Ares Games

Thread: transport planes

Default transport planes

Since I played the mission against Bv222 with Thomatchef and I finished Li-2 miniature manufactured by Zvezda what I bought, I was thinking about some air supply or paradrop missions. Here are the results of my thoughts:
    1. The parachute card:
    The use can be same as bomb card or with some modifications (see the chart below) due to lower speed of transport plane.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	padáky2.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	102950

2. Movement cards for transport planes:
    They are little longer then normal cards due to the different manipulation with these cards.
    The base of the transport plane moves only the lenght of the arrow.

Name:	straight.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	102951

3. PDF file:
    Movement cards and four parachute cards ready to print.
    air transport cards.pdf

4. The chart:
    Here the movement and parachute drop can be seen.

Name:	chart.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	102948

Enjoy

I think that it would be nice to let the troops go down one level each turn after you have launched them, so the opponent may have a chance to do the dirty job. This means the troops should be released from above a certain altitude (lets say 3-4). Because there is a cloud of them, they can get a hit number as well (say 15). Then the side that launched the troops can score 1 point for whoever has landed. The plane will score points separately for a successful/partially successful launch. Just an idea

I was thinking especially about the air supply missions over the Stalingrad. Your idea sounds good and worth testing.

Landing troops and supplies have a slight modifier from simple bombing missions, as winds aloft will affect them much more directly. Wind velocity will drift supplies about an inch per 10mph of the wind, in the direction of the wind. And troops being lighter will drift twice to three times as far. This will help you reflect such things as dropping supplies to the enemy instead of friendlies. Oops factor must be considered during resupply missions.

Nice cards, Kubajs.

Problem with damage points for paratroopers:

Airborne operations need air superiority.

I can't imagine a scenario with enemy fighters wich decimate the jumped paratroopers.

The idea with supply goods is great!

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Landing troops and supplies have a slight modifier from simple bombing missions, as winds aloft will affect them much more directly. Wind velocity will drift supplies about an inch per 10mph of the wind, in the direction of the wind. And troops being lighter will drift twice to three times as far. This will help you reflect such things as dropping supplies to the enemy instead of friendlies. Oops factor must be considered during resupply missions.
    I like the idea of the wind direction effect Al. It could make the drop far more interesting. I assume the higher the drop the greater the drift off the target?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I like the idea of the wind direction effect Al. It could make the drop far more interesting. I assume the higher the drop the greater the drift off the target?
    Rob.
    ... unless you have different air masses at different levels, with the potential for wind at different directions and strengths: and in that case, don't forget updraughts associated with ridgelines, warm bodies of water and large industrial complexes, or windshear downdraughts that can drop you like a stone.

For playability purposes, I'd suggest the higher you drop should just mean the more turns you can drift (in one direction and speed). K.I.S.S!

That said, any drift rule you implement must have some random variable in it, otherwise it would be too easy to simply 'aim off' for wind and ensure everything lands on the DZ 100% of the time.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 08-09-2013 at 05:07. Reason: Add'n'l info

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    For playability purposes, I'd suggest the higher you drop should just mean the more turns you can drift (in one direction and speed). K.I.S.S!
    That's what I was thinking.
    Thanks Balders.
    Rob.

Rob.
    Depends on wind velocity and aircraft speeds. Saw a jump at Fryar Field once, the birds came in at full power and dropped at 2000 ft. Most of the people landed on reserves because the main chutes just about shredded from the wind blast, and landed around 5 miles away.

Now this was about 1961 or 62. But about 12 birds flew in, dropping I think about 20 paratroops each. And the scary part about the distance covered is that you drop faster on the smaller reserve chutes.
    Last edited by wargamer; 08-10-2013 at 21:51.

Name:	PICT0133.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	103503

Name:	PICT0142.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	122.6 KB 
ID:	103502

D-Day 60th Anniversary drop, Benouville (Pegasus Bridge), FRA 2004

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/album.php?albumid=1472
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 08-11-2013 at 05:28.

Balders

I make that to be about half a company assuming a few supply canisters in the mix. Very impressive show. Makes you wonder what the Market Garden and Dien Bien Phu Drops daylight really looked like!

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by richard m schwab View Post
    I make that to be about half a company assuming a few supply canisters in the mix. Very impressive show. Makes you wonder what the Market Garden and Dien Bien Phu Drops daylight really looked like!
    Ask, and ye shall receive! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhQlHDUbuLI

Brian

That is a great find! Thank you for sharing!

Rich

We played a transport plane mission yesterday, and the big boy is really hard to smack down. It is way too slow for Bf109 to hang behind. Excellent mission.

Sounds interesting... Will you write an AAR?

I played a mission once with two Ju52 and the both got shot down. I still was using the I deck for it so it flew way to fast. Must replay that mission with the newer available cards tough...

Thomas i have again forgotten my camera, so i won't do a real AAR, but went like this:

- 2 mats (sea and countryside, connected by the longer side)
    - 5 balloon barrage tokens in the middle (taken from Duel in the Dark) - 6 hits each, all at level 3
    the space between balloons was closed for flights at alt 3 and below
    - Yak and Russian Hurry on the fringe of the countryside mat, at level 4
    - 2xBf + 1x Me110 in the middle of the seaside mat, level 4

After 5 turns the big boy Russian Dacota appears somewhere on the fringe of the countryside, at alt 3, carrying the goal of the game - something on a parachute that shall be dropped anywhere on the little seaside town behind the barrage. The parachute card will drop straight down one alt level each turn. No wind or other factors considered.

The fighters were supposed to take down the balloons to open a gate for the big boy. When a balloon was destroyed the space between the neighboring balloons opened.
    If you hit the balloon or the space between tat is not opened, you are out.

The Dacota used the cards that you can download above and it was flying very very slowly. I was in Bf109, managed to get behind it, but soon found myself overlapping at different altitude. Then a big mistake - Stall after a Climb. I had to replace two of my following maneuvers by straight (i was to do Split-S) and screwed up completely.

The Dacota did it and then we agreed to pack up and go to get a beer. It was a very exciting mission which i recommend to all.
    We didn't decide if the thing on the parachute can be shot at, but i guess it should - that was the reason for letting it drop slowly. It deserves either to split to a number of different 1 hit targets after being dropped, or it shall have a damage number.

PS: I do strongly recommend to get a copy of Duel in the Dark. Not only is it a great game, but it includes great components as well - fuel/altitude dials, radar tokens, flak, balloon, truck, bunker, searchlight tokens, pathfinder flares, bombs, clouds and thunderstorms on stands ... it saves a lot of money on that.
    Last edited by Lino22; 08-21-2013 at 00:18.

What sort of price is it Jan.
    Amazon only have it in German version.
    Rob.

Rob it is a dual language game as far as i understand - my game has rules in both English and German. It should not be expensive, especially the expansion "Baby Blitz" that holds another load of nice components was on sale.

There was a mold problem though, and many of the base games were moldy, wet and stinky inside, so please make sure you get the second print.

Rob try boardgame geek.

What sort of price is it Jan.
    Amazon only have it in German version.
    Rob.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Cheers Neil.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Hmmm...
    Someone already has a nice card for the Li-2. Is that on the Forum somewhere?

I was putting together a template for more color schemes, but if someone already did the work...

Please see the nice paint jobs here: Official Lisunov Li-2 Painting Thread

Mike

PS: latest work:

Name:	<acronym title=WGS Work-Li-2 Transport Card.jpg  Views: 125  Size: 188.7 KB  ID: 138216" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 07-25-2014 at 17:55. Reason: card

I do not think that you should make the paratroops drop with so much forward motion. They provide far more wind resistance than a bomb.

Similar Missions

1. Zvezda 1/200 Li-2 Soviet transport plane
    By Thomatchef in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 07-28-2014, 00:20
  2. A better way to store, display and transport minis
    By pstapleton53 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 19:36
  3. Transport Dilemma
    By bsmith13 in forum Aerodrome Accessories
    Replies: 5