Ares Games

Thread: 68 years ago today - A Warning to New York

Default 68 years ago today - A Warning to New York

I hope that this story is not too painful for anyone.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/on-this-day...0869.html?vp=1

And the warning is - things protruding above the surface of the sea (hills, trees, buildings, etc) are likely to be hit by things attempting to fly above the surface of the earth (birds, aircraft, etc)!

A great piece of journalistic non-story attempting to make parallels between an aviation accident involving an aircraft with a maximum take-off weight of 35,000lb against a deliberately targetted attack using an aircraft with a max weight of between 250-270,000lb.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 07-28-2013 at 11:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    I hope that this story is not too painful for anyone.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/on-this-day...0869.html?vp=1
    The only painful aspect is the historical ignorance of the so-called Civilized World not knowing about this, Samuel Byck's failed assassination of Richard Nixon, and the end of the novel _The Running Man_; and thus having the unmitigated gall to act surprised when The Great Lawn-Darting of 2001 actually occurred.

The clues were all there -- but most people were too ignorant to look at them; or too arrogant to think "someone might actually be apes***-insane enough to try it".

Thanks for the update that it was today that this happened. I know of the event but not the date. Thanks for the reminder.

It was a total suprise to me. Just shows how out of touch with WWII I really am.
    Thanks for posting Dave. My education moves on a pace.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    The only painful aspect is the historical ignorance of the so-called Civilized World not knowing about this, Samuel Byck's failed assassination of Richard Nixon, and the end of the novel _The Running Man_; and thus having the unmitigated gall to act surprised when The Great Lawn-Darting of 2001 actually occurred.

The clues were all there -- but most people were too ignorant to look at them; or too arrogant to think "someone might actually be apes***-insane enough to try it".
    Not to mention a Tom Clancy novel with an airliner being deliberately crashed into the Capitol ('Debt of Honor' (sic), 1994).

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    It was a total suprise to me. Just shows how out of touch with WWII I really am.
    and how much of a non-WWII related non-story this aviation accident was.
    Last edited by Baldrick62; 07-28-2013 at 15:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick62 View Post
    Not to mention a Tom Clancy novel with an airliner being deliberately crashed into the Capitol ('Debt of Honor' (sic), 1994).
    I thought of that novel when I heard about the Twin Towers' crashes.
    karl

Actually, this whole article is somewhat of a non-sequitur. The fuel load of the B-25 vs that of Boeing 757 is hideously different. Add in the burning temperature between regular gasoline and jet fuel. And we are not talking apple and oranges, rather we are talking a pea versus a watermelon. It would be akin to saying because a 22 bullet can kill a man, a 16" shell is no different.

757-200 max fuel capacity, 11,489 gallons
    B-25 max fuel (without self-sealing tanks), 913 gallons
    with self-sealing tanks, 694 gallons.

Quote Originally Posted by wargamer View Post
    Actually, this whole article is somewhat of a non-sequitur. The fuel load of the B-25 vs that of Boeing 757 is hideously different. Add in the burning temperature between regular gasoline and jet fuel. And we are not talking apple and oranges, rather we are talking a pea versus a watermelon. It would be akin to saying because a 22 bullet can kill a man, a 16" shell is no different.
    Irrelevant -- only the scale changes; the principle still applies. To use your example: A .22 and a 16" will both kill a man; it's just a question of what shape the corpse will be in when it does so -- with the .22, the target will still be recognizable; with the 16", the funeral will held with a casket sealed over 200 lbs. of gravel.

That is just it. The scale doesn't change. A thousand gallons of burning gas does not melt the steel structure of a modern skyscraper. Otoh, 11k gallons of jet fuel will.

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Irrelevant -- only the scale changes; the principle still applies. To use your example: A .22 and a 16" will both kill a man; it's just a question of what shape the corpse will be in when it does so -- with the .22, the target will still be recognizable; with the 16", the funeral will held with a casket sealed over 200 lbs. of gravel.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Dale Brown also wrote a novel in 1995 called 'Storming Heaven' in which a Boeing 747 painted up as Air Force One is heading in the wrong hands for Washington DC.

However ... SPOILER ALERT!

It does not make it: With minutes to spare an unarmed Lockheed Martin F-16C rams the giant jet. A very good read.

Similar Missions

1. 71 Years Ago Today
    By ptownhiker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-10-2012, 13:13
  2. (Werner Voss) 95 years ago today ...
    By MoonSylver in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-27-2012, 06:21
  3. Re: Vapnartak at York.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 9