Ares Games

Thread: Valom Sopwith PUP

Default Valom Sopwith PUP

I am now the proud owner of 1 box with 2 Valom Sopwith PUP's in it. I must say that when I opened the box (its big isn't it?) I thought I'd been ripped off thinking that the bag was only 1 Pup. But no on closer inspection it had 2 Sopwith Pup's in it. Now my question is, having never used metal etchins before, How easy are they to apply or should I replace them if so with what?

Any points as to how to proceed would be gratefully appreciated. (no puns on follow steps 1, 2 and 3 please).

Neil

I don't understand the dislike on the site for etched parts, they are nicer in proportion than plastic at this scale and being brass they are stronger than they appear . . . have fun! I have been anxious to get the DVII over here since I have half a dozen Pups already : ) Although I have over a dozen DVIIs - I need therapy for sure! Why won't any one on the site help those of us who are hopelessly addicted!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    I don't understand the dislike on the site for etched parts, they are nicer in proportion than plastic at this scale and being brass they are stronger than they appear . . . have fun! I have been anxious to get the DVII over here since I have half a dozen Pups already : ) Although I have over a dozen DVIIs - I need therapy for sure! Why won't any one on the site help those of us who are hopelessly addicted!!!!!!!
    What is your definition of 'help'?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles downunder View Post
    What is your definition of 'help'?
    Providing 1/144 kits free of charge on the National Health Service

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Providing 1/144 kits free of charge on the National Health Service
    What a great idea. I need a repeat prescription!

Ian

Just remember Ian that on the NHS, you will be charged more than the items on your prescription, and at least two of them will be left off, or you will get the nearest equivalent by a cheaper manufacturer, and it won't be up to the standard that you expected.
    Rob.

Not if you are over 60, one over the few advantages of being an 'Old Git' like me.
    Burt

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Just remember Ian that on the NHS, you will be charged more than the items on your prescription

Being an old git still doesn't stop my local chemist from never having my full description. "I'm sorry, we have the Fokkers, but only half the
    Pups. Can you come back tomorrow?"

I replaced the struts with plastic rod, but having done so I think I am now of a mind with Clipper so will be putting my Fokkers together using the etched brass struts. But the etched brass throttle controls will be binned!!! And has anyone successfully folded the EB tailskid in half??? Hello??!! This is 1/144 not 1/72!

And while on the subject of Valom Pups, DO NOT put one together in a room with a light grey carpet! I think I have spent more time on my hands and knees looking for dropped bits that I have sticking the things together...
    Last edited by Guntruck; 08-14-2013 at 05:20.

Thank you all for the kind words of help. I shall endeavour during my convalescence to assemble said Pups to the best of my ability with brass etchings. I must be mad......but it helps.

Photoetched parts can be the devil if you've not built with them before. I use a set of forceps to hold on to the part before cutting it from the sprue, otherwise, they have a tendency to fly off in a random direction. Once loose, I would stick them to a piece of masking tape to keep track of them. You also have to make sure you use a CA glue (superglue) when gluing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    And while on the subject of Valom Pups, DO NOT put one together in a room with a light grey carpet! I think I have spent more time on my hands and knees looking for dropped bits that I have sticking the things together...
    An Oatmeal carpet has the same camo qualities for brass, I did start with the brass but knocked off the pup from my table, now replacing struts with plastic rod

Any carpet works for me with my eyesight.
    I wish I could get my hand on the designer who had the idea to do away with trouser turnups.
    Rob.

These tips will come in really useful. I've a parcel at the post office and it should be a D.VII kit. I'll dig out my turn-ups tonight and try to avoid any flying struts tomorrow.

Good luck with the build Neil.

Ian

Building Over Carpet At All = NO ES BUENO.

Similar Missions

1. Heads-up on Valom Fokker D.VII availability
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-2013, 05:53
  2. Valom Fokker DVII
    By Timmo UK in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 05:14
  3. More Valom kits
    By Guntruck in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 8