

Thumbs up 1:144 Doms Decals

Dom!
    Remember they are all gentlemen here! Being a Yank i m not familiar with your product line. Do you offer WW2 144 decals as well?

Rich
    Last edited by richard m schwab; 07-04-2010 at 15:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    While I plan to buy the Aerodrome offerings as well when they come out, I am highly doubtful that they will be of comparable quality, and will remain so until I have the decals successfully applied to one of my models.
    Todd, there's a big pile of potatoes in need of peeling, and I think you just volunteered

John's right Dom, you have a good rep for quality and service above and beyond. I could bore the a**e off everyone telling them about the help you gave with my Russo-Finnish game, and the 1/200 decals you did for it, but I won't (Oh, I just did! ).

It's a shame that the WW1 decals don't prove popular enough to make a go of it.
    Last edited by Guntruck; 07-05-2010 at 01:01.

NeilCFord

Todd, there's a bit pile of potatoes in need of peeling, and I think you just volunteered
    Nice move sir, nice move!

-Neil.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

C'est la vie Steve, and a firm no to WW2 in 144 I'm afraid Richard - it's not a remotely popular option this side of the pond. I've always suspected the ready availability of diecasts, especially the 21st Century ones when Walmart had them, was what lead to 1/144 WW2 becoming popular States-side; certainly there was no equivalent over here, and it never took off in the same way - almost all airheads over here are 1/600 or 1/300 gamers, with the odd freak, sorry Flack, using 1/200 even before the Dawn Of War models came along....

Unhappy 1:144 Doms Decals

Dom!

That is terrible. On this side of the pond an air head is normally 18 ,female and from California! It must be the common language barrier?

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Sadly we don't have many 18 year old female Californians over here (although if you want to post me a couple that'd be fine), and the air-heads I'm acquainted with are generally 40-something, male, and as slim and attractive as me. Poor buggers.... On the plus side, several of them share my Brewster Buffalo fetish, so it's not all bad....

Dom!

They are out of stock on this side of the Atlantic Shore also. You are describing most of the gamers i know also. You may have seen these if not do not drool.

Rich

http://oldglory25s.com/view_product.php?product=AUS08
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AUS08.jpg  

Todd, there's a bit pile of potatoes in need of peeling, and I think you just volunteered
    You take exception to my statement that the new product is unlikely to compare favorably to Dom's? Don't get me wrong, I hope it's a quality product, but setting aside we already know it won't compete in price and quantity, I recognize an exceptional product as just that; one that is not the norm. My experience with other decal lines has shown me that they tend not to be of similar quality (in part due to paper and printing quality, as Dom has pointed out), so I'm not going to assume the new decals are any different until I see evidence. It's no slight against the designer of the new line, just a skeptical assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudotheist View Post
    You take exception to my statement that the new product is unlikely to compare favorably to Dom's? Don't get me wrong, I hope it's a quality product, but setting aside we already know it won't compete in price and quantity, I recognize an exceptional product as just that; one that is not the norm. My experience with other decal lines has shown me that they tend not to be of similar quality (in part due to paper and printing quality, as Dom has pointed out), so I'm not going to assume the new decals are any different until I see evidence. It's no slight against the designer of the new line, just a skeptical assertion.
    Nope, don't take exception at all. Just a small joke.

Guntruck I think you are describing 'Essex Girls' except they usually speak 'Estuary English'

And Dom, you may not recall, but you were extremely helpful to me.
    John.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

You must've caught me on a good day - I'm reliably informed I'm an ill-tempered arse, which I have always felt is a conclusion not entirely lacking in merit....

I thought Ludo was game, but Joanna's too upright.
    I always had her down as a grand baby.
    As for Dom in all my dealings with him he has proved himself to be a complete orificer and a gentleman. His helpfulness has gone beyond the realms, and is rapidly becoming a legend on this side of the pond, whatever he may tell you.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 07-05-2010 at 07:11.

Dom!

I did jury duty several years ago. Being somewhat interested in proceeding`s of the trial we we sitting on. Most of my fellow jury just wanted to go home. I asked several questions and actually had one written down by the bailiff and passed to the judge. This took time and answered one of the major problems i had with the case. We voted and the case was closed. The next week i am sitting in the jury waiting room. When i overhear this conversation. " I hope the a*****e who held us up last week is not here" I looked over and smiled at the person who said that.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    Steve!

It sounds like something you would not want to mix in a rail yard!

I see your penal servitude sentence is over. to say nothing of your spudishment!

Rich
    It would probably made more sense if I'd used the correct term - tread-head not track-head

Yes, I hid most of the spuds under Kyte's mattress. He keeps complaining that the bed's lumpy now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. 1/200 WWII decals
    By check6 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-27-2012, 16:03
  2. WoW 1/144?
    By costampede in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 05:35
  3. What experience with Reviresco Decals?
    By Guntruck in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-15-2010, 05:26
  4. Decals
    By Grinneth42 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 07:05
  5. 1/144 wargaming
    By Captain Bigglesmay in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 07:13