Ares Games

Thread: Table Top

Default Table Top

Hi everyone! I just thought I would touch bases and get some other opinions before making my new table top playing area. I wanted a nice 4'x6', stowable surface and ran across this site: http://gamer-geek.com/?p=176

Seems like just the ticket to build a simple table top that can be easily moved, transported, and hidden. I am making a couple of modifications to these plans -- since I have more space, I am cutting the plywood (3/4") into two pieces of 4'x3'. From what I read here, 4'x3' seems a decent size for a small game, and easy to maneuver; placing the two together provides for larger games, and tournament space in case I decide to try my hand at other wargames. Do you concur?

I am also adding a small brass latch to either side of the centerline to help hold the halves together. The top will be a Citadel Battlemat, which has received good reviews and which I purchased for a good price at my LGS. I am using wallpaper glue as the adhesive, on the advice of the proprietor; his came out looking great and very smooth. To finish it off I am adding a border of white molding to the edge. I'll post pictures when it is completed. I have all the parts and will assemble next weekend.

If this works out well, I can build other 4'x3' sections to add dedicated areas, for instance water. What do you think?

Cheers!

Sounds just the job to me. My first table was 6' x 4' and divided in just the same way as 2 3x4.
    I joined mine with two bolts and wingnuts through the bearers underneath. Later I added an end section to make it 6'x 8' for ordinary wargames. This made it very versatile and gave a variety of size options. Can't wait to see your table.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Looks like a solid plan for a table. I am lucky enough to have the space for a 4x6 that I can leave standing, but I would go modular if I had to.

Something I did with mine was bolt ikea legs on that unscrew - at Christmas when the basement gets used more, I can easily put my 4x6 into my furnace room and I have the space back!
    The legs were under $10 and the wood just 5/8 so it was cheap enough. The table has been painted and textured for winter themed gaming for my 40k/warhammer games but also allows for a mat or cloth to be put on top.

Rob, that is a great idea using bearers underneath the table -- guess I didn't need to buy 3/4" plywood... What size bearers did you use? I would just have to extend them the length of the wood so they become the base. Your method would be far easier than hand drilling into the edge of the wood to place the dowels, and getting all the holes lined up just right. Hmmm...

Grant, thanks for the Ikea idea (love Ikea). Right now I have both a pool table and a large dining room table to place the table top on -- but I will keep it in mind, especially if I end up taking the table places where a free-standing table is needed.

Hi James.
    I used 1/4 " plywood for the top. Framed the edges with 1and 1/2" x 1" softwood, and cross bearers of the same every 18". Light but rigid. This sits on my dining table with an overlap of about a foot either side. If I use the extension, I put a painting trestle under the end.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 06-29-2010 at 00:38. Reason: Dyslexia.

Finished my table last night, with my wife's help (she is an engineer and much better at such things than I; had some good ideas including the latches, which she picked out). I think it turned out pretty well for my first go. I did not use the doweling in the join between the two halves; just turned out to be too much of a hassle to try and drill, and with the weight of the 3/4" wood I don't believe it will be needed. If I had this to do again I would buy 1/4 or 1/2" plywood and add a frame underneath like Rob suggested. I think this would be a much simpler method of joining the two halves as well as resulting in a much lighter table.

Anyway, here are a few pics. Now if I can just find some players in Tucson!

Cheers,
    KW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2832.jpg   IMG_2833.jpg   IMG_2834.jpg  
    Last edited by KiltedWolf; 07-06-2010 at 08:57. Reason: Giving credit where credit is due (my wife!)

Great looking table, a quality effort following just the right amount of planning! Now fill it up with planes and more photos

Aye, aye sir and thank you!

KW

Very smart job James. You could have a whist drive on that. It would even be superb to play Wings Of War on.
    Rob.

Thank you Rob! I looked up Whist -- sounds like a good card game to know; I'll be adding it to the family game-night list.

And it was superb to play WoW on -- played our first game this evening!!

Cheers,
    KW

Brilliant. Thanks for posting this. There are a couple in my group that might be interested. I am lucky enough to have a 4' x 6' flocked folding table, but they are eager to build something.

Thanks! Matt, when you say a flocked folding table, what exactly do you mean? Could you post a picture of yours?

Cheers,

KW

I got one of these tables second hand. The guy I bought it from got it from this site:

http://www.war-zone.com/shop/tabletops.html

His table tops are nice, but they are too expensive. I have not checked prices lately, but he used to charge too much, (in my opinion).

Here are a few pics of our table being used. (You need to click first couple of images, they would not embed)

I like that design -- and they are on sale right now. I could see picking one up to use at cons and such; very compact and light for carrying in the car. Of course I couldn't have built my table without my wife's help (she is an engineer) and she would not be happy if I used this at home instead of our table. But, if I kept it out of sight in the garage...

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-04-2010, 21:55
  2. Table Assistance
    By Volant Gun in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 00:08
  3. Building a Flat Top
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-04-2010, 16:26
  4. Leaving the table