Ares Games

Thread: Richard Bradley's WWII solo rules.

Default Richard Bradley's WWII solo rules.

I came across this problem today when flying my Me 110 with an N deck.
    Richard does not seem to have done solo decks for the later releases in WWII.
    Has anyone else come up against this problem, and if so have you any solutions to it?
    Rob.

I used the solo rules only for Pacific Warfare so far...

I'm addapting the rules so that you have a 2 card option when dicing on the direction chart. Also incorporated the Right Left Tail Nose positions to allow for a more realistic reaction for the solo plane rather than just a single card for a single 1/12 direction.

I will be very interested to view the outcome of your rules amendments once they are done Paul.
    At the moment I am just altering the moves manually if they are obviously silly.
    Rob.

i'll try and tart them up over the week end .

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tom
    Sorties Flown

i've heard so much about Richard Bradley's solo rules. Where do I find them?
    trumpetman52

In most games, the solo machines are like bees around a honey pot. Then funnily there are the odd games where a few silly moves all crop up in one game. I am happy when the dammned artificial intelligence gives me a breather....

Quote Originally Posted by Blauer Baron View Post
    In most games, the solo machines are like bees around a honey pot. Then funnily there are the odd games where a few silly moves all crop up in one game. I am happy when the dammned artificial intelligence gives me a breather....
    I quite agree, But equally the AI moves can be totaly off the wall and thats when a helping hand (or brain) comes in usefull

I have adapted some of Richards solo rules for C and D decks. I have them as a PDF so if anyone wants to test fly them and give me some feedback PM me with you e mail and I will bounce them on.

Hi everyone!

I have done the new planes for Wings of Glory WW2...some are on our website now, but I have decided to reformat them to the same style as the original decks.
    They will all be on our downloads page soon, I hope, till then please contact me at richardbradley5@gmail and I will send them 'hot off the press'.
    Yes, I have done the ME110 and Bristol Beaufighter tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    I quite agree, But equally the AI moves can be totaly off the wall and thats when a helping hand (or brain) comes in usefull
    Bonjour mon ami! - The WW2 game is FAR harder to work out than the WW1 game, that is because of the way the cards are used. I am very aware they can sometimes make less than ideal moves, but cannot see any way of making it more intuitive.
    I suggest if a patently silly move is diced, simply replace it with a more sensible one!
    I usually play games with a few aircraft each side, and this tends to make the weaknesses in the system less noticeable..at least to me!

Happy gaming anyway!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Great ! Many thanks Richard. Very useful !

Thanks for doing the new aircraft Richard.
    Your suggestion for the off the wall moves seems very reasonable. If a move seems silly, I just turn thr aircraft in question toward its nearest enemy for one card.
    Rob.

Same here, especially when I fly solo missions with the CR.42's and Gladiator's, which have no matching decks either in Bradley's rules. I change maneuvers if they don't make sense or if it's obvious two enemy aircraft are going to collide and it could be avoided.

Actually, I enjoy playing solo games leaving that space for improvisation, as my ghost planes respect acceleration rules, special damage and advanced movement rules. I've found out my pilots end up having more trouble than not, call me a masochist if you want... but where's the thrill in playing it the 'easy' way otherwise?
    Last edited by PonchoLatour; 10-15-2013 at 04:06.

Quote Originally Posted by PonchoLatour View Post
    Same here, especially when I fly solo missions with the CR.42's and Gladiator's, which have no matching decks either in Bradley's rules. I change maneuvers if they don't make sense or if it's obvious two enemy aircraft are going to collide and it could be avoided.

Actually, I enjoy playing solo games leaving that space for improvisation, as my ghost planes respect acceleration rules, special damage and advanced movement rules. I've found out my pilots end up having more trouble than not, call me a masochist if you want... but where's the thrill in playing it the 'easy' way otherwise? :P
    Hi there, the Gloster Gladiator is done and available on our club website..though a better formatted version is available directly from me till Andy gets to update the website versions.
    Does the CR42 use a different deck? - which deck does it use. If its not already done, please let me know and I will get on the case!

Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    Hi there, the Gloster Gladiator is done and available on our club website..though a better formatted version is available directly from me till Andy gets to update the website versions.
    Does the CR42 use a different deck? - which deck does it use. If its not already done, please let me know and I will get on the case!
    Mmm that sounds interesting Would it possible to get a hand on those rules? Thanks in advance!

And yes, the CR.42 uses exactly the same deck as the Gladiator - about which I have some concerns but that'll be a matter for a new thread

Hi everyone!

Andy at our club has managed to get all the reformatted files and the ME110 / Beaufighter up on our website!
    The link is, of course: http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html

I hope you enjoy using them!

Cool New files now available!

Hi everyone, I have just got my hands on the 4 new late war fighters, and Andy at our club has managed to upload the new solo rules onto our club download page http://tynesidewargames.co.uk/wowrules.html

Now you can solo against the Spitfire 9, Mustang D, KI84 Hayate and Focke-Wulf 190!

Please let me know if you want anything changed in these files or have any models you need solo rules for by E-Mail at richardbradley5@gmail.com.

Happy gaming!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Olivier
    Sorties Flown

Many Thanks for this update Richard. As usual, very useful !

Thank you very much, Richard.

Solo Rules downloaded!
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Thanks Richard.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks to Richard for his solo rules and PDF's. I played my first WWII game with them tonight. The Metellini Re2001 vs the Lott P40F. I flew the P40 and it was not all one sided. The Re2001 got in the first shot and set me on fire with a damage of 3 to start with. Because I was hitting him with a combo of an A and a B I caused more damage that eventually won the day for me but it was a bit tense picking up the A card every turn whilst on fire. The last damage I hit him with was a 6 and he already had an 8 hit from the B's. I did have to reverse his course once to save flying off of the table but all in all it was a very good experience.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Thanks to Richard for his solo rules and PDF's. I played my first WWII game with them tonight. The Metellini Re2001 vs the Lott P40F. I flew the P40 and it was not all one sided. The Re2001 got in the first shot and set me on fire with a damage of 3 to start with. Because I was hitting him with a combo of an A and a B I caused more damage that eventually won the day for me but it was a bit tense picking up the A card every turn whilst on fire. The last damage I hit him with was a 6 and he already had an 8 hit from the B's. I did have to reverse his course once to save flying off of the table but all in all it was a very good experience.
    Glad everything worked out and you had a great game as a result. I am going to take a much closer look at Richard's Rules based on your success in order to start playing Solitaire with shots involved. Up until now all of my Solitaire games have related to training / familiarization and all the non-shot firing stuff ready for the next time I have a live opponent firing at me ...

I use the diceless solo chart produced on here by Blackronin it's excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    I usually move the planes back using 2 rulers so one doesnt go off table, myself. However, I totally agree with replacing a card with another if it makes more sense to you!
    I havent played Blackronins diceless charts. I imagine they will work well, as he has done good variants of my rules in the past. Its good to have choice. One system will work for one, another for someone else, I am not so arrogant as to believe mine are the only good ones, or should be the only ones people should use!!!

I have never used any solo play rules for WGF.

Should I use Richard's solo rules first, and then progress on to Blackronin's diceless charts, or would I be better off going straight for the new system?

I'm leaning towards the former - I feel I would miss out on the full 'solo games experience' journey, but I have very limited time available for solo play.

Similar Missions

1. Richard Bradley's Advanced Solo Rules question
    By Gallo Rojo in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 11:16
  2. Solo Pacific Dogfight with Richard Bradley Rules
    By Blackronin in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-07-2012, 04:01
  3. 2nd Solitaire game with Richard Bradley solo rules adapted by me
    By Blackronin in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7