Ares Games

Thread: The Jackpot

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Default The Jackpot

I was telling my mother about my newest game obsession the other day when she came over to visit, and she informed me that my great, great grandfather (Cpl. Elmer Garrett) fought in WWI. I found out he was part of the 101st Signal Corp Battalion in France during 1918. She had an authentic photo of him in uniform that she has since given to me, as well a photo of his entire company from the time period.

The best thing was when she handed me a handful of post cards sent tio his family that were posted from Michigan, Florida, New York, England, and France that document his trip there, his stay on the lines, and his return trip. One card mentions a city in France named Toul that I think was real close to one of the operation areas of the Red Baron at one time (more research needed).

Cool stuff, indeed!

Cool story! I have a couple of them as well:

1. My Great-Granfather served as a medic in the Russian Army, I have a picture of him with his section, in uniform. We are Mennonite, so even being a medic was a radical thing to do.

2. I was born in Lahr, Schwarzwald, which is, from what my father told me, at a hospital near to where the Red Baron took gliding lessons. My father was a RCAF Air Traffic Controller, so I am sure there is some truth to the story!

I don't have any letters, though.

I do have a WW1 American "sewing kit" pouch, it held all the stuff that the troops would use to keep their kit together in the field. I just keep it in my toolbox. I have no idea how my father came across it.

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamBarkerVC View Post
    Cool story! I have a couple of them as well:

1. My Great-Granfather served as a medic in the Russian Army, I have a picture of him with his section, in uniform. We are Mennonite, so even being a medic was a radical thing to do.

2. I was born in Lahr, Schwarzwald, which is, from what my father told me, at a hospital near to where the Red Baron took gliding lessons. My father was a RCAF Air Traffic Controller, so I am sure there is some truth to the story!

I don't have any letters, though.

I do have a WW1 American "sewing kit" pouch, it held all the stuff that the troops would use to keep their kit together in the field. I just keep it in my toolbox. I have no idea how my father came across it.

Great story, Grant! The pictures, stories, and postcards all tend to give me great pride in my heritage (as well as enhance the atmosphere of gameplay).

P.S. I have great respect fro the Mennonite faith, as I'm a Baptist, myself.

That is a cool "find" Davot! My great, great-grandfather on my dad's side was an outlaw and gun slinger in the wild west. No honor and pride there, but pretty cool these days I guess. lol

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Excellent, Col. Hajj! Maybe not very honorable, but how would we know that the rest of us were honorable without someone showing us what dishonorable was?

Another of my past-times is Gutshot Wild West miniature game system. I'm a sucker for WW1, Wild West, and Pirate games and history.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Christoph
    Sorties Flown

Christoph here, My grandfather, Mom's dad, was an Army Corps of Engineers officer with the Old Hickory Brigade of the National Guard, during WWI. He was on the first troop ship which left out of Nova Scotia and on the last troop ship that arrived back in the USA in the port of Charleston, SC. We have the letter of welcome, sent to all the officers in that group, from King George. Plus my brother has his map case. I got his guns. Mom's brother was in PT boats during WWII and Army CID during the Korean.

My grandmother, Dad's mother, was in the US Army Air Force during WWI. Dad was a submariner during the Korean. Then I missed the Vietnam conflict by months while in the US Navy.

Don't ask about before that. It gets really involved, with almost every generation serving one way or another.

A real family tradition.

Christoph

Users Country Flag

Name
    David Thren
    Sorties Flown

Ok, after a little more research I found that my great, great grandfather served near Cosne & Nogent en-Bassigny, and was nowhere near the Red Baron's area. He was, however, posted to areas in which Rickenbacker was operating. He makes no specific mention in the postcards of any flying machines at all (bummer). I do have a card dated Oct. 27, 1918...the date of Rickenbacker's last victory, but that's as close as this search got to touching known history. Rickenbacker's victory was also confirmed way off to the northwest of where My grandad was stationed in Nogent en-Bassigny.

Cool stuff, nonetheless.